-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://abc13.com/houston-traffic-cowboy-marty-yates-rides-horse-to-rodeo-semi-final-calf-roper-winner/14524717/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A%20New%20Content%20(Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3V840J8y5MlWxoxLcjJ8R1Hb-uAahT_EnRBIAjK26VCj3lxuXfMKAw2Y4

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- There's nothing like a young cowboy's determination!

Marty Yates won his semi-final set at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo on Wednesday night, advancing to the finals in tie-down roping. But, it never would've happened if he let the infamous Houston traffic stand in his way.

The calf-roper's wife, Loni Kay Yates, captured the moment her husband decided it was now or never.

As the couple was sitting in traffic on I-610 near Fannin Street, they realized Marty Yates would never get to the rodeo in time for his set. So, being the cowboy he is, he gets out of their vehicle, unloads his horse, and rides the rest of the way to NRG Stadium!

Loni Kay Yates recorded her husband galloping away, hat on head and determination in heart. The video shows him passing up dozens of stalled vehicles on the packed highway.

In a cowboy fashion, he made it just in time and took home his victory.

"Marty Yates does what it takes to get to the Houston Short Round! We gotta provide for that baby, " the calf-roper's wife, Loni Kay Yates, said in a social media post." Finals bound in Houston!! He and our mare Cyndy won his semi-final set (Wednesday night) but barely made it due to Houston traffic."

The 29-year-old's hometown of Stephenville is about 270 miles northeast of Houston. Marty Yate's professional tie-down roping career began in 2012, and this year, he'll be going to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo finals.

Houston roads are no stranger to strange sightings.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, Highway 610, I know it well. I drove through Houston over 600 times in the Big Rig. My ears were glued to the radio am 740 when I was an hour outside of town, getting the traffic updates. If there was a jam on I-10, I would take the Perimeter 610. If there was a jam on 610, I took the Sam Houston.

I grew up in Atlanta, and Atlanta is notorious for having terrible traffic. Houston traffic is twice as bad.

I-10. If you are in Mobile, headed west to San Antonio, you are going through Houston, like it or not. God Help You if you are right in downtown Houston on I-10 on Friday afternoon at 4pm. Gonna take you 2 hours to get to Katy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good for him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Yes, Highway 610, I know it well. I drove through Houston over 600 times in the Big Rig. My ears were glued to the radio am 740 when I was an hour outside of town, getting the traffic updates. If there was a jam on I-10, I would take the Perimeter 610. If there was a jam on 610, I took the Sam Houston.

I grew up in Atlanta, and Atlanta is notorious for having terrible traffic. Houston traffic is twice as bad.

I-10. If you are in Mobile, headed west to San Antonio, you are going through Houston, like it or not. God Help You if you are right in downtown Houston on I-10 on Friday afternoon at 4pm. Gonna take you 2 hours to get to Katy.

Not exactly true. While its human nature to take the gamble because it should be the more efficient route, I decided a long time ago just to take the slow routes around H-Town from Mobile to SA. You have to time the route through Houston and Baton Rouge these days or you are stuck like chuck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Black Cows Matter!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder if Marty is related to Rowdy?

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
👍👍

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hell yeah that’s awesome! I hunted with Loni Kay’s dad and brother in west Texas. They’ve got a whitetail ranch down around Gonzales.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amarillo by morning........

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I'm shocked there isn't an uprising of white privilege protests encompassing the rodeo grounds. I thought this was only acceptable for minorities on crotch-rockets to weave through traffic like they're evading the police.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Not exactly true. While its human nature to take the gamble because it should be the more efficient route, I decided a long time ago just to take the slow routes around H-Town from Mobile to SA. You have to time the route through Houston and Baton Rouge these days or you are stuck like chuck.

You weren't driving an 18 wheeler.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.