Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm happy enough with my Gen 1's that I don't see a reason to pay more for the new model.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Only mags,they got right are the 450 mags.

AR mags are stupid in that gun. They blew it by continuing those in the Gen2.

Their rotary mags have common issues also. Should have done a simple polymer stack mag in all chamberings, with the option of a longer higher cap. Ala Tikka

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by KenMi
Only mags,they got right are the 450 mags.

AR mags are stupid in that gun. They blew it by continuing those in the Gen2.

Their rotary mags have common issues also. Should have done a simple polymer stack mag in all chamberings, with the option of a longer higher cap. Ala Tikka

What is it that you don’t like about the AR mags? Mine seem to feed very well. DuraMag is coming out with a flush fit AR magazine for the American.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I tried an American in 30-06 a few years ago. Always been a big fan of M77s so I really wanted to like the American. I never liked the zipper sound of the bolt and the factory stock just felt cheap and flimsy. I replaced the factory plastic with a Boyd's laminate, but that made it heavy, and one of the few things I liked about it in factory form was the light weight. Also, after trying two stocks, two scopes, and every handloading trick I knew, I couldn't get it to consistently shoot under 1.5 MOA. I already had experience with the Marlin X-7 as a budget rifle, so the American just seemed like a big step down in quality. It eventually went down the road.

I've decided if I want to shoot a Ruger, I'll stick to my M77s. If I ever feel the need for another budget level, synthetic stocked rifle, I'll look for another Marlin on the used market.

Those Marlin X7 are great rifles at the price point. I have owned 4, kept the SS 7 08 and a blued 223. Both are very accurate and IMHO well built. Down side is they are a little heavy. BTW the 223 has a 1:9 twist for heavier bullets. 1:9 works well at my altitude with 70 grain Hammers. I can't recall but I think I paid less than $200.00 for the last purchase on closeout, wish I'd have bought more.

I'm curious to know if they have the same or similar foot print to the Mod 70 Win as I've seen a couple with McMillan stocks. May need a lot or a little work to make fit. ( Stock is more expensive than the rifle)

Sorry for being a little off subject!

Last edited by Switch; 03/24/24.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a Ranch in 5.56 for 10 years. HUNDREDS of deer/hogs later it is still what I grab. Stupid accurate and glued the blade trigger back all the way after cutting a couple of coils off the trigger spring - got it down to 2#

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I believe they are a great value.

I've got the Predators in 223 and 308, and a Ranch in 300BO. Might add a 7.62x39 down the road.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My brother has five of them and I have two. A ranch rifle in .223/5.56 for my grandson and a Russian rancher for me. We've have had no problems with them, even though everybody claims the rotary mags malfunction.

I can't stand the AR and AICS type mags that hang down so far. The five round 7.62x39 mag is about the most I can tolerate. For my grandson's rifle, I called Ruger and got the standard rotary mag and bottom. Much more better. If Duramag actually comes out with a flush fit mag. as Deere Man mentioned, I'll buy a ranch rifle in 6.5 Grendel.

All of the ones in our family have had good to great accuracy. I tried one load for my Russian rancher and figured it was good enough. We've killed deer with it. Here's a picture of my sight in group with it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have the american ranch in 7.62x39. I took the magwell from my 223 predator and installed it in the ranch and bought a couple of the 10 round duramags, no feeding issues. Shoots very well with wolf steel case, and in a pinch you can use the muzzle flash to start a campfire.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I love mine, very accurate

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by southtexas
The American Rifle? She ain’t purty, but she sure works!

That alone makes it "purdy" in my book.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Accurate but very cheap feeling.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have experience with only one Ruger American. Mine is chambered in 6.5 Manbun. I' ve shot about 400 rounds through it. My report is about the same as those above. Very accurate - shoots as well as a couple of my varmint rifles. Probably the LEAST picky rifle I've ever reloaded for. Shoots everything well. I have one rotary mag and one stacked mag. No failures with either one. I'm not offended by the blade trigger and the stock fits me well. It's a cheap rifle. It's not pretty. It functions very well. I'd have no hesitation buying another.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 21, 51 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.