-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Figured we need a thread about this thing.

Mantis BlackbeardX

The Mantis BlackbeardX is a device that replaces the BGC and magazine in any AR and resets the trigger allowing one to practice breaking the trigger without manual cycling of the action. This makes dry fire completely safe because there is no way for the AR to fire as there is no BCG or mag where a possible live round could hide.

The unit has a 3 axis gyroscope, a 3 axis accelerometer, and a 3 axis magnetometer that provides 9 degrees of freedom in tracking the movement of the AR and exactly when the hammer strikes what would be the firing pin.

The unit emits a laser beam out the barrel and mantis has an app, Laser Academy, that allow a phone/tablet with a decent camera to score the shot on a Mantis target.

I don't set up the Laser Academy very often and use the Mantis motion tracking app much more often.

The BlackbeardX is $320 retail but if you shop around one can find a bit better price. Much less than the cost of a case of cheap .223.

I would say that regular use of the Blackbeard has improved my shooting 20% over just doing normal live and dry fire.

Anyone else have one of these things?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
On this topic, we shall agree.
It's a great tool, especially at an Agency level.

100% safe and it allows good training within the confines of any building. Also, as noted, it goes a long way vs its equivalent cost in ammo.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Does it trace aimpoint too (like Scatt) or just when the shot breaks?

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Figured we need a thread about this thing.

Mantis BlackbeardX

The Mantis BlackbeardX is a device that replaces the BGC and magazine in any AR and resets the trigger allowing one to practice breaking the trigger without manual cycling of the action. This makes dry fire completely safe because there is no way for the AR to fire as there is no BCG or mag where a possible live round could hide.

The unit has a 3 axis gyroscope, a 3 axis accelerometer, and a 3 axis magnetometer that provides 9 degrees of freedom in tracking the movement of the AR and exactly when the hammer strikes what would be the firing pin.

The unit emits a laser beam out the barrel and mantis has an app, Laser Academy, that allow a phone/tablet with a decent camera to score the shot on a Mantis target.

I don't set up the Laser Academy very often and use the Mantis motion tracking app much more often.

The BlackbeardX is $320 retail but if you shop around one can find a bit better price. Much less than the cost of a case of cheap .223.

I would say that regular use of the Blackbeard has improved my shooting 20% over just doing normal live and dry fire.

Anyone else have one of these things?

Thought you were so good you couldn't improve. LOL.

Training devices like these are wonderful tools and seem to get better every evolution at times.

Will have to look into this as I'm so rusty and rarely shoot much anymore. Still no issues shooting when the time comes but practice is better than none. Especially when I could maybe do it in the camper in the evenings etc...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Does it trace aimpoint too (like Scatt) or just when the shot breaks?

The X part traces the movement of the AR with the sensors but does not know if the AR is aimed at the target. It then provides a trace of 3 seconds before the hammer strike and 1 second after the hammer strike so it allows you to work on releasing the hammer and not moving the AR. This translated very well to real shooting.

If you set up the Laser Academy app on another phone or tablet with a decent camera it will record the location of the laser shot. Both apps can run at the same time.

The X sensors will also plot target transition movements and you can run timed drills with multiple shots.
Originally Posted by rost495
Thought you were so good you couldn't improve. LOL.

Training devices like these are wonderful tools and seem to get better every evolution at times.

Will have to look into this as I'm so rusty and rarely shoot much anymore. Still no issues shooting when the time comes but practice is better than none. Especially when I could maybe do it in the camper in the evenings etc...

LOL.

A part of what makes this thing work well is it takes very little distance or you can aim out a window and do the same. I usually work at 10yds so a scope that focuses close helps but again one can safely aim it anywhere unlike a functional AR where one should still have a backstop when dryfiring.

There is a timer fuction that enables you to practice gettting into positions under time. Work on reaction times from low ready. Basically anything one can do with a timer and live ammo. Of course there is no recoil but you get the trigger reset and it will keep up with .2 second splits.

If one wants they can log on to Mantis and setup virtual matches with shooting buddies.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a lot of them and have started integrating them into training. Something we've run in to is with the visible laser there's a tendency to look over the gun at the laser and treat it like a video game, walking the shots in based off of the previous hit, rather than actually aiming each shot.

That's something that can be overcome and some people struggle with the tendency more than others, but we've seen it happen with nearly everyone.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I could see that being an issue for training in a Force on Force or shoot house. Learning offsets at close range is a lot cheaper with laser beams than real bullets. It's not a bad thing to work on instinctive type shooting at closer ranges. My Mantis AR does not have any sights at the 45 deg and I spend a bit of time shooting instinctive at 45 deg just for fun. It's more accurate for me than shooting a trad bow.

Mantis has a new system that uses a simple projector video setup that works like the old FATS systems. Can play scenarios or just play Duck Hunter. Priced where it's reasonable to have one in your house just for fun.

Not released but they were demoing it at SHOT so I guess it's OK to talk about it.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,183 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,028
Posts18,481,837
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.