Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Got a 35 whelen on my mind…. If you were looking for one what would you go after?? I know the market is slim on selection. May have a lead on a 700 classic but really wondering if it might just be easier to rebarrel an action and just be done What’s your take ?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The easiest way to try one out is to get anything in a 270, 30-06, etc and send it to JES and have him rebore it. If you wanted to go a bit better, a nice barrel put on the receiver of your choice is also another option.

Finding original Whelens is fairly expensive right now, so you may wait awhile to find a deal while doing a rebore will be about a 2 week turnaround.

If I were making another Whelen, I'd likely have the Featherweight profile copied and put on a P64 with a 9 or 10 twist barrel, coated to your choice, and put in a nice stock.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I'd buy a barrel after I found a donor rifle, in my case a model 70! I'd also pay attention to the barrel contour and twist to get what I really wanted.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would look hard for one of these.

[Linked Image]

I snagged one, and they have pretty much sold out now, but there's probably a few still floating around. They sold out really fast on Gunbroker for up to $1750. I found mine by just Googling "57160 Whelen", and looking through a lot of (sold out) sites.

Here is a link to the info at Lipsey's.

Lipsey's Hawkeye African 35 Whelen

Last edited by WhelenAway; 03/17/24.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If I remember correctly the Remington Classic 35 Whelen's had 16-twist barrels.

I went the route of finding a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless and had a PacNor 35 Whelen barrel with a 14-twist installed. If I was doing it today I might even go with a 12-twist barrel.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had Jess do a Ruger #1 rebore it too a 35 whelen shoots excellent and looks great too. also i have a Winchester model 70 s.s. 30-06 that i am rebarreling so someone need a donor barrel ? cheap ? Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went this route almost two decades ago, although mine's blued, not stainless: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003581418?pid=384077

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shoots the Federal factory 225 grain TBBC into .8" 3-shot groups. More than good enough for my purposes.

That Ruger is VERY nice!

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Rem. M30 and had JES rebore it. Or try to find a 1903 sporter, maybe with shot out bore, and do the same.

Last edited by Recoil_Rob; 03/17/24.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have had this M77 RS for decades. I tweaked it a bit and it shoots very well. Nice light contour on the factory barrel bedded into a light High Tech stock makes for a nice package. Black bear, nilgai, moose and elk have dropped from it. They are a bit hard to find though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by beretzs
The easiest way to try one out is to get anything in a 270, 30-06, etc and send it to JES and have him rebore it. If you wanted to go a bit better, a nice barrel put on the receiver of your choice is also another option.

Finding original Whelens is fairly expensive right now, so you may wait awhile to find a deal while doing a rebore will be about a 2 week turnaround.

If I were making another Whelen, I'd likely have the Featherweight profile copied and put on a P64 with a 9 or 10 twist barrel, coated to your choice, and put in a nice stock.

^^^^ This

Ruger made a very good 35 wh for a couple years in a SS Hawkeye. I had one and foolishly sold it. Wish I had that one back....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd buy a 30-06 and load it with 200-220 gr bullets and call it good. I tried 35 Whelen and 338-06. The only thing they do that 30-06 doesn't do is kick harder.

But if you're like most people you just have to find out for yourself.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by VaHunter
If I remember correctly the Remington Classic 35 Whelen's had 16-twist barrels.

I went the route of finding a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless and had a PacNor 35 Whelen barrel with a 14-twist installed. If I was doing it today I might even go with a 12-twist barrel.

I have a Ruger M77 RS tang safety and the Remington &00 Classic in .35 Whelen with 1 in 16" twist barrels. Both are accurate with 250 gr. bullets and shoot acceptably well with the long gone Hornady 275 gr. round nose. My go to .35 Whelen though is a custom build on a 98 Mauser action and has a 1 in 14" twist. I have not done much with the 275 gr. bullets due to having a rather limited amount on hand. Doesn't matter much as I haven't seen a T-rex in my back yard in years.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I had JES Rebore to rebore my 1885 Highwall in 30-06 to a 5 groove 10 twist 35 Whelen. Shoots 1/2 MOA or better with evry bullet that I've tried.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Was down to the lgs one day 30 some years ago and spotted a m77rs in 35 Whelen new on the rack for 289.95 about 40 bucks cheaper than the other calibers. I asked what the deal was? He said they didn't sell well and his distributor was closing them out cheap so he bought a couple dozen and multiple cases of factory Remington ammo. I asked how many he had left? He 18-19 why ? I said I'll take one if I can pick it out he just laughed and we headed to the inventory room. Went thru 1/2 doz boxes and picked one with nice straight grain in the wrist and forend. Couple of elk and a few deer I 'm a Whelen fan. You know you really can eat right to the bullet hole..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Remington 700 KS Mountain Rifle

“Factio democratica delenda est"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JMR40
I'd buy a 30-06 and load it with 200-220 gr bullets and call it good. I tried 35 Whelen and 338-06. The only thing they do that 30-06 doesn't do is kick harder.

But if you're like most people you just have to find out for yourself.

Well, they do kick a bit more because they move the same bullet weights faster, and another plus is they make a bigger hole.

They both handle much heavier bullet weights too.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Got a 35 whelen on my mind…. If you were looking for one what would you go after?? I know the market is slim on selection. May have a lead on a 700 classic but really wondering if it might just be easier to rebarrel an action and just be done What’s your take ?

If you can snag that 700 Classic at a decent price, I'd do it (16 twist be damned).

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you want a lipseys Hawkeye African, I have one I’ll part with. Pm if interested.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Remington M700 Classic as my .35 Whelen that I purchased used in 2000. It has since been to Africa twice and to Alberta to hunt moose. Several bear hunts and a double handful of deer. Wonderful cartridge. Probably my all-around favorite. And the M700 Classic seems to be an accurate platform for it.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I've owned Ruger and Remington 35 Whelens. Both had the 1:16 twist and shot 250-grain bullets just fine. If I were in the Whelen market again, then I'd get another of either in a heartbeat.

If I were going to build one from the ground up, then it would be on a commercial 98 Mauser. It might also be a 9.3x62.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by okie john

I've owned Ruger and Remington 35 Whelens. Both had the 1:16 twist and shot 250-grain bullets just fine. If I were in the Whelen market again, then I'd get another of either in a heartbeat.

If I were going to build one from the ground up, then it would be on a commercial 98 Mauser. It might also be a 9.3x62.

Okie John

Not responding to you directly, just in general to this and other posts mentioning the 1:16 twist. JES himself will tell you that a 16 twist will handle up to 250 grains easily, and if you run across bullet discussions with a 35 Whelen, the 225 Sierra bullet seems to be one of the most used, or at least most praised for a variety of game. So I'm not sure what all the super duper extra fast twist for a Whelen is about, unless I'm missing a long high BC bullet in 35 caliber that is available and popular, which is a possibility.

Honest question.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My M700 CDL 16 twist handles 250 gr. just fine. Although I choose lighter bullets for my applications.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m on my third 700 35 Whelen. I’ve had two 350 RM’s too (ballistic twin).

I don’t think there’s any better than the 700.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
700, 20” mag contour barrel, good stock that fits you and a good trigger. 1.5-5x lit #4 reticle.
For our hunting it’s ideal. Steady diet of 225gr Sierra’s

Last edited by jackmountain; 03/18/24.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
700, 20” mag contour barrel, good stock that fits you and a good trigger. 1.5-5x lit #4 reticle.
For our hunting it’s ideal. Steady diet of 225gr Sierra’s

Mic drop…

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I'd eat some crow, but I'd sure use one of them....

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Okie John

Not responding to you directly, just in general to this and other posts mentioning the 1:16 twist. JES himself will tell you that a 16 twist will handle up to 250 grains easily, and if you run across bullet discussions with a 35 Whelen, the 225 Sierra bullet seems to be one of the most used, or at least most praised for a variety of game. So I'm not sure what all the super duper extra fast twist for a Whelen is about, unless I'm missing a long high BC bullet in 35 caliber that is available and popular, which is a possibility.

Honest question.

16's have worked fine for me with 250 PT's, Speers, 225 TSX's etc.. For me, I know that a 1-10 doesn't hurt anything either adding some RPM's to the equation, so that's sorta my default if I am ordering a barrel. But I used a CDL for years it worked fine.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Okie John

Honest question.

Faster twist increases BC and aids in expansion

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own a Nosler Outfitter in 35 Whelen, I haven’t killed anything with it but it likes 200 grain Remington Core-Lokts! I also had a SS Ruger Hawkeye that shot very well but I ended up selling it to a member here from Alaska.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Like others have said, pick your favorite model rifle, in 06, and send it to JES. I had him rebore a Ruger 77 stainless, with factory irons, and set it in a hawkeye synthetic stock.

3 groove, 1:10" twist. It shoots everything inside an inch at 100 yards....225s to 310s. The 310 is the main reason I went with the 10" twist.....but, I also looked at the standard twist rate for the 338 win (1:10"), and the 375 H&H (1:12"), and figured 10 would be best, with Whelen velocity.

I also had him do a 7600....with the same groove and twist, with the same results.

Andy3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
There's plenty of options out there. If it was me i'd wait until I found one in the action (Remington, Ruger, Winchester) that I liked. The JS re-boring option is always a good one if you can't find exactly what you want.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The 700 Classic in a heartbeat if at all sanely priced and decent condition.

My 35 is a 700 Classic in 350 RemMag, great rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

[Linked Image]

I snagged one, and they have pretty much sold out now, but there's probably a few still floating around. They sold out really fast on Gunbroker for up to $1750. I found mine by just Googling "57160 Whelen", and looking through a lot of (sold out) sites.

Personally I can have a custom built for that price and not on a 77 action.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like single shot rifles so my Whelen is a Ruger #1. It's a nice accurate rifle, I've been shooting the Hornady 200 grain RN in it for deer. Maybe someday a bolt gun is in my future. I like that Ruger African.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

laugh

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I really need a .350RM.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Fotis

[Linked Image]

Personally I can have a custom built for that price and not on a 77 action.

The $1750 I mentioned is too much, but one bidder didn't think so. Lipsey's retail is around $1550, and before they got rare you could snag one for $1350.

I'd want a CRF Ruger 77, M70 pre/classic action, or a M98 action with sturdy iron sights. I prefer the 30-06 length Ruger action for the Whelen chambering versus a magnum length action.

And, of course, I want wood & blue for this classic chambering.

There's a lot to like with the Ruger African for a few dollars more than a rebored Tikka.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh

Or this;

https://www.champlinarms.com/Defaul...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3811

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Classic has been sold, but I still have this one. It has had the barrel shortened a bit and threaded for a suppressor.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 700 Classic in 35

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bugger
My Classic has been sold, but I still have this one. It has had the barrel shortened a bit and threaded for a suppressor.

Great looking Whelen Bugger!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I have a friend who has a classic or two in 35 whelen One well cared for One new in the box He and I will be working a trade on a marlin 375 Winchester and some ammo I have on a trade on one of them in the next week or so

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This a project I’ve thought about in the past. I like the idea of a JES rebore if I want to save some money but I would probably get a Winchester 70 or a 700 and have it rebarreled. I would probably go the customized route and rebarrel one of those models.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane

laugh

Or this;

https://www.champlinarms.com/Defaul...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3811

I’d probably get rid of a few of mine if I had that one.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Seabreeze1970
This a project I’ve thought about in the past. I like the idea of a JES rebore if I want to save some money but I would probably get a Winchester 70 or a 700 and have it rebarreled. I would probably go the customized route and rebarrel one of those models.

I can't fault my JES rebore from 30/06 to 35 Whelen. Very accurate rifle

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 444afic
I went this route almost two decades ago, although mine's blued, not stainless: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003581418?pid=384077

Shoots the Federal factory 225 grain TBBC into .8" 3-shot groups. More than good enough for my purposes.

That Ruger is VERY nice!

That's a great looking rifle that I'd happily take hunting.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a 700 Classic that now wears a BDL stock that survived the Wreck of the Hesperus but fits me better than the original stock, which I still have in 99% condition. When I first acquired it in 1989, it didn’t shoot well with 200 gr Core Lokts but really shined with 225 gr TBBC loads after a couple hundred rounds of Core Lokts. It shoots the 225 Partitions and TBBC into bug hole groups so I’m not concerned about the 16:1 twist rate. I have no idea how it would shoot the current variety of 200 gr factory loads from Rem, Winchester, or Hornady. Not going to piss away money to find out.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When I decided to build a .35 Whelen nearly 35 yrs. ago I sent a pre'64 M/70 to Randall Redman to rebore. It has been my whitetail rifle ever since, 225gr. Sierra Game King over IMR 4064 was the load it shot best after extensive research and range testing. Last several years I've been hunting with 200gr. Hornady Inter-lok over IMR 3031, a Ken Waters Pet Load that is incredibly accurate. It will put three shots into a tight cluster off the bench @ 100yds. The last bullet I recovered from a whitetail buck taken @ 100yds. was perfectly mushroomed and retained 66% of its original weight. BTW my rifle's barrel has 1-14" twist which was Redman's standard offering when reboring. It performs well with whatever I'm shooting, jacketed bullets, cast or pistol bullets.

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/20/24.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like my Whelen so much (Ruger #1) my pre 64 FWT M70 358 hasn't seen a deer season in quite a while. Both rifles thrive on the SGK 225

Last edited by GSPfan; 03/19/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Have 2. Remy 750 carbine and 7600. The carbine is my river bottom jungle gun jump shooting bedded bucks. The 7600 has a vortex 1.76x5 on it. Blind sitting with that one

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Custom Pre-64 Model 70. Shilen Match barrel, McMillan edge stock, cerekoted, bedded, etc. super accurate with 200gr TTSX and 200Gr Hndy IL. I haven’t shot any 225s yet, really no need.

I still prefer the 338-06 just for its versatility, but the 35 whelen is a great round no doubt.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A couple of my Ruger RS results with the 225 gr TSX.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shaw Custom Rifles may be the least expensive path into a 35 Whelen and it'll shoot too.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Custom Pre-64 Model 70. Shilen Match barrel, McMillan edge stock, cerekoted, bedded, etc. super accurate with 200gr TTSX and 200Gr Hndy IL. I haven’t shot any 225s yet, really no need.

I still prefer the 338-06 just for its versatility, but the 35 whelen is a great round no doubt.

Very nice rifle! I'd be interested to hear about the 338-06 versatility vs a 35 whelen, still sorting through which to go with myself!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I like my Whelen so much (Ruger #1) my pre 64 FWT M70 358 hasn't seen a deer season in quite a while. Both rifles thrive on the SGK 225

this Ruger #1 i had Jess Rebore do the rebore to a 35 Whelen shoots very nice will bear hunt with this Ruger #1 if i get drawn this year for a bear tag ? but will also be used some during the rifle 2024 deer season in Minnesota too . as GSPfan has posted there is something unique to use a 35 Whelen and chambered in a Ruger #1 is kinda special for some of us. i have also read the book and own this book called Mister Rifleman on Colonel Townsend Whelen the book is a very good read , Colonel Whelen in his life time has done some very interesting things . enjoy your 35 Whelen,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264

Very nice rifle! I'd be interested to hear about the 338-06 versatility vs a 35 whelen, still sorting through which to go with myself!

I like the ability to load cheap pistol bullets in the 35 Whelen for plinking. And factory ammo for the Whelen is widely available now, since it is legal for hunting in some (formerly) shotgun only states.

But if only shooting 200's, the 30-06 makes a lot of sense.

Here is a LINK to a good thread on the 338RPM, which is the equal of the 338WM. It's a good read, and quoted below are a couple posts from the thread:

Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Knowing RinB well, I suspect he's tweaking the Campfire's "medium-bore" advocates--or maybe actually trolling....

Didn't you post one time that you thought increased effectiveness started at .358 bullet diameter?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah--and Phil Shoemaker's experience is similar. We've discussed it some....

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the money the current Whelen's are going for, I would build one.

My preference would be a Model 70 Pre, or classic action, or a 700.

I had a 700 Classic that was brutal to shoot. I also had a Rem 673 in 350 Rem Mag I probably should have kept, but I am not in the business of gun selling regrets. Played with a BLR in 358 Win for a while too.

I am now firmly in the 338-06 camp. But do not let that stop you (LIve2Hunt941 or anyone) from getting what you want. If you have a Whelen itch, you should scratch it. I certainly did that with 35's.

If I need something bigger than the 338-06, I have a 416 Rem Mag and a 45-70. grin

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by MikeL2

I really need a .350RM.

I just sold my as new 700 classic 350 RM for about $1,500 on Guns International. I threw in about 80 empty brass and a hard rifle case.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/20/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Remington M700 Classic, CDL or BDL rifles are available as well as the Ruger M77RS & Hawkeye models.

I have a Ruger M77RS and recent Lipsey's Ruger Hawkeye "African" that will certainly meet my needs.

To get into a 35 Whelen reasonable I'd have a 30-06 or 270 sent to JES for the rebore.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Man that's a nice rifle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 7600s in 35Whelen are good rifles if you're so inclined for that type of rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Ruger 77 with a boat paddle stock. Oh! That’s right, thats what I’ve got.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As many have suggested, I sent my Kimber Subalpine in muzzle braked 30:06 to JES. Had him cut the threads and recrown and open to 35 Whelen. 3x9 Leupold, Talley mounts, sling and a full mag it's all of 6# and it likes Barnes 225 TSX. Going to try some Hammer 225's.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm surprised the Kimber barrel had enough meat to be opened to 358.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Yeah, I thought I might go with the 338/06, but Jesse asked me to measure just before the brake threads and he said there was enough for opening to 358.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Your lucky day!

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There’s a bargain 700 35 whelen on GB right now. It’s actually a Classic model

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Whelenman
A Ruger 77 with a boatpaddle stock. Oh! That’s right, thats what I’ve got.

Samesies

Mine is a JES rebore that started as a .30-06. Cut it to 20” and added a Remington front sight and use an NECG ghost ring when I want to hunt open sights.

I went 1:14". It shoots the Sierra 225 well and seems to do fine with 200 RN bullets but hasn’t shot as well with 250s, the 225 Accubond, 225 Partition or 225 TSX. It used to bug me but the 225 Sierra is proving to be a great bullet, so I just shoot it and use my Norma to launch the heavier and longer bullets.

It does shoot 158 XTPs well also, so sometimes I hunt with those and plink with cast bullets.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The one I would hunt for would be a Griffin & Howe Model 70 in 35 Whelen I used to own. I sold it when I got into double rifles. Wish I had that one back. It was G&H #2701.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Very nice rig Medriver. With the peep on that has I be a very handy outfit.
F01

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Fury01
Very nice rig Medriver. With the peep on that has I be a very handy outfit.
F01

Thanks! Yes, a peep and a 20" barrel makes it pretty darn handy. The sporter weight barrel is admittedly a little "whippy"...a little heavier contour would be easier to shoot but as-is it is a joy to pack.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by EdM
I have had this M77 RS for decades. I tweaked it a bit and it shoots very well. Nice light contour on the factory barrel bedded into a light High Tech stock makes for a nice package. Black bear, nilgai, moose and elk have dropped from it. They are a bit hard to find though.

I really like the looks of this one too.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know a lady in Green River Wyoming that has a pre-War M70 Winchester re-barreled to 35 Whelen that she wants to sell.
PM me if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with her.

A
ATC Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
You can't go wrong with a Remington Classic if you can find one. Mine shoots great with just about anything and I've heard similar results from others.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Okie John

Honest question.

16's have worked fine for me with 250 PT's, Speers, 225 TSX's etc.. For me, I know that a 1-10 doesn't hurt anything either adding some RPM's to the equation, so that's sorta my default if I am ordering a barrel. But I used a CDL for years it worked fine.

It's still working for me.

It doesn't matter how fast you miss.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am glad it went to a good home! Mine is a fine shooter now as well.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I happened onto a nib Nosler Heritage 35 Whelen at Wanenmacher a several years ago. May seem ridiculous but I’ve yet to shoot it, simply too beautiful. (I’d like to find an aftermarket stock to save the wood stock). As a side note, I called Nosler after I got it home and happened to be connected to a Mr. Archerd (sp?) who said he was in the rifle build shop when the Heritage in 35 Whelen was mfg, he said he believes less than 40 were produced!
As John Quinones would say, “what would you do”

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
How much did that cost? Sounds like a good one. I’m having one built on a CZ action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CVA scout...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
CVA scout...

They do work. Cheap too....

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've heard good things about the accuracy and trigger of the Scouts.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
L
I have one of the Grice Model 7600 carbines in 35 Whelen...It really kicks!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MedRiver
Originally Posted by Whelenman
A Ruger 77 with a boatpaddle stock. Oh! That’s right, thats what I’ve got.

Samesies

Mine is a JES rebore that started as a .30-06. Cut it to 20” and added a Remington front sight and use an NECG ghost ring when I want to hunt open sights.

I went 1:14". It shoots the Sierra 225 well and seems to do fine with 200 RN bullets but hasn’t shot as well with 250s, the 225 Accubond, 225 Partition or 225 TSX. It used to bug me but the 225 Sierra is proving to be a great bullet, so I just shoot it and use my Norma to launch the heavier and longer bullets.

It does shoot 158 XTPs well also, so sometimes I hunt with those and plink with cast bullets.

Mine is blued.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why bother with a 35 Whelen when you could just get a 9.3x62 and have a better round? Considering the 9.3 has been around since 1905 there really isn't any reason for the 35 Whelen to have existed. Hell you can even make functioning 9.3 brass out of 30-06 brass but they will be a few thousands short.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MAC
Why bother with a 35 Whelen when you could just get a 9.3x62 and have a better round? Considering the 9.3 has been around since 1905 there really isn't any reason for the 35 Whelen to have existed. Hell you can even make functioning 9.3 brass out of 30-06 brass but they will be a few thousands short.

Jeeze Mac, are you even ‘Merican!?!? grin

Our 35 Whelen was created for us folks back in the day as the poor man’s 375.

The 9.3x62 was one of them there Kraut inventions.

All jokes aside, I like them both and have a 9.3x57, 9.3x62, couple Whelens and a 338-06.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
700 - yes

Classic, re-barrel, re-bore - yes

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

All jokes aside, I like them both and have a 9.3x57, 9.3x62, couple Whelens and a 338-06.

I also need to point out that the 30-06 is really nothing more than a 7x57 Mauser necked up to 30 Cal and the 1903 Springfield was so closely based on the Mauser 98 that Springfield had to pay Mauser royalties.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd re-bore a Classic Stainless M70 with standard barrel contour.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

I also need to point out that the 30-06 is really nothing more than a 7x57 Mauser necked up to 30 Cal and the 1903 Springfield was so closely based on the Mauser 98 that Springfield had to pay Mauser royalties.

was hast du gesagt? Sag, dass es nicht so ist.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you are going modern - any post 1964 '06 long action Winchester m70 or Rem700 (or 700 clone) action would be best as it will easily allow a longer than 3.4" mag box to.be fitted allowing longer bullets to be used without encroaching in the powder column.

But if you are going to build a classic .35 Whelen IMHO- it should be built in a Pre 64 M70 or a Springfield 1903.

Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
I've been looking under the couch cushions and in my daughter's piggy bank for the coins to pay for this one, but no luck so far. It's out of my current budget, but I love a pretty old rifle. I don't *need* a .35 Whelen because I already have a 9.3x62. But it never hurts to look and dream.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1046581244

A certain part of me would be highly amused to have a German .35 Whelen and an American 9.3x62.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just built one, and it’s a hammer 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by linemountain

A 22" 7600 with a good pad is a lot easier to shoot. I used to hold the forend while shooting off the bags. That helped too.

Funny how Remington never could figure out how to put a pad on a walnut 760 or 7600. <eye roll>

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd re-bore a Classic Stainless M70 with standard barrel contour.

That’s the easy button. Exactly what I did to get my 338-06

The 9.3x62 was made out of a Hawkeye 280 Rem that was too heavy for my brain as a 280 and never shot real well either.

Semper Fi
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MAC
[quote=MAC]Why bother with a 35 Whelen when you could just get a 9.3x62 and have a better round? Considering the 9.3 has been around since 1905 there really isn't any reason for the 35 Whelen to have existed. Hell you can even make functioning 9.3 brass out of 30-06 brass but they will be a few thousands short.

Sure you can. That 7x57 brass might be a bit thin when stretched out to .30-06 length….

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
In reality do many of you regularly use loads in your 35 whelen that are loaded down to 35 remington or 358 winchester levels. Thinking this would add some versatility to a nice lightish 35 whelen for deer hunting in the timber, etc. while keeping recoil down.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In reality do many of you regularly use loads in your 35 whelen that are loaded down to 35 remington or 358 winchester levels. Thinking this would add some versatility to a nice lightish 35 whelen for deer hunting in the timber, etc. while keeping recoil down.

I have not as I have a pre-64 M70 in 358 Win and a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
No, I have a .358 Win Savage 99 that I occasionally deer hunt with in thick piney woods. When I hunt with the Whelen, it is always with full house 225 gr loads. I don’t see much utility in wimpy .35 caliber loads, but perhaps there is some. Cheers

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've owned and used 2 35 Whelen Mod 700 Classics reamed to the A.I., 1 Mod 750 Carbine in the Whelen, and bought a beautiful Mod 98 Custom in 358 Win I had reamed to the A.I. as a gift to my SIL. I loved the Classics in the AI the most. Also would have preferred 24" barrels.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by linemountain

A 22" 7600 with a good pad is a lot easier to shoot. I used to hold the forend while shooting off the bags. That helped too.

Funny how Remington never could figure out how to put a pad on a walnut 760 or 7600. <eye roll>

I would opt for the 7600.

Just because

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a friend who has a classic or two in 35 whelen One well cared for One new in the box He and I will be working a trade on a marlin 375 Winchester and some ammo I have on a trade on one of them in the next week or so

Sounds like a good plan. You’ll both end up with desirable guns. I followed your thread on your Marlin for trade and this seems like a great solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
[quote=beretzs]

Ruger made a very good 35 wh for a couple years in a SS Hawkeye. I had one and foolishly sold it. Wish I had that one back....

It was made in the blued/walnut Hawkeye as well. I bought one new.

Last edited by Elvis; 04/24/24.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 1minute, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.