Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
SS IS NOT an entitlement!

Yes it is.

Probably for you! Guess you're still sucking on your Moms tit!

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion; but it’s the basic definition of entitlement.

Look it up.

I did, and I feel differently than you about it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dog I rescued in January

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why Millennial Parents Are Having Problems Raising Gen Z and Alpha
video posted to YouTube on Feb 26, 2024

The world isn't ready for Gen Alpha
video posted to YouTube on Jun 6, 2023

Americans Are REFUSING To Grow Up, Boomers Treat Millennials Like Children And They Act Like It
video posted to YouTube on Mar 17, 2024

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by rickt300
I'm thinking no on all counts.

Lol you and thinking are like oil and water lol

Like i said, if you're an outlier and not a worthless boomer, why get so mad?

Boomers bigly mad

Not mad, amused at what a pitiful POS you must be and how your low character defines you.

Dog I rescued in January

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
I'm thinking no on all counts.

Lol you and thinking are like oil and water lol

Like i said, if you're an outlier and not a worthless boomer, why get so mad?

Boomers bigly mad

Not mad, amused at what a pitiful POS you must be and how your low character defines you.

Boohoo keep being outraged. Go make another thread bìtching about something....

Just another worthless boomer

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 03/17/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by TRexF16
So social security should be a 0% savings account? Even at only a 3% annual interest rate, a $200 monthly SS contribution will yield way over double the total contribution over a 50-year working life ($120,000 in, $270,712 out).
Receiving only a 50% increase in SS distributions over one's contributions, isn't an entitlement, it's an absolute *ss r*pe. If one was allowed to keep that $200/month an invest it in the S&P 500 (50-year return = 10.26% annual), they'd be sitting on $3,066,600 at retirement. Almost EVERYONE who draws SS is getting screwed by it, compared to where they'd be if they'd just kept their money.
Politicians (like the lottery) rely on people being bad at math!

Cheers,
Rex

You shouldn't expect the .gov to be an investment firm and to take care of you, Maybe you're expecting to much........

Originally Posted by TRexF16
Almost EVERYONE who draws SS is getting screwed by it, compared to where they'd be if they'd just kept their money.

Absolute fact but to expect the .gov to grow your money for you is nothing short of crazy.
The problem with allowing people to individually set up a fund for themselves in retirement is that well over half of the population would not do it and without government intervention would end up living outdoors and die. That is not something our society is ready for although we are easing in that direction with some governments already endorsing euthanasia for the ill and elderly.

In particular I know of a case in which an older middle-aged state employee resigned so as to be able to withdraw her many years of contributions to the state system for the relief of her credit card debt. And then went back to work for the same agency after cleaning out the retirement account. The 1/2 of the account that the state had contributed vanished back into the general fund and now the stupid woman doesn't have time to build up a decent retirement and has never paid into SS.

This is why the government set up the SS system. In the 1930s when SS was illegally instituted there were old people actually starving and children going hungry. It may very well happen again in a complete bust. I don't see the young folks supporting their elders anymore.

In any case probably less than half the country has more than a month worth of money to tide them over if they had any money at all.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If the Gov. took your money under the guise of SS, you have the right to expect it back.

If they did not, you have no reason to expect anything.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
If the Gov. took your money under the guise of SS, you have the right to expect it back.

If they did not, you have no reason to expect anything.
^^^This^^^

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
SS was never meant to be the sole means of retirement income, it was meant as a supplement. People are supposed to save for retirement, smart people do and dumb people don't...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I am a late Gen X/early Millennial but generally align more with Boomers than those closer to my age. I was ‘friends’ with a lot more of them growing up than with my own age group. I do feel Boomers are who first got credit card debt to be a standard and ‘acceptable’ thing as well as a few other widespread issues but I just don’t understand the blanket hatred for Boomers by the younger crowds these days. To make it more perplexing, many of the Boomer haters are Biden supporters, who is of Boomer age.

The OP is most certainly not a brilliant person based on his posts here, but that is a different discussion. I think a lot of the Boomer hate on this board is just pot stirring but plenty of younger people really do blame Boomers for the US’s current problems.

I just don’t understand it…

Same here
It's simple- it likely was learned by kids in our FedGov school system -->> Divide & Conquer , I'm sure you've heard/seen how well it works.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion; but it’s the basic definition of entitlement.

Look it up.

I did, and I feel differently than you about it.

You “feel” differently? It’s the first definition ffs. If you put in, you have a legal right to receive it. This isn’t hard.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by old_boots
SS was never meant to be the sole means of retirement income, it was meant as a supplement. People are supposed to save for retirement, smart people do and dumb people don't...
Correct, and most people are dumb or ignore the arithmetic (which is dumb).

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Speaking of entitled Boomers and useless young people....

The old woman says there are about a half dozen people taking the CNA class just so they will be able to provide home health care to their in-laws or parents.

Pretty cool deal I think.

I am MAGA.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Nice

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Speaking of entitled Boomers and useless young people....

The old woman says there are about a half dozen people taking the CNA class just so they will be able to provide home health care to their in-laws or parents.

Pretty cool deal I think.

Now see, big Jim and his lady are out serving/helping the people. He ain't no worthless boomer.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I dont get the boomer hatred. Both of my parents are/were of the boomer generation and I watched them get up everyday and work a job to provide for us kids. They never asked for or got any kind of handouts. The old man did that for 42 years, retired, got a few good years and died of cancer. That was one of the reasons that I decided to work for myself. There are the boomers that lived like my parents and worked hard and then there are the ones that were protesting hippies in the 60's, dodging the draft and then entering government.
Not the same thing at all.
The only thing I'll give them shìt about is their naivety to believing what they see and hear online, or falling for photoshopped pics, fake Facebook profiles of hot chick's sending them friend requests, etc...

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by gunzo
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM
First SSC check arrived in February. Fishing trip in Alaska booked for this summer and a brown bear hunt a bit later. Panama fishing and Nanimbia next year. A new $30K a year buys some fun.

I didn’t know you were 67… only a fool would draw it at 62.

If you're making taxible money during that time, yes. But otherwise some numbers say the 67 year old drawee will have to live/draw several years to match the money drawn by the 62 year old drawee of the same age.

To late tonight for the correct numbers, but interesting. IMO.

Don't confuse them with simple math....

If one is broke and has no other means to support themselves then by all means start drawing on it at 70% at age 62. But to start drawing on it to pay for your big game hunting trips or other adventures well, I’m sure social security wasn’t meant for that. If you are a big money hustla like some on here proclaim to be just wait until 67 and draw the full 100%.

Depending on your longevity, you're overall payout may be larger by drawing early rather than waiting.

As I posted earlier, my breakeven point is 79 years old, IF I live longer than that it would have made better sense to wait until 66 or 67 to draw VS 65 as I plan to.

IF I die before 79 and had waited until 67, the .GOV "wins" in that my total payout would be less. That's not even taking into consideration that I can take a portion of the money I'm getting early and invest it, with good odds of getting a higher return than the increase in waiting until 67.

Currently the average life expectancy for a male in the US is somewhere around 76 years old. IF I die then, the delta is $21K less in total benefits IF I wait until 67 to start drawing VS. 65.

My expected payments until age 76 (based on my current status and no further payments into SS):

65 2891.00 a month for 132 months = $381,612.00
67 3336.00 a month for 108 months = $360,288.00

Now I can easily use my retirement savings as a bridging strategy until I start SS, but that money right now is doing really well in the market.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No such thing as entitlements for boomers who have paid and paid and paid. Boomers that worked an entire career do not receive entitlements. Boomers get SS insurance as detailed. Those that paid more get more! Those that paid little get little. PERIOD! I virtually get angry when I hear the term ENTITLEMENTS! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
How come Welfare Programs and USDA Programs are never presented as funding at risk but SS funding going belly up in 2033?

Welfare and USDA are entitlements.

GOA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This place gets curiouser and curiouser ever dang day.

And hilariouser too.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
How come Welfare Programs and USDA Programs are never presented as funding at risk but SS funding going belly up in 2033?

Welfare and USDA are entitlements.
I get a USDA subsidy payment every now and then and a CRP payment every year. USDA payments are NOT entitlements, they are unearned gifts. I take it because I'm not turning down money.

The USDA programs have made 3 married couples I know into millionaires. All the information you would ever want on who gets what from ag programs is available to anyone that cares to look. The place to look is EWG Farm Subsidy Database. You will be amazed at what some folks have drawn in the last 20 odd years.

If you do a search because you are nosy like me it helps to know the grown kids names and their spouses.

I've noticed an odd thing in that the ones that suck up the most USDA money criticize food stamps and welfare the most.

Page 10 of 16 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (22kHornet, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 45 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,266
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.