Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Google ampmate with Dillon feeder.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Originally Posted by MikeS
Bob Hagel used the partial resizing terminology as I described it above back in the 80s, if not earlier.
I agree that is partial sizing with a FL die, but sizing the whole case is FL sizing no matter if its .001 or more, your sizing the whole case.

I agree. I full length size with a .002 bump. Some refer to that as partial full length sizing, which I do not consider the historical or correct use for that term. Of course I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.🙂

Last edited by MikeS; 03/18/24.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess I dont get the your not FL sizing untill you touch the shell holder then its FL sizing. Ive got 3 sets of dies that didn't bump the shoulders at all untill I took .010 off the top of the shell holder.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
There have been dozens, yes plural, of discussions on this subject since many of participated at "Shooters".

PFL sizing has been used to describe sizing brass to less than the full capacity of the FL die since I have been here. We have even discussed the fairly common phenomenon where head space to shoulder is actually increased when the body of the case is compressed without touching the shoulder as a possibility when PFL sizing.

I have Redding neck sizers for several cartridges. I have never needed a body die to go with them. But the only one I ever loaded brass more then four or five times was a 30-06 AI, and it did not show a propensity to grow.

Yes, I tune my FL dies to the chamber of the rifle I am sizing for.

I find that point where the bolt will not close on the partially sized case, as I have made the case longer in the die. Then I adjust the die down in the press until the bolt will close on the empty brass again. Sometimes with a very slight crush fit, depending on application. Usually adjusted so the brass will fall into the chamber.

I have all the tools needed to measure headspace length, growth, or compression for any of the cartridges I load. But they have set unused on the shelf for years. As I do not really care what the length from shoulder to base of the brass, as long as I know it fits my chamber, because I have made it to fit.

And yes, it requires case lube. Sometimes it is Hornady one shot, sometimes it is Redding/Imperial wax. i keep microfiber wash cloths from harbor freight on the loading bench, and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Splash a little alcohol on a cloth, and wipe the sizing lube away. A pint of alcohol lasts a long time. When the cloth looks grubby, toss it into the laundry.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I agree. I full length size with a .002 bump. Some refer to that as partial full length sizing, which I do not consider the historical or correct use for that term. Of course I've been wrong before, just ask my wife.🙂

What would be the correct meaning of the term: PFL sizing?

One can size a case to the full extent of which the FL die is capable.

Or one can size to a portion of what the FL die is capable.

If one is sizing to less than the full capability of the die, it seems partial sizing is an apt description.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Folks seem to misinterpret "Partial" as meaning to size only part of the case. But Partial Full Length Sizing seems to suggest one sizes the entire case, just not as much as it can be sized with a FL die.

I can remember in the 80's when PFLR became a thing and virtually every magazine had articles describing how instead of the usual method contained in most die instructions, one didn't size the case as much by not running the ram all the way to a hard stop or camming over, instead stopping somewhere short of that method was only partially full length sizing the die.

One can full length size the brass, but not size it as far as it can be sized by the die.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
I'll agree to disagree.

Peace
smile

Meawhile poor marzoom just wants to know why his brass does't fit easily in the chamber.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Hornady manual I purchased in 1978 refers to full length sizing for minimum headspace. In any case its just a matter of semantics. I would suggest that those who only neck size keep the bolt lug faces well greased.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
neck sizing only without bumping shoulders will lead to exactly as the OP stated . annealing every time will help but annealing really helps mostly with consistent neck tension. and the shoulder still should be bumped at least every two or three firings.. I too learn this the hard way years ago.

Last edited by ldholton; 03/19/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Hornady manual I purchased in 1978 refers to full length sizing for minimum headspace. In any case its just a matter of semantics. I would suggest that those who only neck size keep the bolt lug faces well greased.

Depends on the brass and sometimes the chamber.
I can’t ever recall needing to bump the shoulder with WW brass until 2, 3, or 4 firings. But my Lapua brass needs bumped after every firing. This includes both brands of brass fired in the same rifle.

See page 42 in Nosler manual #6. I know PFLR is described in other manuals also, but this is the first one I pulled off the shelf.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/18/24.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
There you go adding references to the discussion. That ain't fair.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Partial full, jumbo shrimp, ...

grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Don’t forget popcorn shrimp—that’s just neck sizing….

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
M
marzoom Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by mathman
I'll agree to disagree.

Peace
smile

Meawhile poor marzoom just wants to know why his brass does't fit easily in the chamber.........

Hahaha. This has been a very interesting read so far but guess I should add to the way I resize.

I do both, FL and NS. For FL i am using RCBS dies and die set about 1/2 to 3/4 turn back from touching shell holder. NS is as said with a Lee reloader hand tool which is what is giving me issues at mention in my original post. I will back adjust this one next time I reload as an experiment.
For hunting, usually FL. Neck sizing is new to me actually.

Really appreciate all the comments. Thank you.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Depends on the brass and sometimes the chamber.
I can’t ever recall needing to bump the shoulder with WW brass until 2, 3, or 4 firings. But my Lapua brass needs bumped after every firing. This includes both brands of brass fired in the same rifle.

See page 42 in Nosler manual #6. I know PFLR is described in other manuals also, but this is the first one I pulled off the shelf.

My Nolser manual is their #2, but I'll take your word for it. I'll stick with a FL sizing at .002 bump. Dusty here in Arizona.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My Nolser manual is their #2, but I'll take your word for it. I'll stick with a FL sizing at .002 bump. Dusty here in Arizona.

.002 is what I usually aim for too when PFLR’ing.

Snow is melting here in Colorado, mud season is just around the corner…..

Page 31, Nosler #2.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The page you added and referenced describes leaving a 1/16" gap at the shellholder. That's not bumping the shoulder, only sizing the neck and case body sides ( to some degree)

Last edited by MikeS; 03/18/24.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have dies that will bump the shoulder without the shellholder touching the die. Depends on the rifle’s chamber and brand/lot of brass. Most of the time the shell holder is indeed touching die though.

You should inform Nosler what they are describing is neck sizing with a FL die…..

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 1/16" shellholder gap mentioned in your referenced page is .0625" a typical max vs. min headspace range is .008". How is a die set with that gap that going to touch the shoulder?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The page you added and referenced describes leaving a 1/16" gap at the shellholder. That's not bumping the shoulder, only sizing the neck and case body sides ( to some degree)
Is it describing the same thing as this?

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/partial-sizing-of-brass

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.