Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Y’all got a lot of poisonous snakes, we have rattlesnakes and cottonmouth here, but we are covered in bull snakes that eat other snakes, and roadrunners that eat snakes, very rare to see the poisonous ones, might be worth getting some bull snakes or king snakes.

Polecat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We've had a mild winter and a few weeks in the 60's and few of days in the 70's so far, but a cold front came through late last week and it only made it upper 20's today. It's been an open winter this year with the exception of 3 weeks of January. The snakes have bitten my dogs 4 times in the last 20 + years, and all have been from Oct. till March

Last edited by Polecat; 03/18/24.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Best snake repellent I know of. wink

4' coral snake....(that's pretty damn big) shot it by the front porch as the dogs were playing around it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
]
I’m thinking you have posted that pic before. That is one of the biggest coral snakes I have ever seen a pic of.
It’d make a dandy hat band! Unreal

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Best snake repellent I know of. wink

4' coral snake....(that's pretty damn big) shot it by the front porch as the dogs were playing around it.

]
I’m thinking you have posted that pic before. That is one of the biggest coral snakes I have ever seen a pic of.
It’d make a dandy hat band! Unreal

Yeah, I killed it last summer.

Hell it'd make a belt... The barrel of the revolver is pretty big around, but the snake was quite a bit bigger in diameter. Never saw a coral snake that big before. Mostly they are skinny and 2 foot long here.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DouginLa
Originally Posted by Polecat
Here in Michigan we only have one type of venomous snake, eastern massasauga rattler, and they are uncommon, except my lab seems to find them easily.

This is second time he has been bitten in the last 3 years. Both times it happened when things were warming up. Mi. rattlers move to higher ground in the fall to hibernate and have little ones, so I think they're hibernating in my field stone retaining wall (on the south side of the house) and that's where his crossing paths with them.

retaining wall

Is there any type of repellent that I can use to deter snakes from taking up winter residence there?

Lee
Full strength peppermint oil.

+1 for moth balls had a problem once in stone wall i have, dumped a box of moth balls all over it, one came out right away and have seen any since

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is one of the best snake repellants I've ever used. Charter Arms 22Mag with snake shot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It will take all the squirm right out of anything from this size

to this size, with no problems...

Harry
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
+1 for charter arms

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mongoose pee

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Come on.....nobody going to point out that it's a milk snake, not a coral snake?!

LHS

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Polecat
We've had a mild winter and a few weeks in the 60's and few of days in the 70's so far, but a cold front came through late last week and it only made it upper 20's today. It's been an open winter this year with the exception of 3 weeks of January. The snakes have bitten my dogs 4 times in the last 20 + years, and all have been from Oct. till March

Man, that’s weird. October down here can be bad down here for sure, as they get active again. They love to lay out in the open and soak up the sun. This can be the case into the first couple weeks of November. After that, I never see poisonous snakes until at least April. For whatever reason, I see poisonous snakes the most in May and September. It surprises me that they get going in Michigan in March. I lived in the Grand Rapids area for four years and never saw a poisonous snake. I guess I was pretty lucky! smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by LHS905

Come on.....nobody going to point out that it's a milk snake, not a coral snake?!

LHS
I was sitting here saying to myself -red touches yellow, dangerous fellow. Red touches black, won't fight back. But it looks more like a King snake instead of a Milk snake to me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Coral. Huge, at that

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Polecat Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
They are rare and most people in Michigan never see one. I think the eastern massauga is on the US endangered species list but it seems I live in an area with a local population the damn things. The first time 1 of my dogs was bitten the vet told me he hadn't seen a snake bite in over 20 years.
https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/education/michigan-species/reptiles/massasauga

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I hear putting.out tick granules repels snakes.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Sulfa pwdr burns there belly supposedly

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Polecat, that’s a wicked looking rattle, protected snake, don’t think I ever heard of that either, SSS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barry, that's the longest Coral I've ever seen, and the coloration of those Copperheads is bothersome, especially among dried leaves. That must be fun in early autumn. We don't have those out here, and the local dogs are fortunate.

The OP question about deterrent - have never known an effective substance/chemical to apply. Our best deterrent for these rattlers are the bull and king snakes we try to befriend and persuade to stay around. The local Road Runner is good on the little/young ones but have never seen him tackle a sizable rattler.

I think those Eastern Massasuaga are listed as endangered but not protected.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bpas105
Originally Posted by LHS905

LHS
I was sitting here saying to myself -red touches yellow, dangerous fellow. Red touches black, won't fight back. But it looks more like a King snake instead of a Milk snake to me.

It's 100% coral snake.

https://animalia.bio/texas-coral-snake

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might consider planting a tree to shade that area so the snakes don't go there to sun themselves in early spring.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'd release some kingsnakes. Other than that, keep grass cut low and get rid of any debris/junk piles.

Last edited by killerv; 03/19/24.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.