Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Bogtrotter
Sear is part#1 disconnector is #2 trigger bow is#3
Can you see any MIM failure from that system that would jam the firing pin in extended position?

DF

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Correct Metal Injection Molding (MIM). The only 1911 I have now is a S&W stainless 1911, never had a problem with it. Came with two mags, but you can't ever find them for sale anywhere. I purchased a few Wilson Combat 47D mags a while back but have never tried them out yet. For lube I use a stainless anti-static grease type stuff Sinclair came out with a few years back. Just a little tube but seems to last forever. Just message a little into the metal and reassemble.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’m still a bit confused how the Swartz system works.

Reportedly it has a structure that attaches to the grip safety and when the grip safety is compressed it moves the firing pin block to allow the firing pin to advance.

That’s apparently separate from the disconnector and sear.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Correct Metal Injection Molding (MIM). The only 1911 I have now is a S&W stainless 1911, never had a problem with it. Came with two mags, but you can't ever find them for sale anywhere. I purchased a few Wilson Combat 47D mags a while back but have never tried them out yet. For lube I use a stainless anti-static grease type stuff Sinclair came out with a few years back. Just a little tube but seems to last forever. Just message a little into the metal and reassemble.

Phil
Read where S&W 1911 is Swartz. Not sure how many MIM parts S&W uses in these guns.

What’s your experience with that system?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chez
If it's the original pin, I would look into one of the Wilson Combat titanium firing pins, along with a new spring. Good luck!

I've read confusing things about the titanium springs, some good some bad. My guess is your experience has been positive

EDIT - I meant titanium pins

They are OEM for several manufacturers.
Pretty sure Springfield uses them.

I think most series 70 guns of current manufacture

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If it's the original pin, I would look into one of the Wilson Combat titanium firing pins, along with a new spring. Good luck!

I've read confusing things about the titanium springs, some good some bad. My guess is your experience has been positive

EDIT - I meant titanium pins

They are OEM for several manufacturers.
Pretty sure Springfield uses them.

I think most series 70 guns of current manufacture
The springfield I had was not, and neither is my brother in law's. Haven't had a new S&W aprt so I couldn't say one way or another I worked on 1911's for 30 years mainly trigger jobs.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I prefer my single action 44 mag... I saved those photos and enlarged them. Don't see how anything could cause that mess. The first photo doesn't show the primer as having been pierced. The second photo though when enlarged does show what looks like a straight gouged tool mark. Don't see what could have caused that. Wondering if somehow that cartridge had two primers installed.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GG, don’t think you could seat two primers.

OP’s primers don’t look like a pressure thing. The primer looks gouged. Only thing that could do that, from my thinking, would be the firing pin.

And how could it do that if the firing pin spring had retracted it after the hit. Seems it would have to be jammed fully extended or somehow not retracted quick enough.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Sear is part#1 disconnector is #2 trigger bow is#3
Can you see any MIM failure from that system that would jam the firing pin in extended position?

DF
Not from just being a mim part, but if it was me I'd like to se the disconector, pin and do compression test on the firing pin spring.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Has anyone been firing a lot of +P ammo in it? Ruger uses MEM manufacturing to keep the price down. And there seems to be a lot of people with that same weapon with the same problems. Though thats the first I've seen with the case that screwed up. Don't think its an ejection problem. Send it back to Ruger with the brass and photos.

Phil
I'm not an MIM fan, although proponents say it's as strong as cast or milled steel. I'm not so sure.

And, I'm not sure what MIM part failed, to produce the OP's issue. And I agree with you; I've never seen that before.

To me the best explanation is the firing pin staying out too long, gouging the primer as the barrel drops down, unlocking the action. It seems the primer is scooped out by the protruding firing pin. I bet the scooped out part is at 12:00, at the top of the round. May be hard to prove that after the empty case has been ejected.

To the OP, let us know what you find and how you fix it.

Curious.

DF

Edited to add, what if the OP marked the round with a magic marker, chambered the round, positioning the mark at 12:00, fired the round and observed if the gouged out part corresponds to the 12:00 mark. Bet it does.

That would be good info for Ruger to know. I'd like to know that, too.
MIM. Junk as far as I"m concerned. Its said its good. I"ve not been impressed. Make the part cheaper. Sell the gun for more.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Primer Smear... have been searching on this for a couple days now without much firm descriptions or fixes. But anyhow this is as close as anything else...

Link

Seems like all agree it's caused by a weak ejector or firing pin spring. Or a not so good slide fit.

Primer Smear, I must admit, I've seen some off-center firing pin strikes, but nothing like this Ruger where it looks like it tried to spoon out the primer.

I'm still thinking a lot of +P ammo having been run through it.

Phil

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GG,

Glad you came up with the appropriate terminology.

DF

Edited to add, good stuff on your link. Hammer spring too strong, unlocking barrel/slide timing, firing pin spring strength, firing pin moving freely in slide, action spring strength. Lots of variables. Good detective work by a persistent sleuth may be called for.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/21/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I converted an SR1911 to .45 Super, and one of the "problems" that immediately surfaced was primers that appeared to have been sheared by the firing pin hole.

Same load, different FP and spring
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I saw that the primer was flowing back into firing pin hole, so weighed the firing pin. It was significantly lighter than a steel FP, so I replaced it with Wilson "bulletproof" pin and an extra strength spring. Problem was solved. A little more tweaking of mainspring weight and primers appeared normal. Pressure was not excessive, velocity is in order for a .45 Super, and ejection is about 6 to 8 feet, less with a comp.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Maybe “primer smear” is more common than previously discussed and documented.

Reckon there’s a simple solution or are we looking at a bigger, more complicated timing issue?

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I polished the firing pin and replace the slide spring with the lightest one I had. I hope that works and won't get to shoot it till next week sometime

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I polished the firing pin and replace the slide spring with the lightest one I had. I hope that works and won't get to shoot it till next week sometime
I’m trying to figure how a lighter action spring is gonna help. Looks like quicker unlocking slide/barrel would make primer smear worse.

What’s your thinking on that?

DF

C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’m trying to figure how a lighter action spring is gonna help. Looks like quicker unlocking slide/barrel would make primer smear worse.

DF

With a lighter spring the slide will move rearward with less resistance, quicker.

When the hammer is dropped, the pin will be forced forward, striking the primer. The pin will retract because of its spring (I will get a heavier one if this doesn’t work) and the slide will be pushed back from the force of the ignition.

With a lighter spring in the slide it will take less pressure to be forced reward which means it will be moving faster

The ignition is slightly under my control but my reloads are midrange and I don’t plan on changing that part of the equation.

I’m not a smith, did I miss something? I’m using what I have on hand and still looking for another pin spring combo just in case this does not work

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Look forward to your follow up report.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

DF

With a lighter spring the slide will move rearward with less resistance, quicker.

When the hammer is dropped, the pin will be forced forward, striking the primer. The pin will retract because of its spring (I will get a heavier one if this doesn’t work) and the slide will be pushed back from the force of the ignition.

With a lighter spring in the slide it will take less pressure to be forced reward which means it will be moving faster

The ignition is slightly under my control but my reloads are midrange and I don’t plan on changing that part of the equation.

I’m not a smith, did I miss something? I’m using what I have on hand and still looking for another pin spring combo just in case this does not work

Too light of a recoil spring does allow the slide to move faster, but it can beat the begeezes out of the frame.

Swifty
C
Chez Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Swifty52

DF

Too light of a recoil spring does allow the slide to move faster, but it can beat the begeezes out of the frame.

If it works I will experiment with heavier springs until the issue returns

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,616 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,780
Posts18,477,082
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.