Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Growing up in the '50-'60 those that called at our door were predominately caucasion, fast forward to the last several years they're all black. No longer going door to door, dressed in their Sunday finest they stand on street corners offering their religous tracts to passing motorists.

Don't think those street corner ones all dressed up are JW, they are some kind of Farrakhan Muslim mess, all with suits, bowties and shaved heads. I asked one for a pamphlet once just to see. Of course I he wouldnt give me one, just a snarly look from the guy.

I only know one used to be white JW. He left after many years, finally saying it was some kind of cult.

Last edited by killerv; 03/20/24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't answer the door, and if you do then close it.

Had some a few days ago it took em a few minutes but they finally figured out that no one was gonna answer and left

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by johnn
Enjoy the fruits of freedom, but don't participate.

You think most voters are into chanting?
I know for a fact that Roman Catholics chant. Methodists also. Baptists not so much. Many schools and churches have their assemblies saluting the flag and chanting the pledge of allegiance which Amish and JWs are opposed to. When I am at church or any other place where there is saluting, pledging, chanting, or responsive readings (Methodist) I just keep my hands down and respectfully listen but otherwise don't participate.

I enjoy the fruits of freedom and have done serious work in this country since I was about 15 yo. But my love for this country is not unconditional.

I agree many religious zealots chant, you inferred that voters chant.
I have a lot of respect for the amish, not so much for the JWs.

Do you vote?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you vote?
Yes, I am a chronic voter.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
In my mid-twenties, I had two HAWT JW girls about my age, knock at my door. I answered just to see what they were about.

Long story short, after I whipped out my comb and combed some chest hair up and out the neck hole in my shirt, I nailed them both at the same time.

- stxhunter

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's been years since we've had them call on us.
ran into two this morning in town. Nice short conversation. Was invited to Good Friday services in the town over next week. Nice chat. And they moved on.

Problem is people don't want to have conversations these days. God forbid anyone disagree with their thoughts.

of course at the end of the conversation if they won't leave... thats when it gets dumb.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by killerv
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I worked with one for several years. One day after the 4rth of July celebration in our small town he had gotten a ride to town with me and saw his son helping clean up the city park. He chewed that boys butt something awful for taking part in cleaning up after the celebration. He told me they do not honor the flag or country. I have held that against him since.

That is true. I will say the ones I know are extremely nice people. My mother secretary was one. One day I got on a knock on the door and it was her. She didn't know where I lived it was just by chance, well...I couldn't turn her and her husband away. They stayed for about an hour and it was definitely an experience to actually hear it from them instead of what you read or hear 2nd hand. Yep, God is the only thing to be honored in their world. No flag, country, etc.
And in a way thats really the way it should be. But we do put country and flag close to the top.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HASTINGS- " ... I know for a fact that Roman Catholics chant. Methodists also. ..."

I grew up in the Methodist Church in North Arkansas. We were regular attenders. I never heard anyone "chanting." We moved to Little Rock in 1957 and joined a large Methodist Church there. I never heard any chanting there, either. I've not been to any Church in many years, other than several funerals and weddings. I don't know what goes on there now.

Maybe "chanting" in the Methodist Church is regional ... or a "new" ritual. (???)

About the only "chanting" I've ever done was chanting "Go Hoggies, Go Hoggies, Go Hoggies," rooting for the Razorbacks at the University of Arkansas. Didn't work too well most of the time. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They have their own 'translation' of the Bible, called the New World Translation. It's not a translation at all. They took the real Bible and made something like 3000 changes to 'prove' their beliefs. They said the changes were corrections in the earlier translations. They change the meaning considerably. They have never revealed who did the 'translating'. There's no evidence that it was done by someone who was fluent in ancient Hebrew and Greek. If these guys were for real, they'd be proud to tell us what scholars made all those 'corrections'.

We have them show up here about once every couple of years. They never stay long as I've never been one to make them feel overly welcome. I'm not going to change their minds and they certainly aren't going to change mine so why waste time with them.

Easy Peasy... Open your Bible to John 1:1. Have them open their bible to John 1:1. Ask them why Jesus is a little "g" god in their bible versus the big "G" God in your Bible... Can't agree on who Jesus is? Got nothing to discuss. Hit the bricks...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
HASTINGS- " ... I know for a fact that Roman Catholics chant. Methodists also. ..."

I grew up in the Methodist Church in North Arkansas. We were regular attenders. I never heard anyone "chanting." We moved to Little Rock in 1957 and joined a large Methodist Church there. I never heard any chanting there, either. I've not been to any Church in many years, other than several funerals and weddings. I don't know what goes on there now.

Maybe "chanting" in the Methodist Church is regional ... or a "new" ritual. (???)

About the only "chanting" I've ever done was chanting "Go Hoggies, Go Hoggies, Go Hoggies," rooting for the Razorbacks at the University of Arkansas. Didn't work too well most of the time. grin

L.W.
What about those responsive readings that Methodists do? Isn't that chanting?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you vote?
Yes, I am a chronic voter.

Most excellent, non chanter I presume grins

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What about those responsive readings that Methodists do? Isn't that chanting?

I vaguely remember that. But it was the congregation reading various responses from a book in answer to whatever the preacher was reading. No chanting, just reading aloud. I'd forgot all about that. As I said, it was a long, long time ago.

My sister-in-law is a Methodist and goes to church religiously. (Pun intended. wink ) I'll have to ask her if they still do that.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by packrat77
Originally Posted by kolofardos
Originally Posted by EdM
What is the story behind no windows?

Huh?

They say it's cheaper to build the building without windows, or so I'm told.

Now that I think about it, the church in my neighborhood doesn't have windows, but a big one downtown does.
I don't know if it's true but I heard that it's because they got tired of fixing broken windows. They're a target for rock throwers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, Mahdists have responses reading

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by killerv
I worked with one for several years. One day after the 4rth of July celebration in our small town he had gotten a ride to town with me and saw his son helping clean up the city park. He chewed that boys butt something awful for taking part in cleaning up after the celebration. He told me they do not honor the flag or country. I have held that against him since.

That is true. I will say the ones I know are extremely nice people. My mother secretary was one. One day I got on a knock on the door and it was her. She didn't know where I lived it was just by chance, well...I couldn't turn her and her husband away. They stayed for about an hour and it was definitely an experience to actually hear it from them instead of what you read or hear 2nd hand. Yep, God is the only thing to be honored in their world. No flag, country, etc.
And in a way thats really the way it should be. But we do put country and flag close to the top.

Very true but they are not honoring God because they deny his Son Jesus Christ.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Never understood the whole patriotic thing for a country that's weaponized nearly all of its pieces. The ground is a place to live and the flag a piece of cloth. I just never gave a shìt becausei didn't ask to be here or anywhere. And that's not saying anything bad about those that don't agree with me.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
Never understood the whole patriotic thing for a country that's weaponized nearly all of its pieces. The ground is a place to live and the flag a piece of cloth. I just never gave a shìt becausei didn't ask to be here or anywhere. And that's not saying anything bad about those that don't agree with me.

It's a good thing those 56 brave men that signed the Declaration of Independence didn't feel as you do. You didn't have a choice to be born here but you sure do have one to stay.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's a good thing those 56 brave men that signed the Declaration of Independence didn't feel as you do. You didn't have a choice to be born here but you sure do have one to stay.

My thoughts as well.
I am proud to be an American and feel pretty fortunate to be here, even if there are things I don't like.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

My thoughts as well.
I am proud to be an American and feel pretty fortunate to be here, even if there are things I don't like.
Amen

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.