Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Originally Posted by sactoller
Do you think it got colostrum from the heifer or will you supplement?

This twin was out of a 6 year old cow and I'm 99% sure it nursed when it was born otherwise it might be dead.

But we still gave it a bottle of colostrum.

Lively little 40-50lb heifer calf!

Awesome.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's been little ones here since end of January or so.

And late fall calves in Nov as I recall.

I never figured these folks out here, I guess they take their chances with the weather for sure. Easy winter here this season, I think the lowest it got was 6F above.

Drives my wife nuts when we go to town and I see little ones out in a pasture. I yell "Babies, I love Babies".

Sorry to hear about your little one Barry, looks like a cute one for sure. frown

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Sorry to hear about your little one Barry, looks like a cute one for sure. frown

x 2.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
BIL, back in the day, ran about 20 head of Holstein milk cows. We had to pen one of them when a birth was due. She had such a strong mothering instinct she would attack the other cow and take the calf as her own.

She was - shall we say - right sporty when we went to seperate her from any of "her" calves.

When she dropped herself, unexpectedly (Jerry goofed the timing), I had a heck of a time finding the calf. She came in at milking time with the others (he had them trained to come when called). Somehow, she either convinced the newborn to go hide about 100 yards outside the pasture fence, or crawled the fence herself, both ways, to drop or hide her calf out there.

Then there was the time a black white-face heifer (Daisy!) didn't come in with the others, so Jerry sent me out on foot to bring her in, knowing she must have dropped during the day. Big pasture, with just one skinny little 20' tree in it.

And boy was I glad it was there!

When I didn't come in in a timely manner, Jerry came out more than an hour later on the saddle horse, looking for the body.... I was still up the tree, and Daisy was still under it, daring me to come down.

Brownie, the saddle horse, once balked at creek edge which she had jumped a few minutes before. I thought that tensing of her muscles meant she was going to jump it again, but I was all wet.

Working summers for Jerry had it's ups and downs. smile

Good luck with your calvings, guys.

Last edited by las; 03/19/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 57 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,580
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.