Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Turkeys should eat good, they love those things.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It takes 17 years to run a life cycle, that does not mean you only get cicadas every
17 years. Just that brood.

There are a lot of broods.

Good chance you can find them every year, just not as many as the big brood hatches.

I think there is a 13year too. The last 17 year brood we had in Ga was crazy, just a buzz all day long 24/7 til they were done. Wasnt just at night.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Up in NY State the katydids in the trees hang on well into the fall, by November there’s just a few left dropping out one by one, low and scratchy in the cooler nights. Finally a hard frost comes in and takes what’s left out.

Someone mentioned spring peepers. A favorite of mine too. The last time I’ve heard them was on White Mt NH in June, high/cold enough up they were still peeping, maybe 2003.

If I were a richer man retired I would travel up to the NE in March just to hear them again.
The spring peepers started here about a week ago.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Song of the South.
It’s every summer

Regular cicadas and katydids, I personally enjoy the sounds of summer.

We get crickets, night hawks, and frogs.

I like the sounds too.
I’ve made a giant set of copper pipe windchimes, enjoy hearing them too. Some of my pipes are 3ft long.
The wind cutting thru the trees and rain pinging my metal roofing is good noise. Especially for sleeping on a slow afternoon.

Lady where we stayed this weekend had a nice set, sounded great in the breeze. Thought to myself I should hit a scrap yard or maybe some new construction.

Jim, frogs are starting up good here. Still a mite chilly for crickets in the evenings. Nighthawks probably at least a month away still?

But, the snipe are here! Weird sounding birds.
The aluminum tubing from the old foldable lawn chairs makes good windchimes. My Wife has several of them all around the yard.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never heard that they damage trees but I did hear about copperheads having a taste for them.
I was only 5 in 1970, and I was in the service in 1987, so 04 was the first I really first saw them.
And I always think about not getting a chance to finish my damn beer!😀
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We get the small hatches every year, never thought much about them.

A couple years ago I was at Camp Atterbury, IN for an exercise in 2021 when they had one of the 17 year broods and it was amazing. Holy chit were those things loud, they drowned out the sound of the generators from a distance. At the peak, you couldn't walk from your car to a BLDG without having 3 or 4 of them land on you. By the end of the exercise they had just about disappeared though.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Paul_M
I was reading this article and found this interesting. They can screw up the acorn production cycle on oak trees.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-double-brood-of-periodical-cicadas-will-emerge-in-2024/

And female cicadas also damage trees directly by slicing into twigs to lay their eggs. Although these two types of damage rarely kill trees, the effect is enough to reset the clocks of trees such as oaks, which typically undergo “mast years” in which they produce large batches of acorns every few years in synchrony. After accumulating damage during a cicada emergence, these trees produce lean harvests for two autumns in a row and then a feastlike burst of nuts two-and-a-half years after a cicada emergence, Lill says.

I can't find it now but I read an article that said just the opposite - some researchers think the trees undergo a cyclic change and that's what triggers the cicada emergence.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The ones that will he hatching out in Alabama are the 13 year cicadas. I especially remember the 1998 and 1985 cycles. Both times the dead ones piled up in windrows along the side of the roads. The fish got so gorged after awhile it was nearly impossible to catch them using anything. This sound is like the hum of an engine flywheel amplified 100 times. For some reason I don't remember the 2011 hatch at all.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have any locally that I've ever heard. Here in Idaho, we have several species but they're all the annual types. I grew up in Boise and we'd hear them there every spring.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They can kill a young tree. They killed a peach for us the time before last. They zip open a young tender limb, afterward it dies and falls off.

On a bigger tree, it’s no big deal.
Our peach had only been in our ground since the previous fall. They killed too many branches, it died.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Never heard that they damage trees but I did hear about copperheads having a taste for them.
I was only 5 in 1970, and I was in the service in 1987, so 04 was the first I really first saw them.
And I always think about not getting a chance to finish my damn beer!😀
Reon

They don't harm the trees so to speak, but they do prune them in a way. It's kind of like God's natural way to prune the trees every 17 years or whatever. The bug cuts into the bark on the ends of the branches and they lay their eggs. Then, the last foot or so of the branch dies and falls off onto the ground. That's how the eggs get into the dirt.

They must taste good because it seems like all of the critters like to eat them including dogs.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe those Billions of Robins ol' mike saw migrating will eat those Billions of cicadas and there will be a happy ending to this.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

156 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.