P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
Originally Posted by Puddle
I've been tracking hunting reports on Sable for a while now and it appears that so far, the the most consistent reports on really big Sable have been coming out of Zambia.

Western Zambia has long been one of the most consistent producers of big sable. Western Zimbabwe and western Tanzania also, but not as consistently as Zambia. I won’t consider South Africa at all since they’re bread and hunted behind high fences. I’ll take my 42” Tanzanian and 45” Zimbabwean Sable every day over a 50” farm raised and high fenced sable.

Yup. I'm thinking along the SW border of Kafue NP. Free ranging, no fences.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
GB1

P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by SDLEFTY
Sable, nyla, buff and giraffe for me. I was blessed with outstanding kudu(61) eland(39.5) and gemsbok(40&42). But I want to do it on big property. Had an excellent time at Bokamosa in Botswana a few years ago.

61" Kudu? Well done!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Going back to the eastern cape this July and looking for a red Hartebeest. Nothing else special at this time

N
N
Getting the itch to scratch a few more ff the bucket list. Sable and bushbuck, possibly a nyala. Leaning towards Mozambique, but those big sable in Zambia are hard to beat. Wouldn't turn down a big waterbuck or another kudu if the right bull presented itself. No way to pull it off this year, so working on 2025.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing for me.
Plains game are fun and I have no regrets concerning my African hunting but there’s nothing beyond my kudu, gemsbok, impala and warthog that I want. Got a blesbok too but that was an add on because there was time to hunt more. I’d rather hunt other critters in other places as far as non dangerous game. Good on everyone though for pursuing their plains game desires.

I am booked for cape buffalo and crocodile next year in Zambia. One never knows with me if something else will die while I am there, but I have nothing specific in mind.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Sable and roan.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I still want a really nice Impala, warthog, nyala, and wildebeest. That, with another buff (euro next time) will fill up the gun room I’m building about perfectly. I currently have a 38” buff, Kudu, waterbuck, zebra, and puku at the taxidermist.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
For me it would be East African impala, the various bushbucks I don’t have already, roan and Lord Derby Eland.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I need really big Warthog and Bushpigs, Wife wants the four colors of Springbuck and a copper colored Wildebeest bull ; ]

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Spotted hyena, sable and roan.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Waterbuck, big warthog, spotted hyena, Roan

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have at least one mount of each of the 36 species of African animals that I have hunted. Still waiting on my taxidermist on 5 from previous hunts.

Ones that I would still like to hunt would include a Roan, Kob, Puku, Black and Kafue Lechwes, a different Hartebeest than my Red, a Grant, Roberts and Thomson Gazelles, a Lesser Kudu, a Gerenuk, Suni, Dik-dik, a couple of Forest Duikers, and a Bohor Reedbuck.

Then I would need a place to put them, as my Living and Trophy rooms are pretty much full now. cry

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I shot a pretty nice warthog in 2012 with my pre-64 358 Win and the 200 gr TTSX.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That's what I'm talking about! Nice warthog:)

Do or do not, there is no try.
C
CWD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Big nyala and Limpopo bushbuck.

RLTW
NRA Benefactor Member
P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by EdM
I shot a pretty nice warthog in 2012 with my pre-64 358 Win and the 200 gr TTSX.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another nice Warthog!

I shot mine with a 270 grain A-Frame out of the .375 H&H. No special reason; it's just what I happened to be carrying that day.

I'd hate to try getting one through agriculture inspection today tho, it's turned into a real trial (re: $$$ storage) in some of the airports.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by CAelknuts
I've been tracking hunting reports on Sable for a while now and it appears that so far, the the most consistent reports on really big Sable have been coming out of Zambia.

Western Zambia has long been one of the most consistent producers of big sable. Western Zimbabwe and western Tanzania also, but not as consistently as Zambia. I won’t consider South Africa at all since they’re bread and hunted behind high fences. I’ll take my 42” Tanzanian and 45” Zimbabwean Sable every day over a 50” farm raised and high fenced sable.

Yup. I'm thinking along the SW border of Kafue NP. Free ranging, no fences.

Sichifulo, Kasonso Busanga, Lunga Busanga, Illinda and other units in that area can all produce Sable over 45”.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sable
Lesser kudu
Roan

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Puddle Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by swiftshot
I once came across a beautiful sable in a very wild area in Zimbabwe.Since I was short of cash I turned it down.It would have been difficult even if I tried since I had my 500 double.If I had a scoped rifle the chances were much greater.However I only use an open sighted rifle for Africa-excpt for leopard.My Ph managed to use the wind to our advantage and get me to within five yds of a zebra which I took with my double.

The most impressive Sable I've yet to come across was unfortunately while on the dirt track traveling to meet the outbound plane.

I believe that's called perfect timing - for the Sable.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Can do you one better:

Gemsbuk Bull and cow/Aroab,Namibia., Same trip Blesbuk Ram, Impala, Zebra skin 1998 Bought and paid for Taxidermist
Black Wildebeast Bull, Red Hartebeast Bull, Blesbuk skin South Africa 2002, Bought and paid for.

They were "supposed" to be part of the group shipping (to save costs) however. The two trips were a combined effort, with trophies sent right after the 2002 trip. However, my Afrikaner Outfitter friend got twisted off with me when I would not support his financial agenda. The rest of the group received theirs in one shipment; mine were not. My "paperwork" was not "done", etc. Went back and forth, hard words via Fax/phone calls, etc. I resolved to just "give them" to the Taxidermist (very good man) to sell and invest back into "his" business. I took the Taxi/costs on the chin. Friendship ruined of course. In 2004, out of the blue, he called me and "again" wanted to me support him financially. I politely refused and said, " Don't contact me again". What I learned..."some Afrikaners" love you just fine, "until" it looks like the "American" won't Pay for their Lifestyle choices. No...I never went back and I am "never" going back to Africa. I have my memories and my photos. "Beware of Afrikaners Bearing Gifts" they say?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 73 invisible), 3,048 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.