Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have been using hand warmers to sight in my thermals, which, works sufficiently.

Watt are other options that may work as good or better? I read here that aluminum duct tape was a good alternative. Anyone had good fortune with other things?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Lazy, I am. I place a square of Reynolds Al foil on the target, making sure the sun is shining on it. Even a dark black or red sticker works, again making sure the sun is shining on it.

Which means I don't try to sight-in on overcast days.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
I always try to do final zero under same conditions as i hunt--dark and cool.
I have tried several things but prefer square/oblong hand warmer with a strip of black gorilla tape on each side except the top half inch.
This allows me to aim for top left or top right corner, speeding the whole process for my thinking anyway.
Also cleaning the gun often saves ammo in the process.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Lazy, I am. I place a square of Reynolds Al foil on the target, making sure the sun is shining on it. Even a dark black or red sticker works, again making sure the sun is shining on it.

Which means I don't try to sight-in on overcast days.

I use bright orange target circles & they look totally black & fuzzy. Am i I doing something wrong?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tripod3
I always try to do final zero under same conditions as i hunt--dark and cool.

I cannot do that. I am relegated to a sunup/sundown city range.

Robert E. Lee
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I use bright orange target circles & they look totally black & fuzzy. Am i I doing something wrong?

Haven't tried orange, prefer foil or black (marker or gorilla tape strip). As for the fuzzy aspect, could be a focus adjustment?

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sam_H
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Haven't tried orange, prefer foil or black (marker or gorilla tape strip). As for the fuzzy aspect, could be a focus adjustment?

For a thermal?

Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Silver HVAC tape works good. Hand warmers didn’t work for me when I sighted my thermal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-...-Foil-Sealer-Duct-Tape-1906075/100030120

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PINEKNOT
Silver HVAC tape works good. Hand warmers didn’t work for me when I sighted my thermal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-...-Foil-Sealer-Duct-Tape-1906075/100030120

What does your sight picture look like? Mine looks like a camera lens fading to black with a dim white fuzzy patch from the hand warmers. It worked but wasn't what I expected with my first experience with a thermal.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can use a washer of whatever size you prefer. I just pin it on cardboard and heat it up with a mini torch lighter. It'll hold the heat plenty long to get back and shoot. I usually shoot a washer at 100 then handwarmers at 2 and 300

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Several options based on sun conditions.

Easiest with strong sunlight is a black sticker/dot on a white sheet of paper. Sun warms the black more than the white. This is my favorite if there is strong sunlight on the target face.

Foil, either tape or just foil, on a black background. Works the opposite as the foil stays colder than the black in the direct sunlight.

If over cast then an AA battery. Roll in a few layers of foil and then close the ends causing the battery to short and warm up. Cut an X in the target and insert the battery on end. Gives a 1/2 inch diameter hot spot for about 20 minutes. The battery only lasts for one impact.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer Duct brand chrome duct tape from Wally World cut to square sizes of choice with scissors spritzed with silicon spray for clean cuts.

Far easier than using heating foil tape.

Tilt your target frame a few degrees back for a better reflection from the sky.

And you can easily cut little squares to repair the holes.

https://www.duckbrand.com/products/duck-tape/colors/chrome-188-in-x-10-yd

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,513
Posts18,472,386
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.