Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a new set of tires installed on my Dodge Ram and the tire guy mentioned bead balancing vs. the clip on lead/zinc. I went old school (lead/zinc) while researching the bead balancing. After researching I'm not sure. It seems that physically the beads would always be on the bottom of the tire as the tire rotates. I'd be curious about any experience that others have had with the bead balancing.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Only one thing with the beads, but not a truck.
I had a rear tire put on my Valkyrie motorcycle
and the man that had the shop had went to
using all beads. I'd never heard of it, and I
was in the automotive industry for 4+ decades.
I was sceptical, and he said that if I wasn't
satisfied, come back and he'd put on a new tire
and find some lead to do it the old fashioned way.
Nary a problem at all after that with the tire
or balancing. He specialized in road/highway
motorcycles, so I trusted his judgement.
I still don't know about a 4 wheeled highway
vehicle though. I don't know how qualified
some of the people I see working in tire
shops are. I've worked with some great
techs, and some ham handed pinheads

Good Luck

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've never tried them but I've read up on them a bit. They don't start to work until you hit about 30 mph. Then you can slow down and they'll maintain balance until you're going slow enough for them to fall out of the spin. This is repeated every time you stop.
They work better on tall tires. Low profile car tires will likely still need lead weights.
Using the right amount of beads is critical. Too much or too little can lead to premature tire wear and rough riding.
A lot depends on the suspension. Everything I read on that is in engineereze and out of my level of understanding.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use them on all my semi tires, but that's a different application all together.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Something I never heard of. How do you know how much to put in different size tires?

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Something I never heard of. How do you know how much to put in different size tires?
The tire shop will have a chart showing them how much to use for your tire size and type of suspension. Don't try to guess it. There's a lot of intense math involved.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Tire wear on the inside is a concern I have had with beads. Does anyone know if the beads sloshing around in the tire as you reach the magic speed that holds them centrifugally against the outside of the tire rubs the interior enough to cause damage over time? Are the beads in a bag and if so is that what protects the tire?

Last edited by VaHunter; 12/15/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Tire wear on the inside is a concern I have had with beads. Does anyone know if the beads sloshing around in the tire as you reach the magic speed that holds them centrifugally against the outside of the tire rubs the interior enough to cause damage over time? Are the beads in a bag and if so is that what protects the tire?

For our semi tires, the beads come in a bag that gets tossed into the tire before it is mounted. The bag disintegrates in the first mile or so, and then the beads just do their thing. We’ve never seen any tire damage from the beads and the casings are accepted for recapping like any others.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Inside tire damage isn't an issue. As the tire starts to turn, the beads move to where they need to be to stop bounce. Then centrifugal force keeps them there until you slow down enough for them to fall out of place. It's repeated every time you stop. So, the beads aren't moving most of the time.

― George Orwell

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not used the beads, however do use centramatic balancers. Have been happy with them. The balancers also help keep wheels clean of brake dust.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
We bought a 2011 GMC in 2019. Found out later when I bought new tires the custom wheel caps that came with it were rusted to the wheel and the tires couldn't be balanced with traditional weights because of it. The shop used the beads (they mentioned it was usual a semi-truck thing.) It has worked but it takes a few revolutions before the beads balance out the tire since at rest they are at the bottom of the tires.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have beads in my tires and haven’t had an issue with balance. It looks a lot cleaner too.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I checked when I put new tires on my Chevy 2500HD this past week. Discount Tire said they mostly put them on racing tires or high speed. Advice was not to us them on my truck

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have used them on trailer tires and my motorcycle. No complaints.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
had them in some 37x12.50x20's on a jeep gladiator and they were ok, if you came around a corner and got into it they wouldn't position and you'd need to come back down to a stop and start out slow again and straighter before getting into it to get them where they should go, not sure there was a better option though for those big boots and those black rhino Mozambique aluminum wheels? I don't like them...would rather fixed balancing that isn't a fussy little bitch when you're scootin and bootin

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So, Discount tire says they use them on race cars and for high speed driving, but they won't work on fast cornering and acceleration?

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So, Discount tire says they use them on race cars and for high speed driving, but they won't work on fast cornering and acceleration?

We have never used bead balancing on any of our racing tires and I haven't heard of anyone using them. Ours is drag racing if that makes any difference.

L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Follow up to my initial question. I did try the beads for two months and then had them removed and went back to the old style balancing method. I tried to like them and wondered whether what I was feeling through the wheel were the new tires. Then I had the truck into another shop for some power steering work. The owner of the shop always test drives my truck to make sure everything is right. His only remark after his drive - "you need to get your tires balanced." And I did and the truck now feels much better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tried them in one vehicle, didn't much care for them.

Have them in a couple cycles and love them for that application. Think in a trailer tire, as mentioned above, they'd work well also.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dutch
I use them on all my semi tires, but that's a different application all together.

I got talked into them on one of my trucks about 25 years ago and it was a clusterfuk. Maybe the technology is better now, but it sucked and we took it back and had it cleaned out. The tires had condensation in them and the beads turned into a lump of schit. This is a perfect example of trying to build a better mouse trap. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 04/08/24.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (21, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,641
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.