Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here in Virginia, opening day is Saturday, April 13.

God willing and decent weather, I plan on getting up at 2:00 AM and heading to my preferred section of the state forest I like to hunt in hopes of being the first, or only, person there. Hope to be there no later than 3:30 AM. I'll take a big cup of strongly brewed homemade Dunkin Donuts-brand coffee that I made extra strong. I'll sip on that until I get to 7-11. There I will pick up two Big Bite hot dogs (cuz its usually too early for them to have Breakfast Bites on the grill) and a frosted honey bun. And another large cup of whatever the strongest coffee is that they have. By the time I get to my hunting grounds, I'll be full, have a good dose of sugar, and have Spidey-Senses from all the caffiene. I'll get out of my truck and take a pizz - a long one. Then I'll just wait there for a little while until my eyes adjust to the darkness. With some luck, the sky will be clear and I'll be able to see the Milky Way. Over the northern horizon I'll be able to see distant lights of planes flying into norther Virginia. Hopefully, the Whipoorwills will be sound off. And maybe some owls. The sounds in the dark are amazing. I'll take my pocket flashlight and scan the clearted grounds near the place where I park, and the field across the street, for eyes. I've seen a lot of foxes and other unidentified critters that way. Once there is a hint of coming light in the eastern horizon, I'll start my mile-long trek to where I'm going to hunt. This is pretty much my morning ritual every time I go. If I hut on a weekeday, particularly a mid-week day, I usually get up at 3 AM since almost never run into other hunters during the week.

This year, I'll be trying Federal Premium TSS #9 in 12 gauge. I've taken birds with TSS in 20 gauge and .410, but never in 12. I've got a new Benelli M2 12 gauge 3" with a Carlsons TSS choke in .650. I still need to pattern it. And I'll be trying my own slate call I made out of Virginia slate.

Not sure I'll get a bird, but that's secondary anyway. I already bagged a nice tom in January. My ultimate goal is to enjoy myself. Nothing like being in the woods, senses alive, and seeing who will prevail. I'm never sorry that a turkey prevails, especially if I enjoyed the contest.

My wife thinks it's creepy to be way out in the woods, miles from anything, in the pitch dark. Not me. I feel way safer and at home in the woods in the dark than I feel anywhere else.

Me at 3:30 AM last season.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And sounds in the dark forest.
[youtube:video]
[video]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/23/24.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Try to keep it simpler than you

If I don’t spend the night in the bunk room at my farm I get up an hour earlier and drive down.

Drink a large yeti tumbler of coffee on the drive, empty my bowels in the bunk room (or woods if I’m hunting somewhere else), and walk in about 15 minutes before gobbling time

Nothing new this year but last year I did start keeping some listerine in my truck. A quick swish before I leave the truck helps with the taste and funk on mouth calls

Also got some readers to keep in my vest this year so I can keep up with work emails during the hunt

Edited to add - if I tag out and don’t have someone else to call for in South Carolina I’ve got a couple North Carolina public spots I try. Same routine but haven’t ever had much luck there

Last edited by ShortMagFan; 03/23/24.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't go anywhere until the coffee works....

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Get up at 5am

Grab a couple 20oz Mtn Dews from the fridge along with some slim jims, granola bars, maybe some peanuts

Walk about 3/4 mile to my spot

Only thing different this year is a new shotgun/scope and a new hat

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
after 30 years I bought new camo,, got a 20 ga. to try out, still be carrying my Albert Paul box call he built for me in 1996, a Ted "Pete" Peters slate call, a cody spec I legend slate. will drink aa beer then drive a mile get out and hunt.

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sleeping in and hunting the second shift! Seriously if I don't have one roosted then I will wait till the early risers have departed for the diner and then start my hunt. If I get responses then I am in business!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My morning ritual is pretty much the same regardless of where I am hunting.

Up early, a cup of coffee while I’m getting ready, bathroom, a cup of coffee for the road.

I like to be in the woods 1 hour before “sunrise” time. Sometimes that means getting up at 2:30 and a 2 hour drive, others it means cranking the buggy and driving across the road.

I am trying a cane yelper this year for the first time. That’s really the only new thing.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Been hunting the Missouri Ozarks for the past 32 years, now have to get up at 2am just to beat all the hunters from Arkansas. Never had a problem with other hunters unlit the last 4-5 years. Even if you are parked and walk a mile on an old road, the Arkansawyers will drive past your vehicle. Times have changed.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Been hunting the Missouri Ozarks for the past 32 years, now have to get up at 2am just to beat all the hunters from Arkansas. Never had a problem with other hunters unlit the last 4-5 years. Even if you are parked and walk a mile on an old road, the Arkansawyers will drive past your vehicle. Times have changed.
It started for us in the mid 90s in Dallas County only these were Louisiana hunters. There was a write up in some sort of publication about the conservation ground that bordered a huge piece of private we hunted.

After that write up the flood gates opened.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Up at 430sh, get dressed, coffee, maybe a bite to eat then in the woods and to my starting point by 5:45, sometimes I am at that starting point at 5:30.

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
4:30 up and at em, banana, boiled egg with juice and out the door. Want be in listening range 30 minutes before dawn,
Owl hooter in hand.
As others indicated since covid the woods are more crowded, may have too start 30 minutes earlier this year.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm finding that more and more, I'm more successful late morning/early afternoon. Doesn't stop me from being out before first light and does help with some quality naps out in the turkey woods.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
I'm finding that more and more, I'm more successful late morning/early afternoon. Doesn't stop me from being out before first light and does help with some quality naps out in the turkey woods.
I am about 50/50 on late morning kills versus first light kills.

Give me a gobbling bird at 11 and I feel my chances are far greater to kill him than one I try to work straight off of the limb.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
plan on a diet coke, and a sausage and biscuit while waiting on the birds to start talking. Set up and wait for them to hopefully come in for a free ride in the bed of my truck and some glamor shot pictures

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
It started for us in the mid 90s in Dallas County only these were Louisiana hunters. There was a write up in some sort of publication about the conservation ground that bordered a huge piece of private we hunted.

Dang shame no doubt, for 12-13 years I never ran into another hunter in the Ozarks. Last year seen 3 guys in one day. All from diff states, Florida, Mississippi and Arkansas. Two of the guys were first class, guy from Arkansas was a total dick.

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wake up 2 hours before sunrise and try to head out the door so that I'm at my spot about 10 minutes before legal hunting. It's about a 15 minute walk. I've been hunting my place for 24 seasons, so where the birds are going to be is no surprise.

I always pack a thermos of coffee. I always pack a snack of peanuts. I've been using the same shotgun and the same load since 1996. I don't think I've bought a new call, except a few diaphragms since 2014.

Usually, the last 100 yards or so, it is light enough that I can switch off my flashlight.

Most days, I wait so that I'm not the first call. Once I hear a fair amount of tree calling, I work myself into the general pattern. About half the time, I get some sort of response. Unless I've got a bird actively seeking me, I usually nap between 0800 and 0900. Once I'm awake, I start trying to attract the attention of a mid-morning gob. That lasts until 1100, and then I go in.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
I wake up 2 hours before sunrise and try to head out the door so that I'm at my spot about 10 minutes before legal hunting. It's about a 15 minute walk. I've been hunting my place for 24 seasons, so where the birds are going to be is no surprise.

I always pack a thermos of coffee. I always pack a snack of peanuts. I've been using the same shotgun and the same load since 1996. I don't think I've bought a new call, except a few diaphragms since 2014.

Usually, the last 100 yards or so, it is light enough that I can switch off my flashlight.

Most days, I wait so that I'm not the first call. Once I hear a fair amount of tree calling, I work myself into the general pattern. About half the time, I get some sort of response. Unless I've got a bird actively seeking me, I usually nap between 0800 and 0900. Once I'm awake, I start trying to attract the attention of a mid-morning gob. That lasts until 1100, and then I go in.
You're going in at what I consider the best time to kill a bird.

I love playing the game with those mid day birds.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
In WI, turkey hunting is like deer hunting, before sunrise until after sunset. Sometimes, I do sleep in a little! Lol!

NRA life member

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Dang shame no doubt, for 12-13 years I never ran into another hunter in the Ozarks. Last year seen 3 guys in one day. All from diff states, Florida, Mississippi and Arkansas. Two of the guys were first class, guy from Arkansas was a total dick.

During the pandemic shutdown, there were people everywhere. not hunters, but idots that had no clue. The best was I heard a shot and watched a turkey fly out and past me by a few hundred yards onto private land. The idiots bumbled out of the woods and asked if I saw a turkey fold. I told them it flew to the next county and was unharmed.

Hunter numbers seem to be dropping a bit, but they will be elevated still due to all the social media out there exposing people.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This is a tough one... I'm up at 3 am eating and preparing and it always seems like I'm a 1/2 hour late.

Its the debate if I take a caffiene hit right away and hope it works before I leave.

That magic movement is why I seem to be a 1/2 hour late most times, but it beats finding the right height log.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (160user, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.