Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I think the .835 has a bore diameter of .777, which is actually bigger than a 10 gauge at .775. Choking that down to .680 (.097) is quite a step down.

Those and Browning overbore stuff have barrels that gradually come back to a nominal size for their choke system.

Maybe some do, but the Browning does not. For instance the Browning Invector Plus bore diameter is .745. I just measured a Calson's extended choke I have for that barrel that is labeld .665. The inside diameter at the back end is exactly .745. The diameter at the muzzle tip is .663. So it appears the squeeze down occurs solely in the choke.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well... received the Trulock choke in yesterday's mail. Complete sucky packaging for shipping, threaded end of the choke got damaged and is no longer round. Going to contact Trulock to see if they can be any assistance and contacted whom I got it from, but so far, no response. So right at the moment, I'm getting different measurements from where I measure it from! Lol! All I can do is try to maintain a sense of humor...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Did you buy that choke off this website? Did it gety damaged in shipment? That's pretty chitty to send someone a damaged choke. It takes A LOT to get a choke out of round.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No, not here, and yes, in shipment. Pics prior to shipping show no damage and an as new clam pack. Clam pack, post shipping, looks like it got run over. Found a mandrel out in my garage and got it round again. And some very careful filing got the burr removed and threads cleaned up. Screwed into the barrel without an issue. The barrel choke tube edge seam are flush and good to go.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
I think the .835 has a bore diameter of .777, which is actually bigger than a 10 gauge at .775. Choking that down to .680 (.097) is quite a step down.

Those and Browning overbore stuff have barrels that gradually come back to a nominal size for their choke system.

Maybe some do, but the Browning does not. For instance the Browning Invector Plus bore diameter is .745. I just measured a Calson's extended choke I have for that barrel that is labeld .665. The inside diameter at the back end is exactly .745. The diameter at the muzzle tip is .663. So it appears the squeeze down occurs solely in the choke.

.729 is English ‘nominal’, and Browning’s usually run closer to .742 (their back bore spec) on invector plus….Benelli stuff is closer to .720. Fabarms had various ‘stages’ of bore step down. The Inv Plus system is one, long parallel section, that tends to flare slightly out, right at the choke. The chokes for it have been figured out for a long time, by the manufacturers, with lots of shooter input.
Hastings WLII (IIRC) had a .745 bore and a very stiff barrel, with straight rifling. Terror .675 and .655 tubes are amazing in both systems. How the choke gets from bore dimension to final choke outlet is the thing that seems to make the most difference, not worrying over the #s so much. Counting the intervals, most of my extended, tight invector plus tubes are near 3” long.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 03/26/24.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The inside of the barrel goes from chamber diameter to bore diameter to choke. Between the forcing cone and the choke, the bore is just a cylinder. The outside diameter of the barrel may increase a bit towards the muzzle end to accomodate the choke tube.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 03/26/24.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
No, not here, and yes, in shipment. Pics prior to shipping show no damage and an as new clam pack. Clam pack, post shipping, looks like it got run over. Found a mandrel out in my garage and got it round again. And some very careful filing got the burr removed and threads cleaned up. Screwed into the barrel without an issue. The barrel choke tube edge seam are flush and good to go.

Every choke I’ve ever ordered direct from Turlock was WAY over packaged….always in a plastic clamshell, inside a padded envelope, inside a big, padded box. Short of shipper running over it, hard to see it getting wrecked like that. Trulock has been great to deal with…..for decades.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The inside of the barrel goes from chamber diameter to bore diameter to choke. Between the forcing cone and the choke, the bore is just a cylinder. The outside diameter of the barrel may increase a bit towards the muzzle end to accomodate the choke tube.

True with most shotgun mfgs but the newer Fabarm shotguns don't adhere to this inside bore spec. They use a "Tri-Bore" type of ID bore.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Wasn't from Trulock.

NRA life member

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The 20ga 870 likes the Trulock.555 with TSS #9s at 40

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The 560 Pinhoti from my TC isn’t bad either. I did pull the shot low right though.

Same load/distance.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.