-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just curious, why has Airframes Alaska (formerly Alaska Tent and Tarp), changed their name again?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are expanding constantly onto new ground and buying businesses. I do not have any specific idea, but they probably have good reasons. They seem to be good people.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
Just curious, why has Airframes Alaska (formerly Alaska Tent and Tarp), changed their name again?

A few years ago, they also got into "aviation" related products.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
There are several speciality businesses that have owners that were getting long in the tooth. Alaska Gear started in Tundra Tires, then added products, bought Alaska Tent and Tarp, looked around, started building weird azz dip nets, then figured- We gottem all flatbrimmed rich pilgrim doctors buying are stuff so lets makem some new 600 dollar bunny boots.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Long-ago John Summerall controlled the "Airstreak" Tundra Tire Business. Ole' John, sure dodged some bad poop. I wonder if he is still alive.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't heard of John for several years. Last I heard he was living in L48 and his Beaver was still in Alaska.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
His kids and grandkids live out in Tok and here in Fairbanks. He sure was an interesting guy.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by VernAK
I haven't heard of John for several years. Last I heard he was living in L48 and his Beaver was still in Alaska.
Never leave a beaver behind

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When they buy a company the price of the goods go way up. Other than that Airframes seems like a good company. They hire Alaskans and produce gear made for here.

I use their gear all the time. Got a couple arctic ovens, 4 sleds of various sizes and shape and a set of Bushwheels. If the boots are decent price I might get a pair. Still have a good set of bunnies but I've switched to Stegers for the most part.

Glad they make the stuff they do and I wish them the best.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I absolutely wish them the best of luck, and although I've only owned products from Alaska Tent and Tarp (a couple AO tents), I couldn't be happier with their stuff and I hope they continue doing what they do. I was just wondering why they have changed hands so many times in the last few years.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm a fan of many of the businesses he's (Sean McLaughlin) bought, but not so much what he's turned them into. Much preferred dealing with at&t before it was bought.

Airframes is hit and miss about actually having [bleep] for sale. There's a pretty serious focus on the flat brim crowd and a lack of hardware at times. I do like their "by the piece" hardware section though, for the most part.

The man does know how to market though, and how to turn a profit. And all the companies do make quality products for the most part.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1337Fungi, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,934
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.