Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
[quote=kk alaska]A good combo is 2 boats 1 motor 1 trailer, 470 with Jet , and a flat bottom aluminum skiff 17 to 18 ft.

Use the Solar to play and the aluminum skiff for freight and work. Usually easier and cheaper to buy a used boat with trailer and motor. Most were older 2 stroke jets, but so many Solar jet boats were sold. the older 2 stroke, LW outboard jets are long gone!

The inflatable Solar Jet will plane and run with a lot more weight than a Aluminum jet boat just does not have the room, both have there pluses and minuses.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
KK,

Thanks for sticking with me here.

So, I see a lot of “bigger” boats dipping on the Kenai. Seems that they’re able to push those heavier boats back upstream to the back of the line..with 50s.
No, they’re not getting up on step, or setting any speed records, but they are making the rounds with an obvious undersized motor.

Last time I went was on a buddy’s 24’ ocean boat that we use for setting pots.
That particular boat weighs a lot, and runs two 225 outboards when in the salt.
Again, no speed records, but with the 50 it would run the loop.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After the Friday EO Massacre one would have to ask "Why the Kenai?" It is crowded and without king fishing of any kind this year and likely for quite a while it brings it down to reds and silvers. Both of which can be gotten a lot closer...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you plan to run the Kenai other than dip netting? The last 4+ miles are unrestricted for motor horsepower. If your only plan is to dipnet, pick the motor that best fits the boat and stay below the markers. (Signs on both riverbanks). You will be much happier and safer utilizing your boat other places the rest of the year.

Last edited by JimInAK; 03/17/24.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
After the Friday EO Massacre one would have to ask "Why the Kenai?" It is crowded…

Hey Art, almost gave you a call yesterday.

Yes it’s crowded. And that is one of the main reasons I’m looking at boats… My fantasy is to be able to boat away from the crowd, even 100’ would be great…either drop anchor, or step out and start flipping.
As you, and everyone else knows, there’s a hole downstream of the island behind the sports complex that holds fish, but a hundred yards downstream from the end of the island there is a bend. I’d like to access that bend (as well as some other “away from the crowd spots).

As per “closer” waters…well….I’m not familiar with those waters - yet.

I guess I just figured (fantasized) that if I had a little boat that I’d be able to accomplish my river flipping and MAYBE even be able to dip “if” I wanted to.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
as somebody who's fished the Kenai pretty extensively, I hate to burst your bubble, but its getting pretty dam hard to find that spot you have in your mind. With no kings to fish, the guides all turned to doing flip and rip trips, 2 or even 3 a day and they plug up the best, or even fair spots early and stay till late.
And if you are able to find a spot to get out and flip with some piece, 2 or 3 boats will show up and now you're still combat fishing.

As far as the Wooldridge and a 50HP, it'll work. I have a Willie Predator with the T50 and while it doesn't win any races, it'll work. I'd love to be able to hang a 115 on it, but no go unless the rules get changed.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Steve that is why I fish the lakes for Rainbows lots of fun and little pressure.

kk alaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
as somebody who's fished the Kenai pretty extensively, I hate to burst your bubble, but its getting pretty dam hard to find that spot you have in your mind. With no kings to fish, the guides all turned to doing flip and rip trips, 2 or even 3 a day and they plug up the best, or even fair spots early and stay till late.
And if you are able to find a spot to get out and flip with some piece, 2 or 3 boats will show up and now you're still combat fishing.

+1

Many of the lodges/guides will even go so far as to dump their staff on the shore in the wee hours of the morning to fish and hold the spots until they return with clients.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know guys who are starting trips at 3am. to get "their spot" One guy will shuttle clients back and forth to the launch all day while another guide stays on the bar with clients and nets their fish.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Really good, and insightful, post.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Really good, and insightful, post.
Steve has more than a clue...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, Art.
You’re quite the well spring of knowledge yourself and I highly value your opinions and insight.

Seems my fantasy is just that “a fantasy.
Steve has throughly burst my bubble and any illusions of escaping the combat on the Kenai….yet I am grateful for the knowledge.

I believe I’ll look for something that’ll run fairly skinny water (without hamstringing the rig with a little 50 go) and have some fun….maybe explore some of the interior waters up north. I’ll do my part at reducing some of the Norther Pike, find some Grayling, and ‘Bows. And of course putt around the mouth of 20 Mile during the Hollie run.
I see Dewey’s has some MVJTs hanging around…might think 115/80.

I’ve been here in Homer since January, and last week the Winter King dance was in full swing - I’ve got to say, I’ve rather taken a liking to that area as well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Oh, no. You’re a Homeroid!
😏

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Oh, no. You’re a Homeroid!
😏

Indeed I certainly could become one.🤣

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
358wsm, hit me up this summer and I'll take you for a first hand sightseeing trip.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
358wsm, hit me up this summer and I'll take you for a first hand sightseeing trip.

Very gracious of you to make that offer - I’d be honored.
Thank you.!

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alright, so I looked at a SeaArk 1872 MV today.
They’d be mating it to a Yamaha F-115/80 propped yet including the lower jet unit.

Thoughts.?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Should be a useful boat for all freshwater except the Kenai

kk alaska

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=kk alaska]Should be a useful boat for all freshwater except the Kenai[/quote

Does the 20” transom height concern you.?

It does me for some reason.

Couldn’t I raise/build up that height and run everything off the jack plate.?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 115 Yammie probably weighs close to 400 pounds. Does anyone make an electric jack plate that will raise and lower it enough to handle both the prop and jet without removing the motor?

Kurt, have you ever tackled 20 mile with your Solar rig?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.