Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by slumlord
Some of those 4 passenger Apache gunships might work better.

Aint that right campfire braintrust?
No need for all a that gunships stuff

One dude in proper Out West attire take care of a whole county if he wanted

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Is that picture of a screen shot from your Emachine?
Out West the doctors' offices are full of lifestyle art. laugh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll come shoot the damn things for free, even feed myself too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I never thought to ask him what the shooter uses. Probably a shotgun eh?

Yep. Benelli w/magazine extension tube is the tool used by a friend doing that sort of work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to do gun work for the director/boss? of the govt trappers in our area (I think Scenar Shooter was in his district) and he had me change the Benelli left handed shotgun's safeties to right hand safeties due to the confusion the shooters had when they changed over to the LH Benelli's. He said the RH guns would eject the empties into the pilots gauges and break the glass etc.
This was in the airplanes. I don't think they had the same problem in the choppers (Hughes 500's ).
My friend Dick Martin said he liked the airplanes better. He was a friend of mine here in Columbus. He passed away several years ago and his boss Jim Hoover also of Absarokee/Columbus died recently.
Interesting guys, both of them.
I don't know if those guys have ever been replaced.

I never met Scenar Shooter, but I do miss his pictures and stories and hunts with his family.

Last edited by kennymauser; 03/28/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When we arrived in SW Arizona in 1962 one of the first guys I met was a government employee whose job it was to control predators - mostly focused on coyotes. There were a lot of sheep being wintered there.

He used his rifle and shotgun quite a bit, but worked as much or more planting those explosive devices that contained cyanide. He called them "coyote getters".

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cyanide Guns were all over N.W. Colorado and eastern Utah when I was a kid Government trappers put them out. the gun was a 1/2" 2 piece they drove the bottom piece in the ground and the top piece was the gun which held a .45 acp with a Cyanide capsule looked like a rat shot round they would wrap a piece of rag around the top and bait it, Coyote would bite the rag and the gun would go off in their mouth, they were dangerous as Hell, killed a lot of town dogs, and few people that tripped or stepped on one while walking, most of them had a yellow and black sign close by to warn people they were close to one. Colorado Wool Growers Ass. trappers put a lot of Cyanide guns out also. life was different back then. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RIO7
Cyanide Guns were all over N.W. Colorado and eastern Utah when I was a kid Government trappers put them out. the gun was a 1/2" 2 piece they drove the bottom piece in the ground and the top piece was the gun which held a .45 acp with a Cyanide capsule looked like a rat shot round they would wrap a piece of rag around the top and bait it, Coyote would bite the rag and the gun would go off in their mouth, they were dangerous as Hell, killed a lot of town dogs, and few people that tripped or stepped on one while walking, most of them had a yellow and black sign close by to warn people they were close to one. Colorado Wool Growers Ass. trappers put a lot of Cyanide guns out also. life was different back then. Rio7

I think there's lots of myth with the difference in the blank fired cyanide "coyote getter" and the more modern M-44 in use today.

I never heard of one fired by a 45acp blank. Have seen some photos of a much smaller caliber blank used in those though.

Either device works the same way... A coyote grabs the bait swab and pulls it, and the cyanide capsule is triggered into it's mouth. You'll find the animal dead right there... either way. About all that had changed is the firing mechanism is now spring loaded and puts a "puff" of cyanide dust into the coyotes mouth.

I've heard tall tales about the blank fired device my entire life. My grandad, and my dad worked in the oilfield, and would come home with all kinds of tall tales related to seeing the signage....

"A guy better carry a pocketknife out here and be ready to cut his own leg off if he steps on one. He has 10 seconds to do the amputation before he dies."

"A guy I heard of in the next town got his foot blown off by one of those coyote blank fired devices... the poison killed him anyway."

And on and on... Never found any documentation of facts though.

You have to be certified on the M-44 devices now. Lots of classroom and procedure involved, but it's still not a total cure for coyotes by any stretch.

What people usually don't know is that back in the old days, before the EPA, Compound 1080 accounted for 80% of coyote control. They would put compound 1080 on meat, or carcasses, and coyotes or anything else that feasted would be found right there. Large collateral damage footprint...When the EPA banned that, coyote population went basically unchecked. Still does.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The predecessor of the M44's used a small 38 cal blank (38 short maybe?) Found one in my FIL's stuff after he passed.
When I first got licensed for M44's, the 1080 sheep collars were still legal - not sure if they still are, or not.
I never got certified on 1080 collars, as I never had any sheep.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
The predecessor of the M44's used a small 38 cal blank (38 short maybe?) Found one in my FIL's stuff after he passed.
When I first got licensed for M44's, the 1080 sheep collars were still legal - not sure if they still are, or not.
I never got certified on 1080 collars, as I never had any sheep.

Yeah, you can still get the 1080 collar.

Kills the coyote attacking the sheep, but kills the sheep too. (Pick an old cull to put it on.. wink )

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a USDA gunner at my facility. Dude has the best job of all of us. Roll a half ton chevy with a bunch of suppressed rifles in it and lays waste to everything that touches the dam, transmission lines or substations.

He makes about 25 bux an hour less than us, but I'd trade jobs tomorrow.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Out West the doctors' offices are full of lifestyle art. laugh

Back east it's usually dogs playing poker, tastefully rendered on black velvet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,187
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.