Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Guys it’s called base not basis
like corn base acres or wheat base acres only( don’t believe soybeans ever counted) was a big deal when rented a farm with high corn base or even added when selling one. I don’t believe it is a big deal anymore but was used in the LDP days and setaside or pik days. You could build base acres but only allowed so much per year.
Basis is basically “hidden freight charges”
See attached . The board price is $4.42 at one inland elevator basis is -.10 so you get $4.32 per bushel cash
The river basis is -.04 so you get $4.38
Basis changes on demand and river levels. Most time .10 is decent .05 is better have seen a positive basis of .10 as well when they need grain badly. Basis is the easiest way to make/lose money. Basis can swing from -.10 to -.30 overnight due to demand. So board price stays same but basis changed .20. What’s bad is when board drops and basis raises at the same time ,,,double whammy

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It always makes me grin when fat people complain about farm subsidies. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Jim1611
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

Sounds kinda like you care a little bit.
Not caring but observing what our taxes are helping to fund. When your neighbor brags about how much he gets from subsidies on oats and barely and never raised a crop of either it seems fishy to me.

There is something called "basis"...where you get paid for crops you used to raise.

I am not sure how it works.
I rent out what little farm ground we have. I want to put it all in CRP but they use a date back in the 1980's for the comparison. We did not have row crop on that ground, we had hay. So, the USDA has no basis to compare to. So, until the Congress changes that date, we will be renting out the ground.

kwg
If it's fenced, you could rent it out as pasture to get cropping history to be able to get it into CRP. Or find out how many years of grain it takes to get the min cropping history for the CRP application.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by kwg020
In my area, northeast Missouri, the family owned farms here are usually running about 3000 acres. Some of that is rented ground. I have no way of knowing their finances or care to but they all are driving the newest and best pickups and farm equipment, live in the nicer homes around here and take plenty of vacations every year. If they're hard up it isn't showing by the way they live.

Sounds kinda like you care a little bit.
Not caring but observing what our taxes are helping to fund. When your neighbor brags about how much he gets from subsidies on oats and barely and never raised a crop of either it seems fishy to me.

There is something called "basis"...where you get paid for crops you used to raise.

I am not sure how it works.
I rent out what little farm ground we have. I want to put it all in CRP but they use a date back in the 1980's for the comparison. We did not have row crop on that ground, we had hay. So, the USDA has no basis to compare to. So, until the Congress changes that date, we will be renting out the ground.

kwg
If it's fenced, you could rent it out as pasture to get cropping history to be able to get it into CRP. Or find out how many years of grain it takes to get the min cropping history for the CRP application.

Unfortunately, it's not fenced. The price of fence material is sky high. I don't have enough years left to make it pay for me.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

428 members (1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 44 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,867
Posts18,497,454
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.