Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by mart
This one in 6x45 shoots purty darn good. Sub MOA with many loads. From Accuracy Rifle Systems.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Cost? What brand and twist barrel?

Not sure on the brand. It’s whatever Accuracy System uses. It’s a 1/9 twist.
Looked at pricing and for what it costs to work on an M1A or M14 the pricing for the mini isn't bad.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Wonder why the brain trust at Ruger did not use AR15 magazines in the rifle?

I see this stated SOOOOOO often..... and it drives me crazy. People do not understand gun design.

All ya gotta do is completely redesign the Mini-14 to take AR magazines, it would be so simple!... then why doesn't someone do it? They could make millions!

it's even worse than "they shoulda made it take Schlock mags!"
Umm since they are gun designers it would have been simple had they known about AR popularity at the time. Bill hoped the AR would die and his mini would live. We got lucky that Bill and the mini lost

umm yeah. simple. How would the mag catch work?

What kind of monstrosity would have to be made in order to make AR magazines go in a "mini-14"?

At the time, lots of people liked the M-14. Lots of people also didn't really care much for the M-16. The Mini-14 was made to emulate the M-14, down to the magazine design, and people didn't have a problem with that. And they sold the everlovin' schidt out of them. Even with magazines being fairly hard to come by.

It's just a different gun. Not everything has to be AR compatible. The Mini-14 used to be the economical choice... by FAR. It's not anymore. And the magazines have nothing to do with that.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Shot my first deer (14) with a Mini. One shot running. Spined her if I remember with Black Hills ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wonder why the brain trust at Ruger did not use AR15 magazines in the rifle?

I see this stated SOOOOOO often..... and it drives me crazy. People do not understand gun design.

All ya gotta do is completely redesign the Mini-14 to take AR magazines, it would be so simple!... then why doesn't someone do it? They could make millions!

it's even worse than "they shoulda made it take Schlock mags!"
Umm since they are gun designers it would have been simple had they known about AR popularity at the time. Bill hoped the AR would die and his mini would live. We got lucky that Bill and the mini lost

umm yeah. simple. How would the mag catch work?

What kind of monstrosity would have to be made in order to make AR magazines go in a "mini-14"?

At the time, lots of people liked the M-14. Lots of people also didn't really care much for the M-16. The Mini-14 was made to emulate the M-14, down to the magazine design, and people didn't have a problem with that. And they sold the everlovin' schidt out of them. Even with magazines being fairly hard to come by.

It's just a different gun. Not everything has to be AR compatible. The Mini-14 used to be the economical choice... by FAR. It's not anymore. And the magazines have nothing to do with that.
I have no clue but I bet I could figure it out without a monstrosity. That said you missed the point, THEY are gun DESIGNERS.. They could easily do it. So many bolt guns take AR mags. How the hell did they do that? ...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ruger made it in several flavors of tacti cool over the years, different calibers, folding stocks, it would have been a simple matter for them to reengineer the magazine port to accommodate the most popular magazine in the world.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger made it in several flavors of tacti cool over the years, different calibers, folding stocks, it would have been a simple matter for them to reengineer the magazine port to accommodate the most popular magazine in the world.
Why can't magazine designers create a Mini magazine that works as well as the original and with volume, they would be cheap too. How many Mini's are out in the market ? 5 or 6 million ?? Maybe as many as their are M14's and M1A1's ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kwg020
Why can't magazine designers create a Mini magazine that works as well as the original and with volume, they would be cheap too. How many Mini's are out in the market ? 5 or 6 million ?? Maybe as many as their are M14's and M1A1's ??

kwg

Paid ~ $28/pop for my Ruger OEM mags from CDNN the last go-round.

Don't consider that to be prohibitive.

Quality steel product that functions flawlessly and lasts forever.

(Although the 10-rounds purchased were the same price as the 20-rounders, which annoyed me a might.)

GR

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Minis shoot great.
Mine shoots pretty good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But it’s an ASI Mini-30 with true .308 bore.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Shot a lot of deer with that thing, before and after the conversion. My boys nicknamed it The Peashooter. It still gets action during the fall.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
'
[Linked Image]

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the next mini thread should wait until at least June.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In that TFB video, Clint says the Minis are fine, as long as you stick with Ruger factory magazines. As I’ve reported before, mine has never failed to feed, fire, or eject, save a couple FTEs while testing smaller gas ports. 2moa with ammo it likes, as good as a lot of AR carbines, and better than the sainted AKs that no one ever dares to criticize.

Expensive? Harder to hang schitt on? Funny magazine changes? All true, but none of them matter to me because it always works and can hit anything I need to hit, plus I like it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Mini 14s are cool if you just want one. I have one and more than a few M1s and M1 Carbines.

For a real deal using rifle it's a pretty poor choice with the AR-15 being a thing.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Coolness factor aside, the draw of the Mini (mine’s a SS Ranch) for me is its simplicity, slim form-factor, and low-maintenance utter reliability. Toting it around with a flush 5-round mag is distinctly more comfortable than anything with a big box hanging down, and it’s less likely to draw negative attention from the dog-watchers and bird-walkers (that’s a joke) that frequent the WMA I hunt and hike, many of whom think it’s some kind of park or nature preserve.

My potential real deal scenarios are likely less demanding than those of some others, but I have a couple of ARs now and another on the way that I can hang schitt on if I want to protect my “castle” in style. For certain they’re simple to futz with and both in hand have been quite accurate and thus far, early in the game, reliable. The one on order is a carbine that I hope to set up well while keeping the weight within reason.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,492
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.