-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just did my monthly 5 minute scan of the American Rifleman and see where SDS acquired Inglis and will be offering Hi Powers, or more accurately an L9A1 and what they are calling a GP-35 - case hardened frame and slide with smooth walnut grips.

MSRP is $489.99 for the basic L9A1 version.

https://sdsimports.com/inglis-l9a1-9mm/

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

https://sdsimports.com/inglis-gp-35-9mm/

$649.99 for the fancy-shmancy version.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks like Mark 3 clone. It is remarkable they can offer these at such reasonable price. Last FN HPs assembled in Portugal sold for $1100 to $1200.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Similar to the Browning MkIII I used to have. Amazing price. I wonder what the quality will be like.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I cannot comment on the Inglis manufacture but the Tisas guns I have gotten through SDS have been incredible... Not sure I would like the case colored one but plain model I might have to get

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm assuming these are made in Canada?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No, after doing some searching I found that they're made in Turkey. The ownership/producer list reads like a drug cartel's shell companies. SDS bought Inglis, the guns are roll marked Knoxville, TN, but an NRA announcement says they're made by Military Armament Corporation (whoever that is), and in the video below the SDS rep specifically mentions a location in Turkey.

These are MkIII designs. I'm not a Hi Power expert by any means but some commenter on Reddit says it's not a historically accurate WWII Canadian Inglis made Hi Power, but it's not supposed to be, it's the L9A1 made after WWII. I guess SDS saw the popularity of the Springfield and Girsan pistols and decided to get into the act at a price point beating both of those.

The SDS/Tisas 1911's have been well received, especially the GI clone that I know you have, so figured I'd mention this for those who might be interested in a new shooter.

Info is still so sketchy that when I googled "SDS Inglis Hi Power", this post was the 8th listing that popped up.

Anyway, here's the best info I've found, he mentions the location in Turkey starting around 3:14.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm assuming these are made in Canada?

Turkey. The Turks bought the Inglis name.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thanks, Jim. I think I like the civilian market model better, with the Turkish walnut stocks and no lanyards loop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps they will have current improvements as the SA to utilize the latest JHP ammo and perhaps mag disconnect.

Browning left a void when they stopped production.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Damm... The Turks are killing it.

Sooo...That's far from an Inglis, and Inglis never made L9's that looked anything like that...Yet, I kinda want one. It would look SOOOO good sitting next to my Sterling MK6

The original L9's that were procured from Canada were re-worked pistols, some of which received new frames. The VAST majority of Inglis Hi Powers were manufactured with tangent sights. The ones that were sold to the Brits as L9's were guns that had the tangent sight milled off, a new section silver soldered in that held a raised dovetail that worked with the original front sight. The very last of the Inglis guns were assembled using WW2 slides that were post-Tangent design, with the raised dovetail just milled into the slide, on newly manufactured frames. Most were made up from parts bins.

By the time you got to an L9A1 that looked anything like this new one, Inglis had been out of the gun business for about 30 years. So the L9A1's in that configurations were typically made by FN, and even then, much of the parts were outsourced to Argentina.

Regardless, the L9A1 marking looks good, the overall configuration is right, and it very much looks like a late style Brit Hi Power...that's just cool. Not sure if they under, cut their front sight dovetail, or they accepted a batch of front sights that should have been rejected, but that front sight looks like arse.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 65BR
Perhaps they will have current improvements as the SA to utilize the latest JHP ammo and perhaps mag disconnect.

At the request of Browning, FN re-designed the Hi Power feed-ramp to the "flat style" around 1980. Most any post-1980 FN Hi Power's you'll find are not too picky about ammo at all. In fact, they tend to be dead nutz reliable.

Metallurgically however, newly manufactured Hi Power's have some steels, and manufacturing processes available to them today that were not available in 1935. So while I tell people to steer away from NATO pressure, or +P in an FN Hi Power (or copies from the same era), I tell people to blast away all you want with these new ones.

So yeah, they thought of that and addressed it.

On the subject of the magazine safety, the Turks opted in on the magazine safety. Keep in mind, there are still a LOT of military customers out there who would like to be able to buy parts for their old Hi Powers, so they stuck to a design that is parts interchangeable with the later style Hi Powers. Springfield chooses not to include a magazine safety in theirs, but they seem to be the only ones doing that at present.

I suspect the Turks are even getting orders for new Hi Powers from military customer in the Middle East and Africa, where the Hi Power has a bit of a cult following.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why am I not seeing the pin in the trigger for the mag disconnect? Anybody able to verify this?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 65BR

At the request of Browning, FN re-designed the Hi Power feed-ramp to the "flat style" around 1980. Most any post-1980 FN Hi Power's you'll find are not too picky about ammo at all. In fact, they tend to be dead nutz reliable.

Metallurgically however, newly manufactured Hi Power's have some steels, and manufacturing processes available to them today that were not available in 1935. So while I tell people to steer away from NATO pressure, or +P in an FN Hi Power (or copies from the same era), I tell people to blast away all you want with these new ones.

So yeah, they thought of that and addressed it.

On the subject of the magazine safety, the Turks opted in on the magazine safety. Keep in mind, there are still a LOT of military customers out there who would like to be able to buy parts for their old Hi Powers, so they stuck to a design that is parts interchangeable with the later style Hi Powers. Springfield chooses not to include a magazine safety in theirs, but they seem to be the only ones doing that at present.

I suspect the Turks are even getting orders for new Hi Powers from military customer in the Middle East and Africa, where the Hi Power has a bit of a cult following.

Nope, several of Girsan's Hi Powers do not have magazine disconnects. I own one that is free of that device.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Nope, several of Girsan's Hi Powers do not have magazine disconnects. I own one that is free of that device.
Oh that's just cool. Every Turkish HP I have seen thus far has had the magazine disconnect. SOOOO glad to see those are beginning to disappear. Damn, I just learned a thing...now I kinda want one ever more.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So it's not my lying eyes! laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,611
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.