Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a Ruger #1 with a 27 inch Brux barrel 257 Weatherby mag. yes i have the rubber thing on the rifle barrel .does it help probably not , but not really sure so i just left the rubber thing on the rifle barrel , this Ruger #1 shoots well so i figure just leave rubber thing on the barrel alone ?

Last edited by pete53; 03/30/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've achieved better precision with centerfire and rimfire single shot cast bullet target rifles after determining the nodal point (dead spot) on barrels and resting the barrel exactly at that spot. I've even gone so far as to attach a barrel sled precisely at that point to focus things rather than spread the load over a wider surface. I'm intrigued by the idea of a damper on a barrel to tame vibrations which can contribute to the "X factor" of bullet dispersion. (Calculate what a thousandth of an inch in barrel deflection equals to at 100 or 200 yards away from the muzzle.) Gotta try a donut (preferably a glazed rather than a cream filled).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Limbsaver is the manufacturer. It's called the "Sharpshooter X-ring barrel dampened. Comes in a regular and bull barrel sizes. $12 on their website. Says it dampens barrel whip and is a barrel deresonator. I love the Limbsaver recoil pads; I have my doubts about this product.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Those things are hideous and look like some weird marital aid gone wrong.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They work. Who cares about what it looks like it if works and you want the results.

I've said it many times. Guns are simply tools, at least for us. Yeah we play with looks and such. But in the end it really doesn't matter.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
roanmtn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I sure hope you are right about the Limbsaver working. Oh Well! This will be a good fun project even if it doesn't work. I'll wish myself luck and then we'll see what happens.

Glenn Campbell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just make sure you lube up the donut before you slide it on laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's what she said.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I bought a Ruger #1 in 7mm STW when it became available. It was a real problem child accuracy wise. The De-Resonator was tried.... unsuccessfully.

Not to say accuracy gains can not be made from barrel tuning. We know the Browning/Winchester BOSS produces positive results. And I cured my issues with this #! using a Hick's Accurizer. A device which uses a small screw to put adjustable pressure upwards against the midpoint of the barrel.

It turned a 3 inch rifle and load into a 3/4 inch rifle/load.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have one on a Remington mountain rifle with a fairly thin barrel profile. Took it from 1- 1.2 moa to ¾ moa.
To me or was worth it. Only gun i ever tried it on.
Been on there 15 years

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I mentioned earlier, the effectiveness of barrel "add-ons," whether rubber or muzzle tuners, also depends on other factors--including the amount of bore fouling, and how resistant the powder is to temperature.

Personally, I've had the most consistent results across a wide variety of "conditions" with fully-bedded barrels and temp-resistant powders. But I also live in the state with the widest range of recorded temperatures....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To me those deresonator things always reminded me of some weird French tickler for a Holstein .
I much prefer to find node points , bed, and build good ammo.
I have toyed with the idea of putting a tuner on one of my TR rifles to see if it will make a difference but so far have been able to resist the urge .
I see absolutely no need to stick anything of the sort on any of my hunting rifles!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by WAM
Those things are hideous and look like some weird marital aid gone wrong.
Exactly what I thought, and referenced previously. There’s no way I could put that idiotic thing on my rifle and risk the critters laughing at me.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Godogs57
There’s no way I could put that idiotic thing on my rifle and risk the critters laughing at me.

While that monster elk is laffin' its head off, it gives you extra time to make a good shot laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,244 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.