Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Damn AC wouldn’t come on last night. I figured it was the capacitor in the outside unit, but no, I turned it on this morning and it came on. It wasn’t blowing very hard, then quit blowing altogether. It was time for a new fan motor. That’s better than the coil being frozen. That means a Freon leak. I’ve changed the coil in that unit twice. The living area unit hasn’t missed a beat since they were installed in 98, but that bedroom unit hates me. A new motor was 100.00. It could have been a lot worse. I’m lucky I can do it myself.

It sure could have been a lot worse. Could have happened in July or August. Temps have been cool enough to hardly even need AC so far.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by slumlord
No Dance Hall time until the AC is fixed Mister

Dance hall hell! No Boom Boom!
Make dat ass clap
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Make dat ass clap

Need some KY so she doesn’t start smokin’

Get you some Hanco!

Jeebus you fellas.

Living vicariously. 😁

Hanco - I hope she makes it, that’s about the toughest thing a person can do.

Have a great weekend, I’ll be thinking about you whilst I’m under the house trenching out the old waste pipe.
crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
What is this AC?

That’s what I’m saying. Ain’t had even a window unit in seven (???) years, maybe more.

‘Course, I live alone…..

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Damn AC wouldn’t come on last night. I figured it was the capacitor in the outside unit, but no, I turned it on this morning and it came on. It wasn’t blowing very hard, then quit blowing altogether. It was time for a new fan motor. That’s better than the coil being frozen. That means a Freon leak. I’ve changed the coil in that unit twice. The living area unit hasn’t missed a beat since they were installed in 98, but that bedroom unit hates me. A new motor was 100.00. It could have been a lot worse. I’m lucky I can do it myself.

It sure could have been a lot worse. Could have happened in July or August. Temps have been cool enough to hardly even need AC so far.

Tell me about it. Last June or July my unit went down & repairman was going on vacation. I agreed to wait for him to order parts, let them ship & fix me up in a week to 10 days. For whatever reason, he hung me out to dry. I'd waited over 2 weeks on him before finally calling another company. Long story short, 8 weeks & about 7 grand later we had a new system. Luckily it wasn't a terrible season, hot enough but nothing like the worst of our summers. We were tested & it wasn't terrible come to think of it. Some fans helped with sleep & such.

I'd lived about the first 37 years of my life without A/C at home. But pretty happy to get it back.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gunzo

Tell me about it. Last June or July my unit went down & repairman was going on vacation. I agreed to wait for him to order parts, let them ship & fix me up in a week to 10 days. For whatever reason, he hung me out to dry. I'd waited over 2 weeks on him before finally calling another company. Long story short, 8 weeks & about 7 grand later we had a new system. Luckily it wasn't a terrible season, hot enough but nothing like the worst of our summers. We were tested & it wasn't terrible come to think of it. Some fans helped with sleep & such.

I'd lived about the first 37 years of my life without A/C at home. But pretty happy to get it back.

You got to have AC here to sleep at night

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gunzo

You got to have AC here to sleep at night
What are the night time temps right now? Do you have good ceiling ins? Attic well ventilated?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had to fix my upstairs unit last year, exact same problem as yours. Called several supply houses and they wouldn’t sell me a motor without a freon certification! WTF! One has nothing to do with the other. I ordered it from Grainger, in stock the next day. It lasted 18 years of pretty constant use so I wasn’t too upset. That rectangle box on the edge of the squirrel cage contains a capacitor for the motor. Mine was measured below spec so i changed it out also. I also took that opportunity to check all the capacitors both inside and out. I now have spares for all three zones, hope I don’t need them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hanco, my fan went down when the board tried to excite two speeds simultaneously. I was lucky enough to cook the board too. Grainger had my motor in stock, but the board wasn't. Mine went down when it was single digits.....so, I had to build a solder bridge on the board and get creative.

That was 3 years ago and I forgot about it till I saw this.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by high_country_
Hanco, my fan went down when the board tried to excite two speeds simultaneously. I was lucky enough to cook the board too. Grainger had my motor in stock, but the board wasn't. Mine went down when it was single digits.....so, I had to build a solder bridge on the board and get creative.

That was 3 years ago and I forgot about it till I saw this.

Had to change one of my circuit boards about two years ago. I built this house with two 3 1/2 ton units, I can and have slept in the living room when I’ve had an AC issue.

Last edited by hanco; 03/30/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jeebus man, was just kidding with the wife yesterday after waking up to 3" of really wet snow that before we know it well be breaking out the window A/C. Even mentioned that's only because we're old farts and think 85F is "hot" now.

How damn hot is it down there already that you're running A/C already?
It was 92 close to Banco a few weeks ago. It was 90s in December. It was 80s in November. It cooled in January. Its been 80s off and on Feb/ now... One reason I just don't care for TX much.

The thing is AC is mechanical. We should be happy that it was invented rather than complain when we have to fix it. But like everything things including parts just don't last long. Repairs are generally easy. Other than the compressor which takes a bit more work. I prefer not to have to do the compressor.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And we keep a window unit in the bedroom for when the unit goes out. Just clear the dirt dauber clods and turn it on until we can get the AC fixed. Never had a house big enough for 2 outside units. But a backup makes life easy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jeebus man, was just kidding with the wife yesterday after waking up to 3" of really wet snow that before we know it well be breaking out the window A/C. Even mentioned that's only because we're old farts and think 85F is "hot" now.

How damn hot is it down there already that you're running A/C already?

80 today, like it 70 at night. Been running AC off and on for two weeks.

Winter is just hanging on up this way.... mountain tops had snow last night around here.
Plenty of rain also.... the dope growers are happier than a pig is Scheiss tho.

People around here are freaking out unless the winters flood out the streams, and we get tons of snow dumped on the mountains. Its not the weather that bothers me, its the dope smoking hippies freaking out, that they want and need plenty of water to grow their dope. Then the other crowd, freaks out that the state will burn down over the summer.. instead of pushing for the forest service to do their damn jobs, instead of letting everything burn for 6 weeks each summer.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.