Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by Quak
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
How many slides have blown off a Sig so far??? That's what I thought...

You should do some research so you don’t sound so ignorant. The broken slides and cracked frames in beretta 92 AND sig p226 were caused by grossly over pressured ammo. Not by gun design.

The beretta was and is a fine pistol. The lockup design has seen extensive military use since 1938

What was the over pressured ammo that they used? In ‘86 we fired some ammo in our squadrons S&W 39s that seemed awfully hot, especially in an indoor range.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
GB4

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sig wha?

#rangetoys

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

The TRH is not going to like the term(s) "range toys"...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Heard how chitty they are so I bought two...Might not buy anymore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And I'm obviously not military.

So not quite sure why I'm posting on this thread.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Sig wha?

#rangetoys

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
And that's all they should remain. grin

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There might be a 19X in the pickup...

Lookout!

lol

Happy Easter.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got no skin in the game and only reported what a man I knew at the time that was present at the trials Ruger competed in. He told me it was the most reliable. They were late and didn't compete in the first two trials and some manufacturers boycotted the third. Beretta had won the first two and they went with it.
The P85 was originally developed as a replacement alternative for the U.S. Military's 1984 Joint Service Small Arms Program, a venture to replace the aging M1911A1 to a higher-capacity, NATO-compliant weapon. The P85 met all of the military's requirements, including a 20,000-round life expectancy. Despite this, the P85 was not completed in time for the first two trials. It was, however, able to compete in the later XM10 trials in 1988, for which Ruger supplied 30 P85s to the Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland. Despite performing well, the Beretta M9, which had succeeded at winning the previous two competitions, won once again and was awarded the contract.

The Ruger P85 did find success with some police departments and civilians, as its rugged design and military qualities did see it adopted by the San Diego Police Department and the Wisconsin State Patrol.[4] Both P85s and P89s were approved for carry by the Chicago Police Department. The P85 was also adopted by the Turkish National Police.[5] In 2004, the US Army awarded Ruger & Co., Inc. a contract for 5,000 KP95D pistols to be delivered to the Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, which issued them to Iraqi Army and Police units.[6][7]

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by Woodsman1991
How many slides have blown off a Sig so far??? That's what I thought...

You should do some research so you don’t sound so ignorant. The broken slides and cracked frames in beretta 92 AND sig p226 were caused by grossly over pressured ammo. Not by gun design.

The beretta was and is a fine pistol. The lockup design has seen extensive military use since 1938

What was the over pressured ammo that they used? In ‘86 we fired some ammo in our squadrons S&W 39s that seemed awfully hot, especially in an indoor range.

As I understand it, it was commercial powder charges in NATO brass resulting in pressures that were at or near proof loads…grossly exceeding even +p+ sub machine gun ammo.

Ruger never won a major military contract foreign or domestic and his pistols are a footnote in history.

Last edited by Quak; 03/31/24.

GOD Bless America
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Ruger ... pistols are a footnote in history.

Really? The Mark 1, the Blackhawk, the Single Six, the Bearcat?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Referring to the P series.

They are mall cop guns

Last edited by Quak; 03/31/24.

GOD Bless America
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i have my grandfathers 1911 Colt in 45ACP and after 3 wars (WW2, Korea and Vietnam), dad, uncle and now me, its still shoots good and accurately.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Wonder how many conversations sounded just like this when the M9 replaced the 1911.

All of them

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So much mis information here.

There was no political nonsense with the M9. Ruger was not undercut.

Here is the truth. The Beretta 92f and the Sig P226 were the only two guns that made it to phase two testing. Both passed with flying colors. Far more testing than our current sig completed btw.

With the sig and beretta both meeting all requirements it came down to a competitive bid where both guns were priced exactly the same. The beretta won based on the cost of replacement parts. End of story.

Reports of Beretta slide failures and sig frame cracking were caused by grossly over pressured ammunition being issued. Both guns experienced failures. Ammo exceeded proof pressures fwiw.

Beretta actually won a settlement from the govt due to the damage its reputation suffered due to issue caused by ammo. Sound familiar M16 guys?

The Ruger P85 failed in phase 1 testing. As did SW and FN and Colt offerings.

Later reliability issues were traced back to checkmate contract mags that used parkerized finishes that didn’t work well in the sand when oil or moisture was introduced. Checkmate fixed this issue and later magazines made by them were and are great.

The Beretta 92/M9 is a fantastic pistol with a proven track record all over the globe.

Please…refute any of these claims.

It’s amazing what a clown show the internet can be sometimes…
Good post ^^^
92 and P226 are both good pistols.
Fanboyism and butt soreness redlines in these "military contract" threads.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rainshot
Pre Desert Storm the Ruger beat the Beretta but they picked the Beretta because they needed Italian airspace to attack Kuwait.

Desert storm was years after the M9 was adopted

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
TFB TV report on the testing in the 1980s

I am a P226 fan

Last edited by BMT; 03/31/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meh..

Sig 320 is a fine pistol but the Glock 17 is also fine. I carry a Glock 20 cause of grizzly reasons but my Sig 320 is a great pistol.

The 92 was always a bad choice but pistols don't matter much on the battlefield.

For carry I would take the Sig 320/G17/G19/GWhatever#/S&W MP over the 92 all day and every day. But a 92 would sure beat throwing rocks.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Meh..

Sig 320 is a fine pistol but the Glock 17 is also fine. I carry a Glock 20 cause of grizzly reasons but my Sig 320 is a great pistol.

The 92 was always a bad choice but pistols don't matter much on the battlefield.

For carry I would take the Sig 320/G17/G19/GWhatever#/S&W MP over the 92 all day and every day. But a 92 would sure beat throwing rocks.

Johnny rehab. You admitted on here you never touched a firearm when you served as a gas pump attendant in the AF

It’s funny when try and discuss firearms having no background in the actual use

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ribka
Meh..

Johnny rehab. You admitted on here you never touched a firearm when you served as a gas pump attendant in the AF

'
Ribeka, GTFO of this thread and go play somewhere else.
You don't know anything about this.
Now scoot !

LOL

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Meh..

'
Now scoot !

LOL

You confused old boomer do you know what year it is?

I ve carried every day at work in the military and as a Leo 34 years and as a FIC I trained hundreds of military and Leo’s how to shoot And I’ve been to colt Sig and Glock amorer schools . I tested the sigs and glocks for feedback and taught FI classes at FLETC and Artesia and completed in the army

What do you and Johnny vodka bring to this thread?

Last edited by ribka; 03/31/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meh..

'
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
Now scoot !

LOL
You confused old boomer do you know what year it is?

I ve carried every day at work in the military and as a Leo 34 years and as a FIC I trained hundreds of military and Leo’s how to shoot And I’ve been to colt Sig and Glock amorer schools . I tested the sigs and glocks for feedback and taught FI classes at FLETC and Artesia and completed in the army

What do you and Johnny vodka bring to this thread?

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Now zip your flappin cock holster the big boys are talkin.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,159
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.