Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by drop_point
Originally Posted by rainshot
Pre Desert Storm the Ruger beat the Beretta but they picked the Beretta because they needed Italian airspace to attack Kuwait.

The M9 was selected long before Desert Storm.

THIS. The S HIT you read on these forums. The reason Beretta won is they were cheaper AND threw in a factory here in the US (Maryland) for manufacture. SIG now has a plant here in the US. I still say the P-226 would have been the way to go.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Pre Desert Storm the Ruger beat the Beretta but they picked the Beretta because they needed Italian airspace to attack Kuwait.

THIS. The S HIT you read on these forums. The reason Beretta won is they were cheaper AND threw in a factory here in the US (Maryland) for manufacture. SIG now has a plant here in the US. I still say the P-226 would have been the way to go.

I'm rather partial to the P226 as well.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

All military small arms are required to be built in the US. Sig, fn, and beretta all have plants here.

A us beretta plant had nothing to do with it. More mis information.

Beretta was the same price…replacement parts were cheaper. End of story…both pistols passed phase two testing.

Guys…this is public information. Don’t take my word for it.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ?? No CZ75 in the testing ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

It failed to meet program requirements.

Last edited by drop_point; 04/01/24.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Quak

All military small arms are required to be built in the US. Sig, fn, and beretta all have plants here.

Beretta was the same price…replacement parts were cheaper. End of story…both pistols passed phase two testing.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-d...fication-for-the-us-armys-newest-rifles/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quak

From the article. Yes, Beretta had a small factory here but agreed to obviously increase production, Sig (nor any of the other competitors or so it appears) had plants here:

The Winning Bid
Beretta held a distinct advantage over SIG when bidding was opened: It already had a fully functioning small arms factory operating in the United States. Despite this advantage,

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

It failed.

CZ did not submit a pistol for trials.

I love the CZ75. Of the wonder nines, my favorites in no particular order are the 92FS/M9, Sig P226, CZ75, Glock 17, and HK P8/USP. Hard to go wrong with any of them.

One could make an argument for the Glock 19 over the 17 but I feel the 19 grip is ever so slightly too short, and the shorter barrel leads to more muzzle flip over the 17. One of the funny things about the 19 is that it recently replaced the sig P226 for use by the Navy Seals. As I understand it, they were able to sneak it in without going through regular procurement channels because its was a "compact". Compact in name only LOL. Good gun regardless.

Army should have adopted the Glock...not the abortion Sig that has already had issues. A glock is the single most tested handgun in the world at this point imho.

GOD Bless America
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Should have gone and stuck with the P-226

+1
The 226 for general issue and the 228 for aircrew and plain clothes LE. The M9 is an overly large pistol.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This: Glock 17 was the obvious choice

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
Should have gone and stuck with the P-226

+1
The 226 for general issue and the 228 for aircrew and plain clothes LE. The M9 is an overly large pistol.
I had a West German marked P 228 throughout the 1980s and early '90s. Sorry I sold it, even if only due to the collector value it would demand today. I wasn't a huge fan, though, as a shooter, due to the high bore axis making the recoil impulse noticeable verses other designs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
Does anyone know if Glock sent an off the shelf pistol to be evaluated?

I CAN NOT find it anymore - but I distinctly remember a youtube discussion around the Glock vs Sig vs Beretta discussion. DOD wanted a manual thumb safety or decocker. Sig, sent their M17 with a thumb safety. Glock sent a bone stock G17 figuring "We're Glock, take it and like it".

I know you can have a safety installed on the Glock - just trying to see if I'm mis-remembering a youtube video I saw from years ago. So figured I'd ask - does anyone here know what Glock actually sent and if it actually met parameters that way?

No, Glock sent a manual safety version that later became the G19X.

The contract called for a modular grip design that fit both a "compact" and full-size role. Glock's way of meeting the solicitation was one gun where Sig offered two guns and the modular grip modules. CZ, FN, Beretta, and a few others also entered submissions.

Glock and Sig were the only two pistols to make it to the final rounds of the trial, either due to failure to meet requirements or because of performance. Both Glock and Sig met requirements, but Sig severely undercut Glock's price. The selection was made without completing the final round of testing as I understand it.

Don't see a manual safety on the G19X: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19x

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let's face it, most military personnel can't hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun, and that's from inside the barn.

Same solution that worked in the 1940's would work today, just re-issue the M1 carbine only chamber it in .357 Magnum Rimless (which is what it should have been back then anyway).

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Don't see a manual safety on the G19X: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19x

Did you miss "...that later became..."?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My favorite part is that it isn't modular in any way at all but they still roll marked it MHS. Takes balls.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wonder about the source of the butthurt when a military selects something other than a person's favorite firearm. Is it because the butthurt genuinely believe their choice is better, and wants troops to have the best? Or do the butthurt need the external validation?

I think the latter.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Let's face it, most military personnel can't hit the broad side of a barn with a handgun, and that's from inside the barn.

Same solution that worked in the 1940's should work today, just re-issue the M1 carbine only chamber it in .357 Magnum Rimless (which is what it should have been back then anyway).

I saw this first hand during my Navy time. Our unit had a pistol team which consistently won the admiral's cup and other awards in the area military competitions. The worst group we shot against was the Cubi Point Marine Separate Guard Company team. This is bullseye shooting we're talking about, with High Standard .22's and 1911's. When we got to the 50 yard events some of the Marines struggled to keep it on the paper.

Fast forward a. number of years, when my son was in the Navy on his Middle East deployments he was required to be armed up 24/7 and had a choice of sidearms he was allowed. He always stuck with the Beretta. Stateside, when doing personnel protective services he again had a choice of sidearms, but stayed with the Beretta. Being a pretty good sized young man he had no problem keeping it concealed under a suit coat.

All this gun gack talk about military/defensive handguns, stopping power, reliability, accuracy is all well and good, a lot of fun to talk about but pretty much meaningless in reality. How often are handguns ever really used in combat situations outside of movies and adventure novels? Let's face it, the primary purpose of a handgun in the military is as a security blanket for those whose jobs preclude their carrying a rifle or as a last ditch means for officers to enforce discipline.

Kinda puts me in mind of a guy I used to work with when asked why he carried a .32 automatic when deer hunting. His words, "In case I get charged by a bear and my rifle jams."

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
as a last ditch means for officers to enforce discipline.

How does that work?

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have shot a M92, Only two beefs with that gun, the grip is to big for my hand and the overall size of the weapon, Just seems overly large to me. Otherwise it works. Many of them went to war and were used under tough conditions. When pointed correctly, that gun killed bad people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 92 grip has always been too large for me as well. Never been a fan because of that.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (160user, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 20 invisible), 1,760 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,754
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.