Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
My 24 Hour Friends,

I received this incredible e-mail from one of our church friends this morning. I hope you enjoy it.

God Bless You All and Happy Easter.

Steve

In September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a History teacher at Valley Heights High School in Port Rowan, Ontario , did something not to be forgotten. On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent, the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks in her classroom. When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no desks. 'Ms. Cothren, where are our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to sit at a desk.'
They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.' 'No,' she said.
'Maybe it's our behaviour.' She told them, 'No, it's not even your behaviour.'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period. Still no desks in the classroom. Kids called their parents to tell them what was happening and by early afternoon television news crews had started gathering at the school to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the floor of the desk-less classroom. Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no one has been able to tell me just what he or she has done to earn the right to sit at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom. Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened it. Twenty-seven (27) Veterans, all in uniform, walked into that classroom, each one carrying a school desk. The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over and stand alongside the wall. By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did it for you. They placed the desks here for you. They went halfway around the world, giving up their education and interrupting their careers and families so you could have the freedom you have. Now, it's up to you to sit in them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story. And this teacher was awarded Veterans of Foreign Wars Teacher of the Year in 2006. She is the daughter of a WWII POW.

Do you think this is worth passing along so others won't forget either, that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by our Veterans?
I did.

Let us always remember the men and women of our military and the rights they have won for us.

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

GB4

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
More than two thumbs up if I had them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Cool story Steve!

Hope all is well...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Outstanding!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Story is apparently true and the teacher’s name is Martha Cochran. The location and high school are up for dispute. Seems to be more evidence that it was a high school in Arkansas.

I don’t understand the need people have to “personalize” a story like that by changing the location, etc.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a cool story. Not sure how it got twisted to Ontario. She was a US History teacher at Joseph T. Robinson High School in west Little Rock, AR. Won a state title in girls basketball in the 80s. For a long time she was the only female PA football announcer in AR. Was and still is a major piece of Veterans relations and the VFW in Central AR. I student taught under her in the spring of 2005 before this happened that fall. Being a vet she made me feel like gold every day. Retired a few years ago. Her full time job now (voluntarily) is with the VFW in Central AR. Phenomenal teacher but she’s an Arkansan. Coach Cothren is a gem for sure!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
👍👍👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great story. Thanks, made my day.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Great post and info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang allergies!
Thanks for posting! This should attack everybody’s allergies!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smilin' here boss!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very very cool, thanks for posting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A great story that made my eyes sweat. Philgood80, thank you for filling in the blanks and verifying the story.

And thanks for wearing the uniform of our country.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Two thumbs up Steve and Ima gonna steal Wabbi's thumbs too so it's four thumbs up from me!!

Good to see you posting Steve.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Outstanding!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
How easy it is to forget and take for granted.

Good stuff Dogzapper.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
a great story, brother Steve, and what a treat to see you posting.

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Great story Steve. Good to hear from you. May God Bless and hope you have a great Easter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 62 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,408 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,938
Posts18,480,042
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.