Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB4

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ralph,
GMorning,

Do you think we could plead with the government to somehow implement a Global Warming Tax and use the $$$$ to save the world?

Maybe Hank Johnson can lead the way ...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a person reads that post from the space negro and still isn't convinced he is an end to end fabrication by the (((media))), they should hit themselves between the eyes with a claw end of a hammer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Stickfight
If a person reads that post from the space negro and still isn't convinced he is an end to end fabrication by the (((media))), they should hit themselves between the eyes with a claw end of a hammer.

I thought NewsWeek was 101% honest?

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
And the commies keep buying 12-15 million dollar seaside homes.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, the guy who rags on people about the MSM subscribes to Newsweek.

"UFR"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've found seashells on top of mountains more than 8000' high. Damn this global warming.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image from img.4plebs.org]

GR

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've found seashells on top of mountains more than 8000' high. Damn this global warming.

Yep, and I've got one fossilized in shale that came from 10,550' deep in the ground.

Your life is made up of two dates and a dash, Make the most of the dash.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Brokenarrow

Yep, and I've got one fossilized in shale that came from 10,550' deep in the ground.

That is pretty cool.

Was it from a mine or drilling? Location?

Thanks in advance.

IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of the worlds oceans are a continuous body of water. It is impossible to raise the level of the ocean at FL without also raising the level of every coastline of the planet. Nobody ever points that out.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MAC
All of the worlds oceans are a continuous body of water. It is impossible to raise the level of the ocean at FL without also raising the level of every coastline of the planet. Nobody ever points that out.
Probably because it doesn’t quite work that way.

β€œAre sea levels rising the same all over the world, as if we're filling a giant bathtub?

No. Sea level rise is uneven, the two main reasons being ocean dynamics and Earth’s uneven gravity field.

First, ocean dynamics is the redistribution of mass due to currents driven by wind, heating, evaporation and precipitation. For example, during La NiΓ±a events, sea level goes down because some rain that usually occurs over the ocean shifts to land, and the same phenomenon produces low latitude currents that redistribute seawater. Regional climate cycles, like El NiΓ±o and La NiΓ±a, and longer-term effects, like the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, change ocean circulation, which changes sea level.

Second, because the distribution of Earth’s mass is uneven, Earth’s gravity is also uneven. Therefore, the ocean’s surface isn’t actually a perfect sphere or ellipsoid; it is a bumpy surface. As the land-based ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica continue to unload their mass (lose ice) from far above sea level and far from the tropics, that mass reaches the sea in the form of meltwater that is then redistributed along Earth’s gravity field.

The areas farthest from the melted ice will see the most sea level rise as a result. Conversely, areas nearest to Greenland and Antarctica will see the least amount of sea level rise (and some areas will actually see sea levels drop). Scientists even track the annual cycle of ice sheet mass losses to further refine their sea level rise measurements.

Between 1993 and 2018, sea level rose 12 to 15 millimeters per year (about half an inch per year) in some regions, and went down by that amount in others. But on average, it has gone up by about 3 millimeters per year (about 28 millimeters, or 1-1/8 inches, per decade) in that same period. Most of this unevenness is caused by ocean dynamics.”

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/faq/9/are-sea-levels-rising-the-same-all-over-the-world-as-if-were-filling-a-giant-bathtub/#:~:text=Level%20Change%20Portal-,Are%20sea%20levels%20rising%20the%20same%20all%20over%20the%20world,and%20Earth's%20uneven%20gravity%20field.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John Kerry will be at room temp in less that 25 years.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If their that dumb a claw hammer ain't gonna do it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labΓ© skΓ½la

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have not seen an estimate of the volume of water in the ice sheets which are on land. Keep in mind, the ice sheets on water don't count (put an ice cube in a glass of water; measure how much the level rises when the ice melts). In essence, we have Antarctica, Greenland, northern Russia, some of Scandinavia. A lot of water, to be sure, but not as much as we might want to believe.
There have been periods, in the past, where there were no ice caps. During such periods. the climate was warmer and more moist. The Sahara was green. So, it might be, losses along the coasts (How much of a loss are Miami, LA, Long Island, etc.) will be counterbalanced by gains in desert areas. Maybe Lake Mead will fill up! Climate variations happen. Human activity is probably contributory but, even without it, the climate will fluctuate. Probably, the best thing we could have done, to reduce our impact on the planet, was to decide to quit breeding like rats about 75 years ago. That did not happen though, so here we are. GD

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Being room temperature would make the Genius Crew smarter.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by greydog
I have not seen an estimate of the volume of water in the ice sheets which are on land. Keep in mind, the ice sheets on water don't count (put an ice cube in a glass of water; measure how much the level rises when the ice melts). In essence, we have Antarctica, Greenland, northern Russia, some of Scandinavia. A lot of water, to be sure, but not as much as we might want to believe.
There have been periods, in the past, where there were no ice caps. During such periods. the climate was warmer and more moist. The Sahara was green. So, it might be, losses along the coasts (How much of a loss are Miami, LA, Long Island, etc.) will be counterbalanced by gains in desert areas. Maybe Lake Mead will fill up! Climate variations happen. Human activity is probably contributory but, even without it, the climate will fluctuate. Probably, the best thing we could have done, to reduce our impact on the planet, was to decide to quit breeding like rats about 75 years ago. That did not happen though, so here we are. GD

We could make Covid-19 jabs mandatory. Oh, they tried that.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/01/24.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am pretty sure that the Northern parts of North America and Eurasia are still rising from the melting of the ice sheets that covered them.... Because they are floating in a fluid with a far greater density than that of water which brings me to my point. Just like the carbon dioxide and sulphur spewed by volcanos, the magma pumped out by the mid ocean trenches has a far greater effect on the capacity of the ocean basins than melting glaciers does on the volume filling it. And in any case if he the atmosphere warms up that will just cause water to evaporate faster.

Of course the oceans are not really basins. Rather the continents are giant ancient volcanic islands that have been pushed around by the mid ocean trenches for eons.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 04/01/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by MAC

β€œAre sea levels rising the same all over the world, as if we're filling a giant bathtub?

No. Sea level rise is uneven, the two main reasons being ocean dynamics and Earth’s uneven gravity field.

First, ocean dynamics is the redistribution of mass due to currents driven by wind, heating, evaporation and precipitation. For example, during La NiΓ±a events, sea level goes down because some rain that usually occurs over the ocean shifts to land, and the same phenomenon produces low latitude currents that redistribute seawater. Regional climate cycles, like El NiΓ±o and La NiΓ±a, and longer-term effects, like the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, change ocean circulation, which changes sea level.

Second, because the distribution of Earth’s mass is uneven, Earth’s gravity is also uneven. Therefore, the ocean’s surface isn’t actually a perfect sphere or ellipsoid; it is a bumpy surface. As the land-based ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica continue to unload their mass (lose ice) from far above sea level and far from the tropics, that mass reaches the sea in the form of meltwater that is then redistributed along Earth’s gravity field.

The areas farthest from the melted ice will see the most sea level rise as a result. Conversely, areas nearest to Greenland and Antarctica will see the least amount of sea level rise (and some areas will actually see sea levels drop). Scientists even track the annual cycle of ice sheet mass losses to further refine their sea level rise measurements.

Between 1993 and 2018, sea level rose 12 to 15 millimeters per year (about half an inch per year) in some regions, and went down by that amount in others. But on average, it has gone up by about 3 millimeters per year (about 28 millimeters, or 1-1/8 inches, per decade) in that same period. Most of this unevenness is caused by ocean dynamics.”

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/faq/9/are-sea-levels-rising-the-same-all-over-the-world-as-if-were-filling-a-giant-bathtub/#:~:text=Level%20Change%20Portal-,Are%20sea%20levels%20rising%20the%20same%20all%20over%20the%20world,and%20Earth's%20uneven%20gravity%20field.

BS. Any large increase of water into the ocean will spread equally across the body of water. And factors already impacting it, like gravity or the moon, will continue to do so. Water will not just pile up in certain areas. Ever notice they raise the alarm over places like FL but never a desolate place like the Skeleton Coast of Namibia?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Jcubed

That is pretty cool.

Thanks in advance.

Core sample from a drilling operation in Beckham County Oklahoma.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That is pretty cool.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I would love to take a look at that fossil. Pretty unique.

Have a great day.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Nobody but the sheep listen to these people any more.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Coastal countries need to support growing more ocean sponges to counter act perceived sea level rise.

Last edited by Epishemore; 04/01/24.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
It's called tide.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

"UFR"
No kidding!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

"UFR"
No kidding!

Jagball gotta make that post quota to get that check !
Seems the warewoofs are quiet now, FSK bridge interrupted Adrenachrome shipments, and someone else was given the P. Diddy story,
Jagball still gotta collect that check, putting up something...... Gov't handler approved.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MAC

Yawn, those irregularities exist now. You saying that an 8' rise in sea level wouldn't be noticed around the world is, well, bullshiet. You will get a corresponding rise everywhere because those irregularities are already inherent to the current ocean surface. While we're at it, crustal rebound is still occurring in places like Michigan where the ice sheets were once a mile think. It's not just the ocean surfaces that are moving.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MAC

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Henry Winkler?

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MAC

There is no way a grown man of even average intelligence could entertain the thought of believing this horsechit.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by MAC

Yawn, those irregularities exist now. You saying that an 8' rise in sea level wouldn't be noticed around the world is, well, bullshiet. You will get a corresponding rise everywhere because those irregularities are already inherent to the current ocean surface. While we're at it, crustal rebound is still occurring in places like Michigan where the ice sheets were once a mile think. It's not just the ocean surfaces that are moving.
I am not saying it would not be noticed; but that the rise will not be equally distributed. The irregularities you note which are already inherent will impact the new volume of distribution more in some areas than others. It’s a hugely complex system.

R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[/quote]
Being room temperature would make the Genius Crew smarter.[/quote]

"UFR"

This ☝️

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For what it is worth a few years ago for my NJROTC class which covers basic oceanography we looked at this sort of this. I don't have the figures in front of me but if you take the trillions of square meters of the surface of the ocean and then add the estimated volume of water trapped in the icecaps above the water level as well as the water trapped in all the major glaciers it will raise the level of the ocean surface slightly more than 1/4 of an inch. The rise is really that small. So, it isn't the rising of sea level that would have a big impact but the decrease in the salinity level of the ocean could be ecologically damaging to many species while being beneficial to many as well.

But you never hear the enviro morons talk about that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
If ice ON LAND melts and runs into the ocean it will have 'some' effect.

Ice that is floating on the ocean and melts will not raise the level...

What no one mentions is the Thermal Expansion of Water.........

How much of the purported 'rise' in sea level is due to simple warming expansion of the water and not ice melt runoff???

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Another question:

How much of the sea level rise is due to ships at sea???? floating objects 'displace' water..... HINT!!!

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:97.9/centery:61.8/zoom:2

Last edited by Muffin; 04/01/24.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
John Kerry will be at room temp in less that 25 years.

Decades overdue.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
And the commies keep buying 12-15 million dollar seaside homes.

That's all that needs to be said to destroy their claims.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Martha's Vineyard is some of the highest priced residential land in the country and most of it is within a few feet of sea level.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Being room temperature would make the Genius Crew smarter.

The genius crew could be room temperature and still smarter than you. If you don't believe me, check your Newsweek subscription.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

That is pretty cool.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the reply. I would love to take a look at that fossil. Pretty unique.

Have a great day.

It's not real clear in the picture, shows up better in person. I showed it to my Geologist, he took a closer look and confirmed that it was a prehistoric shell of some kind.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That is pretty cool.

Thanks in advance.

Have a great day.

It's not real clear in the picture, shows up better in person. I showed it to my Geologist, he took a closer look and confirmed that it was a prehistoric shell of some kind.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Too cool! Thank you for the picture, it is clear as dayn

Quite the specimen you have there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MAC
For what it is worth a few years ago for my NJROTC class which covers basic oceanography we looked at this sort of this. I don't have the figures in front of me but if you take the trillions of square meters of the surface of the ocean and then add the estimated volume of water trapped in the icecaps above the water level as well as the water trapped in all the major glaciers it will raise the level of the ocean surface slightly more than 1/4 of an inch. The rise is really that small. So, it isn't the rising of sea level that would have a big impact but the decrease in the salinity level of the ocean could be ecologically damaging to many species while being beneficial to many as well.

Given that in most general construction 1/8" is "close enough" how precise are the measure nets of a moving surface that flows in and out of the beach sands?
It is the perfect environment for "finding what you want to find". Biased data collection.....but the Left would never do that....

-OMotS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MAC

That salinity is a big problem with desalinating sea water. The brine is highly concentrated salt. You can't just dump it back in the ocean without killing everything around. To safely dump it back requires spreading it around over many square miles.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MAC

That salinity is a big problem with desalinating sea water. The brine is highly concentrated salt. You can't just dump it back in the ocean without killing everything around. To safely dump it back requires spreading it around over many square miles.

I have always wondered why they don't just produce sea salt from the concentrated brine. I'm sure is has to do with pollutants etc...but if just seawater, big evaporation ponds...evaporate h20 out of the brine, harvest salt, repeat.

Would take a lot of land though.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
All good points, and we can argue on and on as to the man’s effects on so called global warming. BUT what we must concern ourselves with is the true motivation behind this false narative, that being CONTROL. Control of the worlds entire activities as laid out in the world economic Council’s GREAT RESET. The evil cabal behind this draconian plan has no concern for the environment , their aims are to create a one world unelected government that dictate every function of human activity, meaning you and I, the commoners will own nothing , have NO freedoms , and bend to the ruling class demands . A modern day SERFDOM, much like the dark ages. Everyone needs to get a copy of the great reset and share it with your friends and family, can be obtained from the John Birch Society and other freedom loving conservative organizations

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have always wondered why they don't just produce sea salt from the concentrated brine. I'm sure is has to do with pollutants etc...but if just seawater, big evaporation ponds...evaporate h20 out of the brine, harvest salt, repeat.

I have fished bones in just such a β€œpond.”

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I have fished bones in just such a β€œpond.”

I'm thinking the volume of water processed may be the issue.

Idk.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,065
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.