Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Here it is, 2024 and the WLR primers are the same old undersized garbage.

Lot# ULL840G.

Obviously a micrometer would be the best tool for measurement, but it's enough of a difference to FEEL with a hand priming tool and to see when checking with calipers. WLR primers seat with very little pressure. Seating the CCI primers, it's a tight fit.

The WLR primers measure .210".

For reference, the CCI BR2 primers measured .211"

Was working up a 325 grain norma oryx load and all was well at 55-58 grains of N150. Probably all of 50,000 psi. As I worked up to 62 grains, you could see the gas leakage on the case head, and see slight flame-cutting damage on the bolt face.

No such issues with the tighter fitting CCI primers, even at same 62 grains of powder.

Everything extracted like butter. 2300 fps @ 62 grains of N150.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
No surprise. I bought 200 of their 64 grain bullets and they fell right thru the neck of the brass when I went to seat them

Last edited by mjbgalt; 04/04/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What'd Winchester say?

I had the issue 10-15 years ago, sent in bad primers and I think I may have gotten a check.

Too many other primers out there to deal with them. I still have a good bit of their silver colored primers but no thanks on their gold primers.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/04/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
10 gauge, I won't even bother dealing with winchester. Gave them a shot, they were the only available primers locally and I'm darn-near out of primers.

Just hoping to save anyone from considering these. They might be ok in something like a 30-30 winchester.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just happened to me today on my like new Kimber Mountain Ascent. My bolt face is scarred as well. I called Olin to see if they will do anything. Waiting on a call back.

In the meantime, I'll be pulling bullets and popping those primers out.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by longshot3
Just happened to me today on my like new Kimber Mountain Ascent. My bolt face is scarred as well. I called Olin to see if they will do anything. Waiting on a call back.

Yours are much older primers. The ones that we all knew had issues. The OP's is new manufacture. This is good info, but I don't know how .001" would make any difference. My girlfriend bought me 3 bricks a while back, but I have not even opened them yet. We shall see..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
10 gauge, I won't even bother dealing with winchester. Gave them a shot, they were the only available primers locally and I'm darn-near out of primers.

Just hoping to save anyone from considering these. They might be ok in something like a 30-30 winchester.
I would want my $$ back at least.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Geeze longshot, these shortages are awful. We shooters are mixing and matching sht we'd never buy under normal circumstances.

Kinda desperate, there is nothing available for primers. So trying something new here:

I just did up a batch of WLR primed brass using loctite klean n prime and loctite 680 retaining compound. With a q tip, I used the cleaner to swab the primer pocket then a thin film of 680 only on the sides of the primer pockets. Using a decapping tool it took alot more pressure to pop out the WLR primers sealed in place with 680. Inspecting the primers, the thin layer of 680 stayed on the primer pocket and never congregated near the primer compound.

Loctite 680 is a retaining compound designed for cylindrical interfaces where machining tolerances might be loose. It's saved the fkn day before:

Used on a ported chainsaw where the flywheel would spin loose above 13,000 rpms. Torqued the flywheel on the taper shaft using 680, never fkn came loose again. I cleaned the flywheel with Klein n prime, and just a dab of the loctite 680 on the tapered crankshaft, it ain't ever coming off.

Another time, rebuilt my high-pressure oil pump in the 7.3 powerstroke. A year later, the high pressure oil line fitting loosened up. These fittings are under thousands of lbs of oil pressure. Loctite 680 is required on the fittings. Never spun lose again.

I'll shoot a batch of ammo with these loctite 680-sealed WLR primers and report back tomorrow. I'll stay at 58 grains of powder, even if I'm sacrificing 100 fps. Wait one........

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'll be checking back in for sure. I hope it works!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This is good info, but I don't know how .001" would make any difference.

I too am a bit surprised that .001" matters as much as it does. So here goes: when our handloads are pushing beyond 50,000 psi here's the difference:

Would you want a WLR primer that starts seating at a mere 3.5-4 lbs of pressure on the lever of a hand priming tool?

Or a CCI primer that takes 7.75-8 lbs of pressure on the hand priming tool?

Like I said, I could feel the difference and see the difference on my fkn bolt face.

WLR:

CCI:

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Damn I wish this came up a few weeks ago. I thought I was lucky finding the 1000 I bought. I never used them before. Does factory Winchester loads do this?

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
OK, kinda hard to measure:

With a decapping die in the press, the WLR primer took 2.5 lbs of pressure on the press handle to remove the primer from a new brass case.

The CCI BR2 primer took 8 lbs of pressure on the press handle to remove primer from the new brass case.

The WLR sealed in loctite 680 took 4.5lbs of pressure on the press handle to remove the primer from a new brass case.

This was after only 1 hr of cure time. I'll decap a few more after they cure over night and measure how much pressure it takes to remove the WLR primers.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/04/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

This is good info, but I don't know how .001" would make any difference.

I too am a bit surprised that .001" matters as much as it does. So here goes: when our handloads are pushing beyond 50,000 psi here's the difference:

Would you want a WLR primer that starts seating at a mere 3.5-4 lbs of pressure on the lever of a hand priming tool?

Or a CCI primer that takes 7.75-8 lbs of pressure on the hand priming tool?

Like I said, I could feel the difference and see the difference on my fkn bolt face.

WLR:

CCI:

Yeah, that sucks man. I have always used CCI primers. But like a lot of you guys, my stock was getting a little low (3,000 of each type), because we shoot a lot!!! I ended up buying some CCI 34's, so I can use those in my AR10 6.5 Creedmoor, and then my girlfriend must have herd me grumbling about the price ($67.00 at the time with a 15% off sale at Scheels last year), so she bought me 3 bricks of these WLR's for $74.99/brick. I used to load WLR's in my buddies stuff. Hell, I even kept the CCI 200's I found for $1/100 (bought 2 bricks of those for $20 a few years ago at a gunshow), and use those at times. Those are 70's manufacture. Getting down to a few thousand of each kind of primer is cause for concern for guys like us that shoot. I hate to say it, but I've even backed off on how many rounds I send downrange. Been shooting 22lr more as well. I'll burn up 400 of those each range trip, if I'm not careful... Same goes for 223 rem, when I'm shooting my AR's..

I may not dip into these WLR's, and just use the CCI's I have on hand. Maybe sell the WLR's off to someone that really needs them???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=mainer_in_ak]10 gauge, I won't even bother dealing with winchester. Gave them a shot, they were the only available primers locally and I'm darn-near out of primers.

Just hoping to save anyone from considering these. They might be ok in something like a 30-30 winchester.[/quote

Mainer,
Give me a call when coming to town. I can help you with enough good primers to get through hunting season.

V8n

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 5000 older WLR and the same of WLRM, loaded some 250 TTSX with them last night. They were right tight.
I typically find Rem 9 ½ to be the smallest of all primers

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks vern, I'll take you up on the offer. I'm gonna save these primers for 308 winchester target ammo.

This morning I've been looking at the tech data sheets for common primer sealants. Most are a modified arcrylic ester. Well that's the same darn thing as this here loctite 680.

These WLR primers will work, if a handloader is willing to seal them. Your token "gun writer" on here claimed there's no reason to seal primers. In this instant, I call bllsht on that........

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/05/24.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
BSA, no bud don't get rid of them or sell them. Measure them first and test 1 primer per 100 count sleeve in some brass.

If you're willing to seal them, they'll work great. Have a decapping die set up. Because no joke, every so often an occasional WLR primers is especially loose fitting. We're talking like 1-2 lbs of pressure on the hand priming lever!

Save the especially loose primer after decapping an make sure to measure it, to see if it was even smaller than .210. Measure the primer pocket of that specific brass case as well.

I'm in no position to give up on these WLR primers. They're all thats available.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 04/05/24.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you actively search for things to complain about? If it's that big of a deal, switch primers or use a gun that uses other primers or shoot factory ammo. Worrying about sealing primers is retarded.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm just amazed you found LR primers. I haven't seen them but once in 4 years.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Do you actively search for things to complain about? If it's that big of a deal, switch primers or use a gun that uses other primers or shoot factory ammo. Worrying about sealing primers is retarded.

Nope, but let's be honest here, in the gun world there sure is alot of narrow minded garbage written as fact, when it's really just opinion.

I'm gonna seal 1000 of these primers in target ammo. No skin off my back.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.