Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I'll just stick to riding Harley Davidsons, thanks.
Yeah, me too.. I had a couple fast bikes 30 years ago or so.. They were 'ok', but nothing anyone would wanna ride more than a hundred miles unless they had a water bottle and a handful if aspirin.. At my age - comfort is king and I can (and have) ridden nearly 1000 miles in one day on my '14 HDUC.....

Nobody's gonna do that on a KR650 unless yer azz has been replaced with titanium.. laugh laugh

Side note (re: a poster above).....at the HD dealership Friday there was a bike on the floor (don't know who made it) that would have required the legs of an NBA Center to even get NEAR the pavement.. I swear that seat was nearly up to my armpits! And the distance from the top of the rear tire to the fender hadda be measured in FEET... It looked to be so uncomfortable that riding on a lumber wagon over boulders woulda been a solid improvement.. eek

1K a day, that's the last thing I would want to do on a bike. Pounding down the pavement on the freeway with fences on both sides.

May as well sit in a car or get in the big tube and get it done.

Just my opinion about riding, each to his ownus.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I had no idea you raced motorcycles at one time Bart, tho I ain’t surprised to hear it.
Yeah... I raced motocross, supercross, flat track, and Formula-2 road racing. I could blister a set of slicks as fast
as anyone on two wheels when I first started riding on road tracks. Been around Laguna Seca and abuncha cities
that hosted supercross events. Made a little money... Got in trouble with the IRS... Chased a few Pit-Bunnies...

Back "when playboys ruled the world".

"Im a man in hurry", only film quote I can remember!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
I've owned a couple in the past, I just wish they could shave a hundred pounds off them.

Then you'd end up with an XR650L

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
cool bike, I almost caved and canceled my order on my tenere 700, glad I didn't the t7 has almost double the power for a bike in the same class essentially. I rode a DR 650 for quite a few years which is pretty close in power to a KLR, holding out for alot more power was worth it. in the last couple years there are even better bikes out that are in the same class as the t7, the honda transalp looks really cool with even more power to boot. the nordan 901 has over 100 horse, that autta rip pretty darn good.

Power is largely overrated. What do you do with the extra power an T7 has over a KLR?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Congrats! Did you get the base model or one with some luggage on it?

The base, the short “S” version. I wasn’t too impressed with the relatively small hard luggage on the “Adventure” version and in one online road test one pannier along with the additional “fog lamps” on a light bar both broke when the bike was dropped hard off-road, not a surprise if you’ve seen the bike.

I’m all about soft luggage for that reason, I can’t believe I tossed out my old soft luggage and jacket a couple of years back, figuring my motorcycle days were over. Fortunately, I still have the helmet.

The “Adventure” model does come with an engine guard/crash bars they call a slider”, a $300 accessory on the base. Seems like a worthwhile add on.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Congrats! Did you get the base model or one with some luggage on it?

The base, the short “S” version. I wasn’t too impressed with the relatively small hard luggage on the “Adventure” version and in one online road test one pannier along with the additional “fog lamps” on a light bar both broke when the bike was dropped hard off-road, not a surprise if you’ve seen the bike.

I’m all about soft luggage for that reason, I can’t believe I tossed out my old soft luggage and jacket a couple of years back, figuring my motorcycle days were over. Fortunately, I still have the helmet.

The “Adventure” model does come with an engine guard/crash bars they call a slider”, a $300 accessory on the base. Seems like a worthwhile add on.

I know you'll enjoy it. It's a great way to satisfy wanderlust. KLRs truly are the Swiss Army Knives of motorcycles.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I'll just stick to riding Harley Davidsons, thanks.

Harleys are traveling works of art, a genuine slice of America.

At the prices I was willing to pay though I was looking at used. My favorite thing on a motorcycle, besides the passenger, was to load up with camping gear and head out for distant horizons, prob’ly happen again with this one.

Ya I know Harleys can last high mileage with proper maintenance, that being an unknown with used.

All of the six Sportsters I looked at had an aftermarket (ie loud) “look-at-me”exhaust pipes on it. Five were the “Custom” version with the low cornering clearance and that sciatica-inducing (feet way forward) riding position.

One guy had switched out the original handgrips for chromed metal ones grin Like I’d really want slippery metal grips on a bike, hard to hang on to even when dry 🥴

Ya, I know there’s great Harleys out there, just not within my present budget/mission statement..

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
cool bike, I almost caved and canceled my order on my tenere 700, glad I didn't the t7 has almost double the power for a bike in the same class essentially. I rode a DR 650 for quite a few years which is pretty close in power to a KLR, holding out for alot more power was worth it. in the last couple years there are even better bikes out that are in the same class as the t7, the honda transalp looks really cool with even more power to boot. the nordan 901 has over 100 horse, that autta rip pretty darn good.

Power is largely overrated. What do you do with the extra power an T7 has over a KLR?

I put 55,000 trouble free miles on my ‘92 KLR. I did appreciate the fact that the motor was under stressed with a relatively modest power output. OTOH the broad flat powerband the Kawasaki engineers had tweaked out of that single four valve 650cc cylinder was impressive.

You could just thump along quietly on a dirt or backroad with a passenger on a nice day, torque available at the twist of a wrist, or run all day at 80 on the Interstate.

Most fun of all though was dogging sport bikes on tight, winding roads. My previous 750 Ninja was better than me most everywhere, whereas on the KLR with just 30 rear wheel horses, you had to pick your lines, shifts and braking points just right, didn’t need to watch the tach the thumper told you what you needed to know.

I think this aspect accounts for the popularity of the “Motos”; modest displacement dirt bikes set up with sport bike tires.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The KLR finally arrived.

Mid-life crisis purchase.

Hadn’t thrown a leg over a motorcycle in 14 years.

Turns out I still remember how it’s done.

200 mile trip from the dealer today, the manual said not to take it over 60mph for the first 150 miles, I wanted to get that over with ASAP, after that not to exceed 88mph for the first 500. Not exceeding 88mph generally ain’t a problem for a KLR grin tho it can get there if you’re patient. Useful acceleration Peter’s out at about 85.

This is peak migration weekend so I was gonna ride it to the coast and birdwatch, spend the night down there on the beach/give Rog a call, birdwatch Sunday then ride home up I 37 by dark.

But… it was sustained 20mph S winds gusting to 30+ from the Gulf of Mexico, forecast to continue overnight into tomorrow. Perfect for migrating birds, even a warbler can hit 40-50 in those conditions. Sucks for birders tho, the birds don’t stop at the coast they keep on trucking inland. Not much fun to ride a motorcycle in either.

So…. 102 miles from the dealership to Presidio La Bahia, Goliad, change of plans, then 120 miles back to my driveway, the last 70 miles of which were more entertaining.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A dealer here has some crazy good prices on leftovers.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A rider can’t consider himself a hard core biker unless he owned at least one KLR in his lifetime.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 007FJ
KTM Adventure in whatever cc Variant that suits you is my preference in that category.

KLR gets it done but will drain your bank account with mods to make it like you want it. The only Thumper that I’ve ever owned that wouldn’t wheelie without the clutch.

KTM might need a seat improvement depending on your rear end and usage but not much else.

I’m not against the big K, just too utilitarian. Honda XR650R with a starter and a heavier duty rear frame for accessories was the bike that I wanted for the longest until I bought a KTM 950 Adv.

Right now without any two wheelers though, a KLR would be a welcome friend.

I have a 390 Adventure. Enough engine for me and very nimble. 70 mpg is a nice side benefit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks good Mike. Congratulations and hope you enjoy it !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
A rider can’t consider himself a hard core biker unless he owned at least one KLR in his lifetime.

I cannot tell if you’re serious, but I still ain’t full-filled my Harley obligation.

One thing different from decades back, in this brief 200 mile sample, Harley riders too were freely extending the motorcycle wave; left arm extended down at angle,

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The ''break-in'' period is hawg-worsh- the corporations main concern is $dollars$ .
Watch/read motoman engine break-in- if the info is still there- two brothers bought CBR 600 Honda's . And agreed to the break-in experiment- one went by the factory recommendations the other ran his bike up to 3/4 throttle after a couple of miles. Motoman & crew took both engines apart at 5-600 miles. Factory break-in procedure bike internals were loaded with black carbon, piston/head/cylinder ect. other bike clean and shiny and faster . Proven many times that getting the rings seated quickly is very important.
Anyway- that's a great looking bike Mike- a perfect mid-size Adv-Bike- proven and affordable.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from ]

I recognize those side gates! smile

You are right about the damned wind. It's been like for awhile now....I'm ready for a lot less wind, and lot more rain.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The KLR finally arrived.

200 mile trip from the dealer today, the manual said not to take it over 60mph for the first 150 miles, I wanted to get that over with ASAP, after that not to exceed 88mph for the first 500. Not exceeding 88mph generally ain’t a problem for a KLR grin tho it can get there if you’re patient. Useful acceleration Peter’s out at about 85.

This is peak migration weekend so I was gonna ride it to the coast and birdwatch, spend the night down there on the beach/give Rog a call, birdwatch Sunday then ride home up I 37 by dark.

But… it was sustained 20mph S winds gusting to 30+ from the Gulf of Mexico, forecast to continue overnight into tomorrow. Perfect for migrating birds, even a warbler can hit 40-50 in those conditions. Sucks for birders tho, the birds don’t stop at the coast they keep on trucking inland. Not much fun to ride a motorcycle in either.

So…. 102 miles from the dealership to Presidio La Bahia, Goliad, change of plans, then 120 miles back to my driveway, the last 70 miles of which were more entertaining.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
My local Kawasaki dealer has a bright red 650s setting on the show room floor. The color even matches my new Chevy pickup. Getting the wife's approval is just a bridge too far.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

This here is the t-shirt I got married in 30+ years back….

No worries, that’s a Ducati on the front, as ridden by our President, a leather clad German woman who, in no particular order, loved motorcycles, beer, cigarettes and men 😎

She came riding up to the bar one night all bummed out because a local frat-boy sport bike club had rejected her application for membership. So we formed a club right there in front of the bar with her as President.

We weren’t at all picky like the outlaw clubs, we’d let just anyone in. I can’t recall any rules either. Pretty much all ya had to do was buy a t-shirt, it did help if you had a motorcycle of course. We even had a guy who rode a Sportster.

Good times 🙂

#stillnotahardcorebikerIguess

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kwg020
The KLR finally arrived.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
My local Kawasaki dealer has a bright red 650s setting on the show room floor. The color even matches my new Chevy pickup. Getting the wife's approval is just a bridge too far.

kwg

If you DO buy it, be aware that Kawasaki plastic is notorious for fading, which is why I wanted a white one. Reviews say the KLR “s” version like mine has better suspension, with less travel they made it stiffer.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 28 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.