Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#19365289 04/06/24
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked this up today, should be a 1980 produced 25-5. It does have the oversized throats, but I'm not to worried about it. Should be able to get it to shoot. SN is N734xxx its does have the the three T's as well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Very nice Smith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, very nice revolver in large caliber suitable to frame size. Thanks to Taurus Judge/Defender boys and cowboys there is ammo selection galore including improved version of incredibly frightening "Black Tallon "😬🤣 now called Pdx1 or Defender. Nothing but👍👍 🤩👏

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Far as I can tell it’s nickel finished 25-5 which I guess are hard to come by?? According to the guys over on the smith and Wesson forums these shouldn’t have nickel hammer or trigger? But I saw couple on guns international with nickel finished hammers and triggers. This pistol has me scratching my head. It’s lacking the N on the left side of the grip. Maybe it’s a 25-5 someone sent off to have nickel plated who knows. Did smith stamp all of them with a N. The ejector rod is not blued according to smith and Wesson forums they were all blued even on the nickel plated guns.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Very nice. Super collectable.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The finish looks like hard chrome to me, that would explain the hammer and trigger as they were usually matte after Mahovskys or APW did a brushed chrome job. The color looks more like SS than the slightly yellow tint on nickel which is an indicator too.

At any rate it’s a very good finish and a sharp looking revolver.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
That’s a beauty!!

Id not fret the throats. My H&G 68 and 270SAA molds drop a little wide!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finish and certain other info is contained on original shipping box label. Problem is geezers learned they can increase price and sales appeal by throwing in any period correct box or not with proverbial saying: "previous owner really took care of this gun...." The thing to remember is cardboards only usefulness lies from end label information. Blue plastic boxes can be bought for about $15 plus shipping. These at least protect the gun to certain level.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
The finish looks like hard chrome to me, that would explain the hammer and trigger as they were usually matte after Mahovskys or APW did a brushed chrome job. The color looks more like SS than the slightly yellow tint on nickel which is an indicator too.

At any rate it’s a very good finish and a sharp looking revolver.

More reading I did on the S&W forums those two outfits you mentioned were very popular in the 60’s and 70’s with guys sending their pistols to them for refinishing. I took flitz to it and it cleaned up real good. Like you said looks more hard chromed than nickel. If it’s a non factory job which by all indications it is whoever did it did a fantastic job on it. I didn’t get hurt on the price either. Far as the box it’s not the right box it was for model 17-4. I could ask arctic ammo if they could give my number to the guy who had it on consignment. So I can ask them questions about it.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
Finish and certain other info is contained on original shipping box label. Problem is geezers learned they can increase price and sales appeal by throwing in any period correct box or not with proverbial saying: "previous owner really took care of this gun...." The thing to remember is cardboards only usefulness lies from end label information. Blue plastic boxes can be bought for about $15 plus shipping. These at least protect the gun to certain level.

Uh ok I guess..

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The aftermarket finish isn't ideal for a collector item, but very nice gun, regardless.

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes you are correct. I looked all over this pistol for the N they say smith put on them nothing, indicate nickel finish. But as the kid pointed out it looks more hard chromed to me. Then pulled grips to see if a code was there to indicate refinish none. But read by the 80’s smith wasn’t really doing that anymore?? Who knows.. again I could get a factory letter that will tell the story. I can send it Ford have the finish removed and have it reblued.

https://cdn.hibuwebsites.com/8f11630c320b482d8df5e3c48a639ca2/files/uploaded/2024%20Retail%20Complete%20(1).pdf

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I would say it's an aftermarket finish but I wouldn't let that cloud my mind on value. Basically, who cares? You got a great, beautiful gun there, my friend. Have a blast with it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like a fine example to me. I would find a moderate load that pushed a 250-270 grain SWC between 900 and 1K FPS and go find some critters to hunt with that. It would make both a great sidearm as well as a primary hunting gun.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I would say it's an aftermarket finish but I wouldn't let that cloud my mind on value. Basically, who cares? You got a great, beautiful gun there, my friend. Have a blast with it.

You are correct, I did not get hurt at all on what I paid for it. I always wanted a smith a 45 LC. This one was priced right so I snagged it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a 25-5 and a model 57 in 41 mag. The 25-5 is a later gun, but still a fantastic shooter. The Model 57 is a pinned recessed revolver in nickel. I pictured them here to see the nickel on the 57 and how the hammer and trigger are color cased, which is how the nickel guns were made...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 22kHornet, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.