Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MikeS
Originally Posted by xphunter
Originally Posted by catnthehat
OH DANG! When you said "TR" I thought you meant " target rifle " ( irons'n'sling) NOT " F/TR" ( 18 pounds and either .223 or 308) LOL
Sorry for my confusion !Sounds like you had a heckuva time in any case!
Cat

I should have said F-TR...I was being lazy I guess with my typing. The good ole 3-O-Late or is it the 3-O-Wait grin

That would be the 3-0-GREAT! wink

Well Said!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Be willing to bet the people who bash the LR stuff are from the east and never have or will go out west. Swear by their pump rifles and 35 Whelens or what ever the heck of a straight wall cartridge floats their boat. They have no idea how hard the wind blows out here and how open the country is. I watched guys at an elk camp while sighting in their ol trusty blued rifles who couldn't even hit an 8 inch gong at 200 because they'd rather stalk closer and think 250 is long range. Go draw a tag and spend a ton of money to go hunt and have a 7 power on top of an 06. You'll find your theory of stalking closer and being a better hunter ain't gonna work out too good in most cases. Actually way more often not. I'm biased because I live in this type of country and I dial. What people don't talk about enough is optics. That's the most important part of equipment you can own. My comfort zone is to be at least 250 to 300 from whatever I kill. It creates a low pressure environment for the shooter and the animal. I do however limit myself to what I think is ethical and I use common sense while in the field. I have rifles that I am totally confident in to 1000. Never taken game at 1000, but many out past 5 and 600. LR hunting or shooting is not for everybody, but it's something that applies to the region you live. Also it helps to have a cartridge that can dump enough energy with adequate velocity for bullet performance at these ranges. It's all common sense.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Be willing to bet the people who bash the LR stuff are from the east and never have or will go out west. Swear by their pump rifles and 35 Whelens or what ever the heck of a straight wall cartridge floats their boat. They have no idea how hard the wind blows out here and how open the country is. I watched guys at an elk camp while sighting in their ol trusty blued rifles who couldn't even hit an 8 inch gong at 200 because they'd rather stalk closer and think 250 is long range. Go draw a tag and spend a ton of money to go hunt and have a 7 power on top of an 06. You'll find your theory of stalking closer and being a better hunter ain't gonna work out too good in most cases. Actually way more often not. I'm biased because I live in this type of country and I dial. What people don't talk about enough is optics. That's the most important part of equipment you can own. My comfort zone is to be at least 250 to 300 from whatever I kill. It creates a low pressure environment for the shooter and the animal. I do however limit myself to what I think is ethical and I use common sense while in the field. I have rifles that I am totally confident in to 1000. Never taken game at 1000, but many out past 5 and 600. LR hunting or shooting is not for everybody, but it's something that applies to the region you live. Also it helps to have a cartridge that can dump enough energy with adequate velocity for bullet performance at these ranges. It's all common sense.

Watch it man! I resemble your Whelen, pump gun, low powered scope example grin

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its funny most who bag on LR hunting never have hardly ever hunted higher than sea level let alone any kind of mountain, wilderness etc its like comparing a pea to a watermelon. You notice Blackheart never answered my question about it, tried to compare hunting a cow, crop field whatever pasture
what a fugging joke.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/13/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Your right Beretz. Nothing wrong with a Whelen or 06. I know you've spent many weeks in the rockies and that 7 mash has dumped alot of elk! Always enjoy your pics and videos from your elk adventures. Would love to see you get on a antelope in the near future!

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've taken deer past 700yds and inside of 20yds. Standing, trotting, running full-out. Off-hand, kneeling, sitting, prone, rested on rocks, fence-posts, bi-pods, propped up binocs, crossed rattling antlers, backpacks laid-down or stood up, Y-branches in trees/heavy brush. Grew up doing deer-drives down tree-rows, through CRP and cattails, even some standing row-crops when a couple of farmers hunted with us prior to elevated shooting houses becoming ubiquitous on the Northern Plains. Anymore, about the only time we "push" cover is when we've seen a critter bed in cover and have a way to get on him where someone also has a good chance at a high-percentage shot.

Some people like to put lots of tools into their tool-box. Some people are toolbags.

Last edited by horse1; 04/13/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by horse1
Some people like to put lots of tools into their tool-box. Some people are toolbags.

A couple "bromides"

Proper planning/practice prevents poor performance........

When you know you know, and you know you know, confidence replaces fear.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been all over the West, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and Washington and don't own a pump rifle or a .35 Whelen so you lost your bet. I know how hard the wind blows and how open the country is. I didn't hunt while there. Was on vacation with the wife but I did see and get closer than 500 yards to lots of game in the 6 weeks we were out there, including mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn, elk and moose.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've been all over the West, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Oregon and Washington and don't own a pump rifle or a .35 Whelen so you lost your bet. I know how hard the wind blows and how open the country is. I didn't hunt while there. Was on vacation with the wife but I did see and get closer than 500 yards to lots of game in the 6 weeks we were out there, including mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn, elk and moose.

You should try it when the general rifle season open and you actually have a tag in your pocket.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by horse1
I've taken deer past 700yds and inside of 20yds. Standing, trotting, running full-out. Off-hand, kneeling, sitting, prone, rested on rocks, fence-posts, bi-pods, propped up binocs, crossed rattling antlers, backpacks laid-down or stood up, Y-branches in trees/heavy brush. Grew up doing deer-drives down tree-rows, through CRP and cattails, even some standing row-crops when a couple of farmers hunted with us prior to elevated shooting houses becoming ubiquitous on the Northern Plains. Anymore, about the only time we "push" cover is when we've seen a critter bed in cover and have a way to get on him where someone also has a good chance at a high-percentage shot.

Same here Horse. Seems like people paint with a broad brush.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

You should try it when the general rifle season open and you actually have a tag in your pocket.

No $HIT!!! hes been around the west on vacation you just can't make this [bleep] up. Got under 500 yards hahaha ha when he started it was 100 yards.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You think it isn't the same way here ? LOL.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

You think it isn't the same way here ? LOL.
Not a chance, come on out anytime and show us how its done just let me know i wanna see it.
How many mountains have you climbed 1500-2000 vertical feet while hunting wanna see you off hand then just let me know ill take you to a spot a killed a 200" muley you just let me know ya gotta climb 2000'

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/13/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Last fall I hunted Region G in Wyoming camped in my wall tent at 7800' and every morning climbed to 9500' have you ever dont that in your life Blackheart? Come on out and try it once then tell me when a good buck jumps up your gonna shoot off hand while your blowing your lungs out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61

No $HIT!!! hes been around the west on vacation you just can't make this [bleep] up. Got under 500 yards hahaha ha when he started it was 100 yards.
Sherm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're a little douchebag. Take away your crutches aka rests, bi pods and I'd whip your ass offhand, kneeling or sitting with no rest any day and twice on Sunday. As a matter of fact, I got within 25 yards of moose in the bitteroots and within 50 yards of mule deer and whitetails in South Dakata, Montana and Idaho.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Its the same in the east in a cow pasture hunting isn't it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Sherm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're a little douchebag. Take away your crutches aka rests, bi pods and I'd whip your ass offhand, kneeling or sitting with no rest any day and twice on Sunday. As a matter of fact, I got within 25 yards of moose in the bitteroots and within 50 yards of mule deer and whitetails in South Dakata, Montana and Idaho.

I love it when the name calling starts because you know I'm right because that's all you got.
The invite is open just let me know

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Last fall I hunted Region G in Wyoming camped in my wall tent at 7800' and every morning climbed to 9500' have you ever dont that in your life Blackheart? Come on out and try it once then tell me when a good buck jumps up your gonna shoot off hand while your blowing your lungs out.
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

To be the bearer of bad news I had a moose just about run me over at 5 yards in the Selway Wilderness

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles in a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.
Your a joke

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (22250rem, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,262
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.