Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I keep basic records on the coues wt and elk my hunting friends and I have taken. Not so for javelina, coyotes or even coatis.

I keep meticulous records on mearns quail and tie it in with the rainfall we had that year. I refer to previous years as a reference to figure where to go on future mearns hunts.

I keep records for bass at my favorite lake, Roosevelt Lake, Az. Number released, water temp, weather, which part of the lake and what lure did well .

Speaking of squirrel records, while I never kept records, I remember one memorable time on Wall Creek Elk Refuge, near the Madison River in Mt, where I killed 180 ground squirrels in 3 hours with a 10-22. That's an average of one a minute.

I am willing to bet many who don't keep records on their hunting or fishing keep records on their vehicles maintenance. Just saying.....
and I suspect the maintenance is much more important than the game.

BUT I will say this. Keeping data on dates and weather when you see game. When you catch fish etc... is much more important than what you caught or killed kind of thing. Working hard on building a data base for a new boss so he has info for the future on how fish move in the areas we guide in.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I kept a log years ago but eventually stopped. Back when I was mad at the fish I kept a log book of dates, weather conditions, Tides, and what we caught. Has been valuable data. I can pretty much tell you the date the shrimp will hatch in the upper end of the bays and where the Reds and Trout will be any time of the year. I have also kept a similar log of deer sightings, dates, weather, moon phase, times seen and other information. Been doing that since 1999 on the same ranch. It is interesting to go back every year and look at the data. Helps with rut timing and when I need to really hunt hard. The interesting thing is seeing how the herd numbers fluctuate depending on Anthrax, drought conditions, predators, and the influx of non-native species. My old boss always pounded into my head the saying "without data all you have is an opinion". His other saying was "a short pencil is better than a long memory". I was blessed to have some good mentors in my life!

Last edited by Mohawk; 03/31/24.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Kept count when we were young and thought it mattered. Quit at some point when I was over 100 animals with a bow. Actually have a buck knife with mini notches in the handle to count em all. Somewhere it is I suppose.

i have a mini notched Buck 110 knife too. it is now put away and i use Melvin Worving belt knife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I don't really keep track of deer, but i took 3 last year. The other stuff i keep tally of for the benefit of the rancher for predator control.

Last year I had 59 hogs, 3 coyotes, 13 coons, 1 fox, i also shot some skunks and porcupines, but i don't remember how many.

This year I'm at 7 hogs and 5 coons to date, but I've had less hunting time, so far, this year. Last year I had a lot of hunting time at the beginning of the year where I slayed a lot of hogs in the cold months. I also think we've started getting a handle on the hogs, so I expect them to be lower this year. Coyotes on the other hand... I need to hone my coyote skills. I have some catching up to do, but I think I'll come out OK.

Last edited by gsganzer; 03/31/24.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I keep up when the turkey sightings and when they are grouped up with the gobblers, and flocks are breaking up and separate…. hen sightings going to nests.Most years all this is happening within few days of pass year. And people get all worked up over season opening late, breeding dates, they all henned up, and on and on….turkeys going to be doing there thing at around the same time each year and we going to be sitting under a tree opening day waiting for the sun to come up and yea….I heard one gobble this morning and all is fine.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Speaking of count geedubya. With roughly 100 animals does it make you wonder why you need any rifle other than that Sig Cross?

Q
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Q
I started recording my kills (and my family members’ kills) in onX-Hunt. It’s only been a couple of years worth of data so far, but it’s really handy to be able to show someone on a topographical map where you shot a deer. It’s also useful for a situation where a wounded deer runs unexpectedly far to be able to mark where you shot and roughly where it was standing. And then to be able to mark the blood trail as you track it.

Even though I have hunted the same mountainside all my life, I still sometimes miscount the fingers as I crisscross the mountain. Being able to orient myself with the map is sometimes invaluable. “Okay, last year I scared up a big buck that was bedding down just the other side of this ridge.”

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I know I have killed 19 deer in the last 4 years since they raised our limit to 5.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
geedubyah;
Good afternoon my old friend, I see getting towards evening now down in your part of the world, I hope that this finds you and your fine family well.

Somehow I always found taking notes in school as a way to better lock things into my memory and that particular quirk remains with me today.

Our youngest is a high school teacher and she informed me that isn't super uncommon, that is to say that writing something down helps some people retain information.

When I asked her if typing will do the same for present and future generations, she said that it is being studied, so while the data isn't conclusive, it doesn't look like that's the case.

Anyways GW, all that's the long way of saying I wrote down the first two heads of big game about 5 years after the event, when I'd got back into hunting and have continued to do that since. Mostly it's been only big game that go in, but the odd interesting coyote shot seemed to make its way in there as well. grin

The data I record sounds somewhat similar to Mule Deer's in I'll record date, time, place, species, number of points, rough distance, bullet weight before and after if found, carcass weight, body condition and the animal's reaction to being shot.

At one point I thought I could remember each one without looking in the journal, but now when I go through it there's some I wouldn't have without reading about it somehow.

Also it's a nice reminder of hunts with my late Father too and perhaps it'll go to the kids as a bit of an explanation of who I was or have come to be.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like women, the only ones that matter are the first one, the last one, and the next one.

GR

IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I keep track of the number of double lung shots I have made on game—exactly one.

Spine, shoulder, liver, heart, head all hit in combination with a lung.

But just one broadside double lung shot.

Last week a liver/heart shot on a wild boar quartering away at 230 yards.

I don’t know how everyone else does it

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 04/17/24.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have many log books filled with data from years of every match rifle I have shot, but I have never kept track of the birds or animals I have killed.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Sometime this last year there was a man
rhat had felt necessary to give me a ration
of sheet over the fact that I don't have any
deer taxidermy done. He went on about
respecting the animals, blah blah blah
and this and that about some of the better
racks I've saved in a pile etc. etc.

Was he a taxidermist?😜

I just “love” guys that think they should be the ethics police for everyone else. Sorry fellers, but not only do I not mount my scrags, but given a chance I’ll ambush a turkey and shoot it with a rifle if that’s what I have, hunt with a crossbow, and even eat a bass now and then, so save your sermon.

One of the coolest things about way up north in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Upper Michigan is the amount of big racks that are hanging on a nail in some barn somewhere and they thought nothing of it. I knew 2 old brothers. They had so many huge racks. One, a 14 point buck was just amazing. He shot it in Boulder Junction , WIsconsin around 1940. He had an old Winchester, mod. 70 in .270 WIn. I asked if he ever wanted to sell it. He said " It ain't eatin no hay". I took it as a no.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. Not at all

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not a log, but I get a ziploc bag and put the tag, recovered bullet if applicable, buglers, spent brass, and a 5x7 card with short details of the hunt to spur my memory when reminiscing. Kill site photo if I have one. Elk only.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Roughly, but never written down. I'm not a writer, and more interested in the meat and experience than anything else. I don't kill enough of anything to loose track, except caribou. Lost track there around 75. + - 100 now I'd guess.

Still, there are times I'd like to reference certain things. if doing it all over again, I probably would run a hunt diary.

I did have to list my moose kills a couple weeks ago to get an accurate count. The next day I added one I'd missed. 22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up when game meant food on the table. That's the way I lived, I remember the memorable ones, nobody else cares. When you die that is just that much more crap for your family to throw away. The past thirty years I take some pictures for hunting posts/ tutorials but even those get deleted soon. It's hard enough keeping tract of gear let alone memories, make new ones.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Killed a bunch of critters, if I ever cared about keeping count I've lost interest a while ago. Perhaps I should have kept a data set as it makes sense for referencing. The sharing of memories with family, friends and meeting fellow outdoorsmen has been my bragging board!

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Not only didn’t keep a log, most of my kills I do not have pictures of. Since about 1980 I started carrying a camera , in a lot of cases those cheap cameras you sent the whole camera in for developing. Terrible quality of course. Unlike a lot of you midwestern and eastern whitetail hunters I have not killed a lot of game, but a big variety. Think I have 20 of the North American 29, including the grand slam of sheep and moose, been great sport. So many things and so like time and money was my problem.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never kept track of it, myself. Sometimes I’d keep track of pheasants, chukar or ptarmigan, but just for that particular season and then I’d forget it.

I’ve hunted 4 continents, and will be on #5 next year. Hunted 8-10 countries and a half dozen states. Haven’t pulled anything but a general or unlimited tag since 2018, but that’s OK…

I’ve officially scored a grand total of one animal and that was only because it was the first of that species in the lower 48 to be entered. I’ve got 10-12 more that probably would make the book but have never cared enough to enter them, including a 54” and change Shiras moose that would (at least would have been) be top 5 in Montana. I am at about 16-18 of the North American 29 and there’s only a handful of upland bird species that I haven’t taken.

Just not my thing to actually keep track, but rock on to those who do.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,055
Posts18,482,331
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.