Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The 870 is known to be indestructible, but I managed to break the ejector. Just enough came off the front part, so it no longer sits in the notch in the receiver end of the barrel, allowing the barrel to rotate slightly. I have a spare ejector and spring but had to order the rivets. This is on a matte finish police magnum, (former less lethal in it's previous life) so a simple cold blue on the rivets could with the shell carrier will cover them up nicely. An unplanned project, but I'm thankful to have some parts on hand as well as sourcing some online. When will I get to doing it is the question.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never done one. I have staked the shell latches.
Next time I would order the tools to do it.
I noticed Brownells has tools to do the ejector. It reads as the deluxe kit includes a cutter which may allow you to reuse the rivet. That would be great if it worked and no finish issues.
Have you ever done one before?

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’ve replaced the ejector spring before which only involves the front rivet. Unfortunately, I need to replace the entire unit which means removing it from the receiver, so drilling out and replacing both rivets. The Brownells tools make peening the rivets over an easy task. I’ve done one before without issue.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
The damage done…

Attached Images
IMG_2068.jpeg (47.88 KB, 98 downloads)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have the tools already?

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by 338reddog
You have the tools already?

Yes, I do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should be able to save the current rivets with the brownells rivet cutter and re-peen it. If you have to replace the rivets entirely, they will fit proud to the receiver. I take them to the bench stone and stone and fit them flush, then when peening the rivets I have a polished piece of steel under the receiver so I have a good backing, but it doesn't mar the receiver. A few tricks that have worked for me. Ryan

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
You should be able to save the current rivets with the brownells rivet cutter and re-peen it. If you have to replace the rivets entirely, they will fit proud to the receiver. I take them to the bench stone and stone and fit them flush, then when peening the rivets I have a polished piece of steel under the receiver so I have a good backing, but it doesn't mar the receiver. A few tricks that have worked for me. Ryan

Good to know on the rivets fitting a bit proud. I have rivets out, and they're certainly reusable. I'll decide which to use when they around to competing the task. Thanks for the tips!

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I ended up using the new rivets after honing them down a bit and doing some cold blue on the the exposed side. It doesn't matter since they're covered up by a shell carrier. It might be a while before I can give it a test, but function seems to be in order, no binding or slop in the barrel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice work Dubie! I like it!

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.