Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I firmly believe that the only way to truly provide any degree of security to students, teachers and assorted other school staff is for as many teachers as possible to be armed which would be especially critical in large building/campus, multiple story schools.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tennessee is just recognizing the fact that some teachers have been carrying for years- - - -damn the poosy administrators with lace on their drawers (and those are the men!). Lots of us were willing to risk dismissal for having the audacity to survive an attack, and have the option of tripling our pay by going back to the trade we learned before getting a vocational teaching certificate. "Concealed carry" means that nobody knows you're packing until the schidt hits the fan. The assistant principal (AKA a coach with two losing seasons) was more likely to toe the party line, because he would starve to death if he ever lost his job.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wonder how many school teachers carry a firearm concealed even though they arent supposed to?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jericho
I wonder how many school teachers carry a firearm concealed even though they arent supposed to?

Far more often left in a vehicle.

I’m pretty sure most all urban school districts now have random checks with drug dogs that also alert to firearms. At least one district here has random metal detector checks set up in hallways. I’ve never seen one so I dunno if they check teachers too. Years back the dog detected a shotgun in the trunk of a teacher’s car during dove season, which back then was a fireable offense. They cut him some slack, called in a sub to cover his classes and let him take it home.

Most places, if you have a high school with 2-3,000 students, I would guess there’s gonna be at least a couple of students with a gun in their backpacks every day. They apparently don’t bring them to randomly shoot people.

80,000 high schools, maybe 20 psycho mass shooting in the last 20 years. For any given location that translates to one such shooting every 1,600,000 school years (80,000 x 20). OF COURSE I support secure schools and armed LEOs on campus, I just dont worry so much about mass shootings.

80,000 high schools in America, if even 20,000 of those meet the big and urban criteria, I would confidently guess that there’s gonna be at least that many kids with guns on campus every day across America. Like I said, they must not be bringing them to randomly shoot people. Maybe they know if they do use them on campus they’re gonna get caught.

Would I carry on campus? I dunno. I do carry most everywhere else. After 30+ years in an urban school I can say that I am many, many times more likely to end up on the floor during the course of intervening in a fight than I am to need a gun. So whatever I use it had better be some sort of retention holster, preferably in some place where I ain’t likely to land on it in a fall.

Also, seeing the same 100+ keen eyed students every day in the same classroom through the school year, wherever you would carry on your person it had better be really well concealed.

Also, since you would be carrying to proactively engage a shooting in progress, what sort of handgun would you choose? Pocket pistols ain’t likely to cut it.

Do I support the right of teachers to carry? Yes because despite dire predictions no major problems have emerged so far where it is legal. Be aware tho that guns WILL be dropped, forgotten etc etc on occasion same as Cops do. You carry on campus, you assume that liability.

Also, you might be among hordes of panicking kids as well as be encountering first responders arriving. I’d want training.

When I REALLY would like to carry is every time I ride my bicycle home from school 🥴

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (160user, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 25 invisible), 1,863 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,379
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.