B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by xphunter
Yes, I have filmed a few of them...Beyond a shadow of a doubt
People want proof that guys who hunt at distance shoot from the prone.
It is quite common around here.
Someone gives proof...Oh you are grandstanding Ha! You gotta love it!
It is quite evident, even when someone responds to a comment with evidence, you will find a way to tear it down or attempt to negate it.

Never hunted with anyone who had a camera with them...Does your phone have a camera or video in it???

Even though you are irritating, I have more pity for you than anything else.
If this is your public posture, I don't even want to know how dark your heart is.
I hope your day is much better than your words.
Not much point carrying a phone into places with no cell service. I got all the proof of my marksmanship abilities I needed on the firing lines of the many local, state and regional competitions I participated in.

FYI, you can still take photos without cell service.
WTF would I want to take photos for ? I'm out there to collect meat, not try to impress idiots on the internet with in the field hero pics.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Coyote10
My sportsmans club doesn't have any of that. They have a 100 yard range chopped through the woods with one bench that I have to myself 95% of the time.

Sounds like a blast lmao.
That'd get old in about 5 minutes.[/quote] Leave your crutches {bench, rests, bi pods} out of it and 100 yards is plenty for offhand practice. Much more relevant to success in these woods where you'll seldom get a shot farther than that. I don't consider somebody a good shot if they need a rest to hit anything and that covers 99% of the people I see at the range. You can't pry their asses away from the bench because they know they can't hit anything without it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Have a visiting pard,who has never shot past 100yds. Once done with Casting this morning,I set him up with my Accuracy International AT-X wearing it's 7" RPM K&P 'Dasher spout,with .620 BC 112's at 2820fps and single digit SD/ES. I gave him a wind call(half value) and he was within 1/2" of his aiming point at 650yds,on a rifle he'd never shot(had him dry fire the two-stage trigger 3x) and he blew his own fhuqking mind. Arca 'pod up front and rear fist under stern,from a tree stump,not 30 minutes ago. Hint.

BlackTart has NEVER even "seen" Good Riggin',let alone "shot" same and her Brokedicktitude precludes an opportunity to do so. Hint.............
What this little retard is saying is that pretty much anybody can shoot good from a solid rest given the proper equipment. I don't disagree.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BlackTart would need a fhuqking co-signer for the muzzle tape alone. Hint.

Fortunately for her,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even she can "afford" to "contribute" by DREAMING aloud. Hint.

She has NEVER even "seen" Good Riggin',let alone shot same and her Brokedicktitude precludes an opportunity to do so. Hint.

Typical "slow" day yesterday. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.

You're quite vocal about no phone or camera on your person. How about a GPS, I'm still curious about the tracking deer 10Mi/day. How do you know you went 10Mi trailing deer?

Any further comment regarding that 10Mi/day tracking job?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Be Wary, Wary Quiet, woor hunting Milk Wugs laugh

I have decided to take the Milk Jug Challenge. I have never done a video before so making a video with a spotting scope will be the most challenging aspect of this challenge.

You can attach your cell phone to a spotting scope to film long-range shooting, so I purchased a Gosky 20-60x80 Spotting Scope and Tripod, as shown below, a picture of the system I am using to film my challenge with an exploding milk jug photo on my cell phone because that is what I expect to see. cool

I will also do a video out to 800 yards later this summer. The target I will set up at 800 yards when I do that will be 25” x 25”. I will post that video as well. I look forward to seeing the groups I get @ 800 yards.

I will be shooting my Weatherby .300 Win Mag, topped with my Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50, the same scope the guide used. Ammunition, off-the-shelf Nosler Trophy Grade Accubond Long Range Cartridges in 190 gr.

Good luck to all who participate in this challenge.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's too much spotter weight on that tripod for good video. You're going to want either a better tripod, or, you're going to have to have a very solid surface, hang significant weight off the center hook, and have that tripod in it's shortest position, which will then require a shooting spot that allows for video to work with the tripod that low.

If you've got a place where you can shoot prone but have the spotter/tripod above you on a cement-top bench table or the like it might work OK so long as there's not a lot of wind to wiggle the optic.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the heads-up horse1.

I have never owned or even used a spotting scope or tripod since I do not hunt sheep.

I bought this one because of the price $200.00 CDN, knowing full well at the price it was far from the best. The Tripod cost me $60.00 and had many great reviews. I didn't want to spend lots because all I will use it for after making the video is to check out ladies suntanning in a bikini on our lake laugh

The tripod seems pretty sturdy, but I understand what you are saying. How much weight would you use to anchor it?

If I keep it low and un-extended, maybe that will work best? This is it un-extended.

Cheers ~

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/27/24.

KB

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've tent camped and tracked deer 10 miles a day in the Adirondacks. How about you ? The fact is, you have no clue what it's like here. At least I've been there.

You're quite vocal about no phone or camera on your person. How about a GPS, I'm still curious about the tracking deer 10Mi/day. How do you know you went 10Mi trailing deer?

Any further comment regarding that 10Mi/day tracking job?
Ten miles is just a guess and probably on the conservative side.

J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No dog in this fight but 10 miles a day isn’t uncommon, especially when they are zigging and zagging and running between doe groups. They are bastards that way

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have never owned or even used a spotting scope or tripod since I do not hunt sheep.

I bought this one because of the price $200.00 CDN, knowing full well at the price it was far from the best. The Tripod cost me $60.00 and had many great reviews. I didn't want to spend lots because all I will use it for after making the video is to check out ladies suntanning in a bikini on our lake laugh

The tripod seems pretty sturdy, but I understand what you are saying. How much weight would you use to anchor it?

If I keep it low and un-extended, maybe that will work best? This is it un-extended.

Cheers ~

Get a 35 lb dumbell

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Cheers ~

Get a 35 lb dumbell

Why does alwaysatwat’s mom have big biceps?

From raising a dumbell

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This was hard to watch. My first impression is that this is click-bait and the Backfire channel is just at it to cash in. Secondly, these guys don't know what they don't know and have no business killing animals beyond about 200 yards; even the "guide".

Some realistic observations:

One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue.

The lightweight hunting barrels being used will have wandering point of impact after two to three rounds, but the "challenge" requires repeated shots.

Second, the "realistic hunting situations" doesn't account for the hunter can be confident in his shot or he has the option to not take it.

Third, most of the rifles and optics are not capable rifles for the situations presented. Custom rifles and better optics are paramount for "long range hunting".

The ammunition being used is not consistent enough for "long range hunting". I don't recall seeing anything but box-fodder.

Milk jugs on or near the ground are harder to range than an actual animal.

Animals create for fluid situations.

The zone of a lethal shot is larger than a milk jug; many of the near misses would lead to fatal shots.

None of the shooters were using support effectively.

At the end of the day, this is a poor representation of actual people that hunt and practice at range.

I suppose at the end of the day, the shooting is representative of the average person captivated by "Backfire TV".

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would be pretty happy if I could lay across my pack with my kimber montana 6.5 cm make a first shot hit on a milk jug at 500 yds. Never tried it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Calvin
I would be pretty happy if I could lay across my pack with my kimber montana 6.5 cm make a first shot hit on a milk jug at 500 yds. Never tried it.

I'd be peeved if I couldn't, assuming atmospherics were such that I'd be inclined to shoot an antelope, deer, etc @ that distance. Varmints don't count.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by drop_point
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'd be peeved if I couldn't, assuming atmospherics were such that I'd be inclined to shoot an antelope, deer, etc @ that distance. Varmints don't count.

My milk gallon jugs are only 6” wide. Not sure if they vary in size in different regions.

Aim at the center and you have 3” of wiggle room on either side. On a first shot scenario, it would be tough to account for any wind, less than solid rest, and normal group dispersion at 500 yds. But my mountain rifle is only .75 on a good day so I am sure someone smarter than I can tell me if it’s even possible to make consistent hits with a .75” rifle at 500 yds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That Marine in the challenge, was guaranteed to fail after his first shot. He scopes himself on the first shot and is bleeding like s stuck pig, man did I laugh! Yep a real expert.

100 shots with a .300 Win Mag without a Muzzle Break, ya right. Also, he did not have a backrest for his stock, red flags everywhere!

I am doing the challenge with my .300 Win Mag, I don't have a muzzle break on it so I will not be taking back-to-back shots, without taking a break. In real-life hunting situations, it's 1 and done.

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/28/24.

KB

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
One won't take 100 shots in a sitting in an actual hunt. One can say you shoot 100 yards in a day or two at a match, but that isn't done with a .300 Winchester Magnum. Recoil causes fatigue..

That's the real rub for me on the whole deal. Anything that I hunt big-game with recoils enough that I wouldn't want to shoot it 50 times in a day, let alone 100. Even an 8#-9# 243Win/6Creed would get to be a great plenty as you closed in on 50 rounds.

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I didn't see the 100 rounds in a day as something intended to be a hunting simulation. I saw it as a test of the shooter's ability in various field conditions.

But yeah, 100 rounds of 300WinMag, sporter weight rifle, no brake, no rear bag, getting scoped on the first shot, and a 100 yard zero, that was not........what could possibly go wrong (grin).

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

You aren't really testing their ability is my biggest gripe. The barrel is going to be hot causing flyers, the barrel is going to likely have major fouling which degrades accuracy, and the shooter is going to become recoil shy. You're right, what could go wrong?

All true. And the shooter chose the rifle knowing what the course of fire would consist of. That in itself tells a lot.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,630
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.