Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Picked up a new rifle in Rem 700 long Range in 7mm PRC on Friday. I was unable to check it out until Saturday morning. At the store they had a tigger lock and I was unable to inspect the bolt.
Here is what I found
The bolt stop will not return to the down position without pulling it down. I should be able to fix it.
The other issue is a large piece of brass stuck under the extractor and what looks to be a primer leak around the bolt face. I don’t think that its cut the bolt face but I did not want to wipe the carbon away.
The brass under the extractor is right where the rivet holding the extractor in place. And wonder if there was a blown primer or case rupture?
I am going to take it back to the store at their request.
Would it be a non issue to you ? Should I just remove the brass and fire it.
I figured they will make me deal with the factory.
Also wonder why Remington went back to the riveted extractor.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 338reddog; 04/28/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Not sure what the red is ? The shinny part to the left is also brass. Maybe it was over pressure and the brass was sheared
Here is a pic with flash
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]host image online
There is also brass mark below the ejector

Last edited by 338reddog; 04/28/24.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
going out on a limb here... but aren't some rifles "proof tested" at the factory with over pressure ammo?... to insure they they are "Good to Go" as it were... maybe you are seeing that evidence?...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My impression is that ALL factory rifles are proof tested before leaving the factory per SAAMI regulations. I could of course be wrong about that.

On the other hand, I have never seen something like this on any Remington 700, NIB or otherwise.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Is the rifle new or just new to you? That sure looks like a lot of finish wear for a new rifle. The bolt stop is easy to remedy…a little Kroil in its slot and keep working it or tap out the pin, clean the slot, checking for rust, etc.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
going out on a limb here... but aren't some rifles "proof tested" at the factory with over pressure ammo?... to insure they they are "Good to Go" as it were... maybe you are seeing that evidence?...

This is what I was thinking as well! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Brand new.
I would think if it was a over pressure load it failed and should been reworked. I have never had brass shear off under a extractor.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Is the rifle brand new? Or used?
Is it a RemArms rifle or a Remington?
Have you fired it?

I see you already answered my questions….

Last edited by alpinecrick; 04/28/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You mentioned on the other forum the rivet appeared to be proud. I’m wondering if the extractor may not be fully seated in the bolt face and sticks out enough to take a bite out of the brass.

My understanding is firearms are proof fired and I’ve seen plenty of brand new M700s over the years with a bit of brass stuck somewhere on the bolt face or the edge of the ejector hole. I haven’t seen one with brass under the ejector though.

Don’t have clue what the red color is, maybe the proof rounds were marked with red on the base.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 04/28/24.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
It is the new Remington company. It is their new Long Range in 7mm PRC
I have not shot it or even bought ammunition or loading supplies for it.
Still need to get base and rings here
Not sure about the red either, with out the flash it appears more of a copper/rust color
The rivet is proud on the exterior of the bolt. I can not tell on the inside as it’s covered by the brass
I did measure trigger pull and its crisp and consistent at 3.75 lbs

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Take it back

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duke61
Take it back

THIS !!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thats the plan
I hope they do take it back otherwise I hope Remington takes care of it

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Talked to Rem today, the rep said the rifle needed to come back and Scheel’s was great. Took it in told them the issue and didn’t need to ask they returned my money.
Thats great customer service

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that the red on the bolt face is indicative of a proof round being fired in that rifle. I have a number of proof rounds and they all have blue or red color paint or dye around the primer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a BDL in 270 Win in 1968. Rifle has always been flawless accounted for many deer, elk and bears, javelina and varmints too. Never had anything done to it but a Norm Thompson trigger job. I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H in 2011. It wouldn't chamber Remington factory ammo. I could've sent it back to Remington but wouldn't have got it back in time for my brown bear hunt. I'm lucky to have Kevin Weaver (gunsmith) within driving distance and he took care of it. Remington QC has gone down the tubes. Sorry you have a problem with a brand new rifle. I feel your pain.

Last edited by colorado; 04/29/24.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The new owners have a short time to re-establish the Remington reputation. Good on them for taking it back with no fuss, but they need to nip this kind of stuff at the source, and soon. Should never have made it out the door like that.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado
I bought a BDL in 270 Win in 1968. Rifle has always been flawless accounted for many deer, elk and bears, javelina and varmints too. Never had anything done to it but a Norm Thompson trigger job. I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H in 2011. It wouldn't chamber Remington factory ammo. I could've sent it back to Remington but wouldn't have got it back in time for my brown bear hunt. I'm lucky to have Kevin Weaver (gunsmith) within driving distance and he took care of it. Remington QC has gone down the tubes. Sorry you have a problem with a brand new rifle. I feel your pain.
[i][/i]

That was about when they were going bankrupt.............

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I think that the red on the bolt face is indicative of a proof round being fired in that rifle. I have a number of proof rounds and they all have blue or red color paint or dye around the primer.
Rep said they do not use proof rounds. Maybe he was mistaken.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I hope the best for Remington and even though was annoying, hiccups do happen. I have had issues with Ruger, Weatherby, Remington (years ago) and Winchester. I have had Winchester and Ruger send back both rifles with problems not fixed. They made it right and both sent new rifles.
The Ruger was cosmetic as a large area on a No 1 wouldn’t blue. The Winchester classic wouldn’t feed without shaving brass.
I did buy a rifle that had a chamber that was only short chambered. I had it finished locally.
Anyways stuff happens and good luck to Remington. I still think I may pick up another long Range 7 PRC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What is that crooked line on the bolt body just behind the locking lugs?

That sure is a boatload of crap for a supposably new in box rifle. Color me suspicious.

1Minute
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am not aware of any of the big U.S. Manufacturers that Proof test every gun made, they Test fire every one. They MAY or may not do a random Proof test on a limited amount of rifles in a production run. In England and most of Europe, ALL firearms must be proofed at a govt. proof house, not the manufacturer, and are marked with the official proof stamp. U.S. laws do not require proof, I guess the Govt figures if the manufacturer does damage, the Lawyers will get them. The red may be primer sealant blown out by leaking gas around the primer from an over-pressure round. Who knows and Remington will never tell you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Remington 700 BDL that will crater the primer on every shot; even those light cast bullet loads I like to shoot. Much more noticeable with serious hunting load. Upon close inspection of the bolt face it appears someone at the factory did a slight chamfering of the hole for the firing pin. I guess it must have been putting a scratch or something on the face of the primer and they "fixed" it. I can presume it was done at the factory and I bought that rifle at J.C. Penney back in 1981. Just never got around to doing something about it. I have run some fairly stiff loads in that rifle and it has never given me a problem.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remington.

Meh.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reddog, not sure about the other stuff but maybe the red stuff is grease? I just took apart a brand new Glock for a buddy to show him how and they use that red grease from the factory pretty liberally? Who knows, good luck.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
What is that crooked line on the bolt body just behind the locking lugs?

That sure is a boatload of crap for a supposably new in box rifle. Color me suspicious.
After posting the pic I had to take a look at the bolt. The pic looks like it cracked, it was not. Flash really plays some tricks.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had an ejection issue with the same model. I had a gunsmith put a M16 ejector in it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...new-remarms-700-won-t-eject#Post19061363

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I didn’t notice that line originating from the rear surface of the bolt lug. Interesting.

Remington of old would stamp “REP” inside an oval on the right side of the barrel, just forward of the recoil lug to indicate “Remington English Proof”. I don’t know what pressure they’re subjected to but they were proofed at the factory. Don’t know if the new factory does the same but I would imagine so…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I would guess that red residue is primer sealant. I get that with some military ammo and some brands of factory ammo. The chambering eliminates military ammo, so I guess there some commercial manufacturer using sealants still.

The last time I had brass shavings like that on a Remington 700, the brass was flowing into the ejector, then when the bolt was turned the ejector recess shaved off that bit of brass. Figured it out because the head had a nice shiny circle where it was shaved. Load wasn't hot, so I figured soft brass (Winchester 300WM).

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/30/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I had an ejection issue with the same model. I had a gunsmith put a M16 ejector in it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...new-remarms-700-won-t-eject#Post19061363

Do you mean extractor?

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is Remington still using riveted extractors? A lot of the late models had primary extraction problems. That requires relocating the bolt handle.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The red ring around fire pin hole??? uum how about primer sealant??????

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Is Remington still using riveted extractors? A lot of the late models had primary extraction problems. That requires relocating the bolt handle.
As stated above the Remington rep said it depends on the caliber.
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
The red ring around fire pin hole??? uum how about primer sealant??????
Im not confident to say what it is. The flash made it look red. The color looked more copper or rust colored with out the flash.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They have had their issues since 1962.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338reddog

Anything with the 'magnum' .532 bolt face still uses the riveted extractor. The rivet on the pictured bolt was a few thou. too high.....the brass transfer was from the case rim.

The 700's and 722's before them have been kicking azz and getting it done in the hunting fields, 'dog towns and informal and formal competition for a long, long time.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by 338reddog

Anything with the 'magnum' .532 bolt face still uses the riveted extractor. The rivet on the pictured bolt was a few thou. too high.....the brass transfer was from the case rim.

The 700's and 722's before them have been kicking azz and getting it done in the hunting fields, 'dog towns and informal and formal competition for a long, long time.
Good shootin' -Al
I figured that was part of the issue. I thought that the rivet may had held the case up far enough to cause the primer to leak. I may pickup another, if so, I will go with a 7rem mag next go round.

Last edited by 338reddog; 05/03/24.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Hear hear!. A few bumpy times not directly related to Rem themselves. Thought the recent closure of the NY plant might cause problems, & if they did arise, not excusable but explainable. Workers pissed or distraught at loosing their job,,,,, not doing their best work? A few more bumps?

The new owners seem to be dedicated & listening. Getting settled into their new digs without a Union telling them how to run their company & the state hammering them at every turn might lead to great things.

We shall see.

1 member likes this: Al_Nyhus
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.