Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by grovey
So i guess their going to send an appraiser out, and i just assumed they would come inside?

You own your house, the only way they get inside Is if you let them in.

They have no say in the matter. They may say "Then we won't write a policy" . All you say is have a nice day I'll call someone else.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by grovey
So i guess their going to send an appraiser out, and i just assumed they would come inside?

You own your house, the only way they get inside Is if you let them in.

They have no say in the matter. They may say "Then we won't write a policy" . All you say is have a nice day I'll call someone else.
That’s it, that’s how it’s done

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
Until you have a major claim: fire, tornado. Then the contract, fine print, will take over.

Which would happen with or without pictures.

If I was really concerned - hide the reloading powder and let them take the pics were I not willing to exclude them from the house. 99/100 appraisers aren't even going to know what it is. The policy is not going to be bespoke to your home regardless - with the exception of coverage amounts. Read the policy then before saying "yes" if it bothers you.

I'd say the appraiser's job is to primarily assess if the house is as describe with regards to roof age/condition, large obvious hazards like swimming pools, fences (expensive to repair), that river in the back yard you neglected to mention, the neighborhood's crime rate etc. They're not checking cabinets to see what kind of cleaners you own or if you're keeping large quantities of explosives/accelerants under the sink.

Me

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was thinking after an event, claim filed. Won't be appraisers, but adjusters, investigation. What if they discovered after the fact that you had powder, etc., outside the limits of the contract? Insurance companies, being what they are, will look for any loophole to deny a claim.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had State Farm, Farmers, and Allstate, and none ever asked to come into my home. Exterior inspection only.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teal
I get driving by to check the roof, trees, power lines, fire hydrants, swimming pools etc. You're not getting inside. Over my dead body.

This.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
I was thinking after an event, claim filed. Won't be appraisers, but adjusters, investigation. What if they discovered after the fact that you had powder, etc., outside the limits of the contract? Insurance companies, being what they are, will look for any loophole to deny a claim.

Yep but end of the day - you need to read your contract/policy. Mine doesn't say a single word about it in there. In fact - the contract is basically about the limits - financially, not any exclusions other than it being a private residence, not commercial, no need for flood insurance given where I live . That and my umbrella coverage being added to the premium.

Me

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don’t even know what an insurance “appraiser “ is.

I know what an insurance Adjuster is.

I know what a bank/mortgage company “appraiser” is.

I know what a Home Inspector is.

What the hell is an insurance “appraiser “.

When I seek homeowners insurance, I want the Max Amount of coverage allowed. If they try and sell me a policy for $400K and I know it will cost way more that that to rebuild, I demand more coverage or I walk.

The Insurance industry is famous for underinsuring homes under the guise of “reasonable rates”. They could give two schits what your actual replacement costs are, or what is inside your home , as long as they keep you underinsured.

I can’t tell you home many home owners that have losses way above their Policy Limits and are left with a Yuge out of pocket bill, or nothing but rubble clean up.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Fire and engineering: three legs of stool.

Oxygen air supply
Fuel - flammable material/ accelerant
Ignition source

They are trying to determine risk and severity of fire, should there be a fire.

In the UK there are laws controlling the amount /ass of flammable - explosives that maybe stored, how they are stored away from buildings etc. for home there are limits to how much can be stored in how think it is sixty pounds or kg equivalent. A lot by UK standards maybe not souch by Texas 🙂

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Btw technically, at least in UK, reloading powders are accelerants, not explosives due to rate of reaction / formation of gas pressure wave.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
How does the insurance company know you have it?
They send snoops who take pictures of every room in your home.

Never happened to me or anyone I know.

Maybe when I first bought my house, but it was empty.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Twice for me. I hate that crap. Didn't know I had a choice if I wanted a policy.

Ask them why. It could be a risk specific to your area. But I would ask why for sure.

Last edited by plumbum; 04/29/24.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It was probably Jewish feds disguised as insurance agents scoping out TRH’s abode looking for classified documents on the holocaust.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by steve4102

Let me Google that for you

There. That wasn't difficult, was it?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Not mine.

They've never been in my house. Came and took pictures of the outside once. That's it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Me neither, in 40 years of having HO insurance. Roof, general outside inspection maybe.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by plumbum
Originally Posted by steve4102

Let me Google that for you

There. That wasn't difficult, was it?
LOL.

From your cool little linky.

What Is an Insurance Appraiser and What Do They Do?

When a policyholder files an insurance claim, their insurance company must assess the reported damage or loss to determine how much they are responsible for paying. Insurance companies often send an insurance appraiser to investigate, evaluate and settle these insurance claims.

Psst, hey dumb ass, that is an “Insurance Adjuster”, After a loss, not when purchasing a policy, Yuge difference.

Nice try Dumb Ass

Last edited by steve4102; 04/29/24.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Having been an agent/broker for 35 years, perhaps I can offer some insight.

I know of no insurance companies that will ask about reloading supply's, or that will not insure a home with a reloader in it.

There are most likely local town ordinance's that limit how much powder we can have in the home, but, for example, in a fire, who's to say you had more than the town's limit?

There are insurance companies that require an inside inspection, especially for home with a replacement cost of $1,000,0000. The higher the home's value, the more likely the insurance company will demand an interior inspection, and, not by me. They will send their own guy.

Just last year, one of my companies now requires that I go inside the home and take pictures, just to get a quote., and this is on any price home, condo or townhome!

To steve4102's point 'The Insurance industry is famous for underinsuring homes under the guise of “reasonable rates”. They could give two schits what your actual replacement costs are, or what is inside your home , as long as they keep you underinsured.'

That is an ignorant statement, but ignorance can be fixed with education.

It is in the insurance companies best interest to be as sure as possible, that your home is insured to replacement cost. The rates are based, in large part, to the amount of insurance on the home, i.e., the higher the replacement cost, the higher the premium, so the more money an insurance gets

There can be multiple reasons why a home is under-insured, and here are a few examples: the owner finishes the basement, and doesn't tell his broker, the home owner adds a 2nd story or a wing, and doesn't tell the broker, the broker doesn't do a periodic review of the clients needs to find these things out, among others.

All the insurance companies I work with automatically increase the amount of insurance on a home each renewal. Is that enough of an increase to keep pace with rising costs? Did the homeowner do any upgrades during the year?

I have a client that both are Doctors, and they were remodeling a 2nd home they have in Aspen, CO. The client made sure to tell me the granite they were using came from the bottom of The Dead Sea, and not Granite, CO. He wanted to be sure he had enough coverage, which highlights steve4102 point of demanding to have enough coverage, and I agree with this.

Keep in mind adjusters are trained to re-underwrite a property when they are on a claim and give their findings to the underwriters. The underwriters will compare the adjusters information with what I put on the original application and may adjust the policy accordingly.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
In 22 years, our Farm Bureau agent has been to my house twice. We talked in the driveway.

My best friend is one of their Adjustors, but he has more powder than I do.

I sometimes wonder how some on the ‘Fire get in these situations…….

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fuqk the reloading supplies... HIDE THE WOODSTOVE!!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 673, 7 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,953
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.