S
Yup, practice. Lost my right eye 3 years ago. Sucks but I'm getting better

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by superscifi12
I need to switch from right eye & right hand dominant to left handed shooting due to health reasons, I have cancer and they put my port on the right side so I can't really have recoil impacting it.

Waiting till treatment is over is not really an option at the moment. Longer story. So I want to see if anyone has tips on switching sides for rifle and possibly shotgun shooting? I really want to go hunting with my children this year.

Start with something low recoiling, and off the bench. Like a 22. Then progress to practicing offhand from the weak side. Again, with something low recoiling. If you have a .410 and like shotgunning, that would be a good place to start. Work into it, and you will realize and accept your limitations. I know I have mine, from the weak side. Good luck and beat that cancer!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I need to switch from right eye & right hand dominant to left handed shooting due to health reasons, I have cancer and they put my port on the right side so I can't really have recoil impacting it.

Waiting till treatment is over is not really an option at the moment. Longer story. So I want to see if anyone has tips on switching sides for rifle and possibly shotgun shooting? I really want to go hunting with my children this year.

I don't have any advice for you on switching but I will tell you this,

Kick cancers Ass!! Kick it all the way back to hell where it belongs.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I shoot left handed, play cricket and attempt tennis left-handed. I prefer to use manual saw, chisels left handed.

But can use my right hand. I think I am right master eye but sight in left eye is worse than right eye. I wear contact lenses.

Long way of saying it is doable. I learnt to drive on a manual shift / stock gearbox. Wife prefers automatics so all family vehicles are automatic. Sometimes I find myself trying to shift gear manually.

Like others have stated, lots of practice and develop a new muscle memory.

I write with my right hand due to school.

Best of luck.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I don’t have cancer but do have a port on the right side…. It gets used 3x’s a week for about 3 years now. I never really shot a lot of big kickers but since the port, I shoot mostly 223 and a AR-9. I just make sure to keep the butt of the rifle a little more of to the side instead of directly in my shoulder pocket…. It ain’t perfect but I make the best of it.

I also took it as an opportunity to get better with my handguns….. I’m actually getting ready to scope a revolver and start practicing for longer range big hunting.

I didn’t know it was an option at the time, but for sure get it on the left side if possible.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have shot several deer lefthanded because of where they showed up. I didn't feel like I could turn my body without spooking them. Shot one lefthanded last year. Doesn't seem like a big deal with a scoped rifle.

S
OP Offline
S
I'm Trying my tumors are shrinking, next week is round 12 of chemo its working but it's gonna take awhile.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by hardway
I don’t have cancer but do have a port on the right side…. It gets used 3x’s a week for about 3 years now. I never really shot a lot of big kickers but since the port, I shoot mostly 223 and a AR-9. I just make sure to keep the butt of the rifle a little more of to the side instead of directly in my shoulder pocket…. It ain’t perfect but I make the best of it.

I also took it as an opportunity to get better with my handguns….. I’m actually getting ready to scope a revolver and start practicing for longer range big hunting.

I didn’t know it was an option at the time, but for sure get it on the left side if possible.

My problem is my port is already in and I am a recoil junkie as it doesn't bother me at all. I want to shoot some larger calibers so that is why I was thinking about switching sides. Still would be able to shoot larger calibers left handed.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’d get the port swapped sides. That’s just me.

I’ve got my people on notice if fluoroscopy does not reveal a patent route on my left, back me out and revive me. No deal. I’ll take my lumps witu the 179 year old coke bottle glasses iv specialty technician.

Im on my 7 infusion of Keytruda as a mono-therapy via iv infusions. I had a bad time 2 weeks back, low volumetric vascular hence my port order.

Best to you

I’ve already got a 2-lumen cvc on the right side but it’s coming out soon. My vascular doc said 1-ounce loads would be ok for doves but not to go to Argentina 😃.

I was very restrained this past fall having my Savage 10ml-II, I wasn’t gonna pop any cap unless 130 or better whitetail. Didnt have to test that. lol
Didnt need any nasty ass deer meat noway

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Fuggin picc lines suck…. Had one in each arm for about a year before I complained enough to get the port put in…. I was so happy to not have any tubes hanging out of me that I didn’t give a chit what side my port was on lol.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went from left-handed archery to right-handed when an astute instructor noticed I was right eye dominant at about age 25. Awkward at first, but with significant improvement within just a couple days. Had to overcome muscle memory which is relatively easy, while the strength development took about a week.

One might have to go the closed eye or patch route due to your right eye dominance though. Given the time available for rifle shots that might be easy. Scatter gunning though might be more of a challenge.

Good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 04/29/24.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I am terminally right handed.
When I had an implant on my right shoulder, I was looking at having to convert on nearly everything I did.
I tried! I really did! May as well tried knitting with boxing gloves on.
Doc finally told me the shoulder could handle medium to light recoil. No more heavy 12 gauge loads or magnum rifles.
Not a problem! I'm a recoil weenie anyway.
For a rifle, I chose an AR in 6.8mm Rem SPC. It has performed perfectly....so far! Coyotes, feral hogs and deer!
The shotgun was an antique Rem "Sportsman" in 16 gauge.
I wouldn't want to spend a day on a trap/skeet range, but one round of trap OR skeet would be "doable"!

Long ago, I watched a "Monster Bucks" tape. MLB pitcher, Ben something, was a bow hunter. He pitched left handed, but shot his bow right handed. To overcome the dominant eye, he wore an eyepatch on his left eye. Worked for him.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm Trying my tumors are shrinking, next week is round 12 of chemo its working but it's gonna take awhile.

Atta Boy!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (17CalFan, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,532
Posts18,530,949
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.