Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Almost a year later the other drivers insurance has not paid for the rental car, typical deflection about not having rental car insurance and so forth, I’m also about ready to come unglued on our insurance company, seems to me they should be applying some much needed heat to this issue.

A few things:

1) the at-fault driver doesn't need rental coverage to pay for YOUR rental. He only needs it to pay for his own. The other driver's Property Damage Liability coverage pay for your physical damage and your reasonable rental costs.

2) you insurance cannot pursue a claim on your behalf. They are not your legal representative. They can only pursue a claim against the other insurer for reimbursement of what they paid, and your deductrible. If your insurer did not pay for your rental, then you insurance cannot pursue that claim for you against the at-fault driver's insurer.

3) disregard the advice about getting a lawyer. Few lawyers would take that case. They tend to work on a contingency fee basis (they get a part of your recovery). They're not going to waste time on a little claim like that. And paying an attorney hourly to pruse it would cost more than you would recover. If the other insurer won't pay your rental, then file a lawsuit yourself in small claims court against the other driver. His insurer will pay you then. Because it will cost that insurer more to defned the at-fault driver than it would be to just pay your claim.

4) if you don't want to do #3, then write a complaint to your state's bureau of insurance about the at-fault insurer's refusal to pay the claim.

1 member likes this: Kenneth
GB1

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks 10Glocks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Originally Posted by Stickfight
Do you have rental coverage on your insurance?

This is the question. You can't rely on the meth whore who rear ends you to have rental insurance.

I’m going to assume at this point she did not have rental insurance,

But she was at fault, seems to me they should cover all expenses , not to mention the deductible we paid.

I’m at the point where i trust very little, how many riders do you need on a policy?

Uninsured , now rental? What else can they come up with?

I will admit I don't have a ton of experience with this, but as far as I know the way it works is that your insurance company will pay your claims according to your policy, and if the other party is at fault they will pursue their insurance company to get reimbursed. So the easiest way to go is have your policy cover your rental expense rather than it come out of your pocket, which avoids you needing to seek reimbursement from the offending party's insurer.

As it stands, if you paid for the rental yourself you will likely need to seek reimbursement from the other insurer. Even if they are legally obligated to pay you back they will drag it out and make it as difficult for you as they can, that is their business model. Had you had rental coverage that burden would have fallen on your insurer.

Another strategy is to have more than 1 vehicle each and not need to rent if one goes down, but judging from the comments in pretty much every EV thread that is well beyond the means of most here.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Biz van got totaled a few yrs ago a complete schit show with Allstate

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
“”””””””Even if they are legally obligated to pay you back they will drag it out and make it as difficult for you as they can, that is their business model. ””””””””

We totally agree on the dragging feet part,

Are they legally ‘obligated’ is the basis of this thread.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d change insurance companies if they’ve been no help with this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

People in the know, here, are saying its not legally in their wheelhouse,

If the other insurance company knows this, that explains a lot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

People in the know, here, are saying its not legally in their wheelhouse,

If the other insurance company knows this, that explains a lot.

I know someone who filed a claim in your situation with their own insurance company. I thought it was odd but they didn’t have any issue getting their car repaired and a rental. Maybe it’s time to add rental to your policy.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Not much detail here to go on for suggestions, but the State's Insurance commissioners office may be of some assistance

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If the shop said it was a 10 day repair based on the repair hours then the other insurance carrier is only gonna offer 10 days of rental. They generally consider 1 rental day per four hours of repair time plus 3-4 days for the shop / insurance to inspect the damage and get parts. Plus weekends. Legally the responsible driver is gonna owe the reasonable repair time. If you have 25-30 hours on the estimate they are gonna offer no more than about 15-18 days.

All insurance carriers are understaffed and overworked in their claim departments. If they haven’t paid anything at all file a complaint with your state Dept of Insurance. Call every day and pester them till they call you back.

If they paid a portion of it and the delay is on the shop your best bet is to pursue the shop and ask then to cover some of the rental.

No lawyer is gonna take this. They have no money to make unless you have an injury claim and it would take them more work to settle your rental issue than to settle an injury claim.

IC B3

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Girl ran into the back of my step mother. The girl's insurance only covered the amount she was insured for. Step mother made claim with her own insurance and that covered the difference.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BLG
Girl ran into the back of my step mother. The girl's insurance only covered the amount she was insured for. Step mother made claim with her own insurance and that covered the difference.

Clyde
Backasswards

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve4102
I don’t know about living in The Edge of the Map, but here in MN your insurance company pays for the repair on your vehicle, they will then collect damage costs from the other driver or his/her insurance company. They will even get your deductible back, but they will not pay for coverage you not have, in your case a rental car and neither will the other drivers insurance. You cannot collect restitution for coverage you did not pay for.

You can try and sue, but that will cost you money and you will most likely lose.

My Wife had a new driver run into her and total her car back in 10/23. We have USAA and the other driver had All-State. The person at USAA who was handling the claim told us that All-State would pay for a rental if we needed it, but we have spare cars, so we didn't take advantage of their offer.

A rental reimbursement insurance rider only costs a couple dollars per month and I've never carried it because we've always had spare cars, but I have recommended that my kids carry rental reimbursement as they only have their daily driver and would have to pay out of pocket for a rental vehicle. The cost of rental reimbursement insurance over the course of several years would probably be about what the cost of renting a vehicle for a week or so out of pocket would cost.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Kenneth is pulling our leg. No way he’s been out this much money for a year because someone rear ended them. Hmm

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Almost a year later the other drivers insurance has not paid for the rental car, typical deflection about not having rental car insurance and so forth, I’m also about ready to come unglued on our insurance company, seems to me they should be applying some much needed heat to this issue.

A few things:

1) the at-fault driver doesn't need rental coverage to pay for YOUR rental. He only needs it to pay for his own. The other driver's Property Damage Liability coverage pay for your physical damage and your reasonable rental costs.

2) you insurance cannot pursue a claim on your behalf. They are not your legal representative. They can only pursue a claim against the other insurer for reimbursement of what they paid, and your deductrible. If your insurer did not pay for your rental, then you insurance cannot pursue that claim for you against the at-fault driver's insurer.

3) disregard the advice about getting a lawyer. Few lawyers would take that case. They tend to work on a contingency fee basis (they get a part of your recovery). They're not going to waste time on a little claim like that. And paying an attorney hourly to pruse it would cost more than you would recover. If the other insurer won't pay your rental, then file a lawsuit yourself in small claims court against the other driver. His insurer will pay you then. Because it will cost that insurer more to defned the at-fault driver than it would be to just pay your claim.

4) if you don't want to do #3, then write a complaint to your state's bureau of insurance about the at-fault insurer's refusal to pay the claim.

This is exactly right. Follow this advice. The only addition I would make is that you need to reach the other drivers insurance company supervisor if you are not getting anywhere with them. Mention the words "bad faith" and "department of insurance complaint", Get some information on why it took so long to get the vehicle repaired and use the words "supply chain disruption" and "unavailability of parts" if the repair facility confirms that either played a part in the repair delays. .

Last edited by TnBigBore; 05/03/24.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Please everyone, re-read 10Glocks suggestion.

That is the correct answer.

TnBigBore is also correct with the suggestion of 'bad faith' and 'department of insurance complaint'.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 257Bob, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.