Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Casey,

I'm going to tell a story that I may or may not have posted before on the Campfire--which involves both Hodgdon and the Quebec plant, which may indicate to at least some Campfire members that Hodgdon isn't out to maximize profits by buying "cheap" foreign-made powders:

During a previous "powder shortage" around a decade ago, the "Hodgdon" powders made by Australia Defence Industries (ADI) were in short supply not because ADI wasn't making enough of 'em, but because American handloaders were buying up all they could find--sometimes to resell.

ADI was shipping (literally, as in big ships) as much powder as possible to the USA, but there was a bottleneck in Hawaii, where the port got nervous about so many BIG ships full of smokeless powder showing up. Consequently there were delays in moving the ships through the port--and even then their cargo didn't meet U.S. demand.

The rest of this comes directly from one of the Hodgdon people I knew well back then, who insisted I couldn't publish the info. But that was around a decade ago, and he (and everybody else I knew at Hodgdon back then) is now retired.

What eventually happened due to the shipping/production problems was that ADI wanted to raise prices considerably. Instead of paying the extra $$$, Hodgdon approached General Dynamics and asked if they could make temp-resistant powders similar to the most popular ADI/Hodgdon "Extremes." GD said sure--and said they could even improve them by adding a decoppering agent. This resulted in the IMR Endurons, which could naturally be shipped less expensively into the U.S. by rail. (Hodgdon sent me (and other writers) samples of the four Enduron powders, and they worked very well--as many of us reported.)

But the downside of all this is that General Dynamics is NOT only a powder manufacturer. It also produces a bunch of highly technical military products--and also has long-term contracts with various military entities around the world. Producing powder for handloaders is only a small piece of its pie, the reason the production of Enduron IMR powders was suspended during the recent global "troubles": General Dynamics had previous military contracts.

Might also mention that while, yes, General Dynamics produced the majority of IMR powders since WWI, a LOT was also made by DuPont's primary Delaware plant in the U.S. In fact one of the interesting factoids I've run across during my research is when IMR4350 appeared around 1940, handloaders could actually stop by the plant and buy the powder. (This came from an article in American Rifleman. I have a collection of ARs going back to the late 1920s....)

Might also mention than among my collection of powders, both old and new, that I have steel containers of IMR powders made in Canada, Australia and the USA. Those steel canisters are of course now considered antiques, but many were produced around 20 years ago.

There's also a bunch of great historical information on IMR (and other powders) in the several editions of Phil Sharpe's book Complete Guide to Handloading.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
1 member likes this: OSU_Sig
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a great post. It explains the shortage of Varget (ADI2208) that had the Palma shooters gnashing their teeth. Varget is pretty much the standard powder for the 308 Palma folk. ADI messed with the burn rate over the years which caused problems, but it remains a favorite. I don't recall the Enduron line catching on there.

Had I known that Honolulu Harbor was the bottleneck, I'd have organized a fleet to lessen the load offshore so pulling into port would have caused less heartburn. I figure each fishing charter boat would be good for a hundred 5 gallon buckets each!

I didn't know Metal canned IMR were antiques. I'm working my way through some still! Maybe I need to gunbroker them as collectibles!!!

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/07/24.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chris,

Thanks for the observations!

Enduron 4166 was developed as the Varget/H4895 etc. approximate equivalent, and I tested it extensively 10 different rifles for an article in the 2015 Hodgdon Annual Manual. It worked very well in cartridges from the .204 Ruger to .45-70 Springfield. Which is why I bought a good supply of 4166--along with even more 4451--enough that I'm still using 4451 for a lot of my hunting handloads.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by ChrisF
My experiences as a consumer aside, this whole development fascinates me. Couple of questions come to mind;
1) Did Hodgdon ever "manufacture" powders? My recollection is that Bruce Hodgdon got started selling surplus military powders. I know that Hodgdon has expertise in sourcing, storing, distribution and marketing...but have they ever manufactured powder? By my limited knowledge, powders are coming from St Marks in FL, ADI in Au, and various other sources.

Hodgdon hasn't produced any powders except Pyrodex. They've always essentially been a distributor--and so have some other companies.

Western Powders, which Hodgdon also purchased recently, has always been the same sort of company. It started in the 1940s, as a distributor of blasting powders for mining in central Montana. But the son of the guy who started the company inherited Western, he also started distributing handloading powders--including IMRs. (I know this due to knowing that son, Doug Phair, very well.)

Eventually Doug decided that he could do the same thing as Hodgdon, and sell a "Western" brand of powder called Ramshot. Through his connections, he decided a powder manufacturer in Belgium, which like many actual powder makers (not distributors) was already making some powders that would work well for handloaders--despite the fact that the primary powder was designed for both the 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 NATO rounds. This spherical powder was designed to measure very consistently in mass-produced ammo, and also be pretty temp-resistant and burn cleanly--both good thing in automatic military rifles.

This was TAC, and the same Belgian company also produced other powders on the same principles--including Big Game, Hunter, Magnum etc. (Other Ramshot powders have been produced in the same St. Marks plant in Florida that also makes a bunch of powder for other companies.
John,

My last couple of kegs of TAC said "Made in USA." I assume manufacturing of TAC has been transitioned away from Belgium and to a US-based factory? Or is Ramshot (Hodgdon) simply filling excess demand by utilizing manufacturing capacity in other factories to supplement the production capacity of the plant in Belgium? I'm not sure if you have any insight into that situation, but I thought it was interesting to see "Made in USA" on those kegs of TAC.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
How does that not make sense? Blue box '06, 308, 6.5 etc. is still $25 a box. Uncommon stuff like 7x57 is more expensive. It's not some grand conspiracy. Good grief.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by ChrisF
My experiences as a consumer aside, this whole development fascinates me. Couple of questions come to mind;
1) Did Hodgdon ever "manufacture" powders? My recollection is that Bruce Hodgdon got started selling surplus military powders. I know that Hodgdon has expertise in sourcing, storing, distribution and marketing...but have they ever manufactured powder? By my limited knowledge, powders are coming from St Marks in FL, ADI in Au, and various other sources.

Hodgdon hasn't produced any powders except Pyrodex. They've always essentially been a distributor--and so have some other companies.

Western Powders, which Hodgdon also purchased recently, has always been the same sort of company. It started in the 1940s, as a distributor of blasting powders for mining in central Montana. But the son of the guy who started the company inherited Western, he also started distributing handloading powders--including IMRs. (I know this due to knowing that son, Doug Phair, very well.)

Eventually Doug decided that he could do the same thing as Hodgdon, and sell a "Western" brand of powder called Ramshot. Through his connections, he decided a powder manufacturer in Belgium, which like many actual powder makers (not distributors) was already making some powders that would work well for handloaders--despite the fact that the primary powder was designed for both the 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 NATO rounds. This spherical powder was designed to measure very consistently in mass-produced ammo, and also be pretty temp-resistant and burn cleanly--both good thing in automatic military rifles.

This was TAC, and the same Belgian company also produced other powders on the same principles--including Big Game, Hunter, Magnum etc. (Other Ramshot powders have been produced in the same St. Marks plant in Florida that also makes a bunch of powder for other companies.
John,

My last couple of kegs of TAC said "Made in USA." I assume manufacturing of TAC has been transitioned away from Belgium and to a US-based factory? Or is Ramshot (Hodgdon) simply filling excess demand by utilizing manufacturing capacity in other factories to supplement the production capacity of the plant in Belgium? I'm not sure if you have any insight into that situation, but I thought it was interesting to see "Made in USA" on those kegs of TAC.

Most likley, Hodgdon had to prevail upon St.Marks in Florida to start making the latest batches of TAC.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by PeeDeeRiver
How does that not make sense? Blue box '06, 308, 6.5 etc. is still $25 a box. Uncommon stuff like 7x57 is more expensive. It's not some grand conspiracy. Good grief.

It doesn't make sense because the conversation was about skyrocketing costs so if that is the case it would be seen by all manufacturers not just some of them.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Ken_L

It doesn't make sense because the conversation was about skyrocketing costs so if that is the case it would be seen by all manufacturers not just some of them.

And I plainly showed you why that wasn't the case, since you used a specific example of an uncommon cartridge in the US, loaded by a US mfg, and compared it with a fairly common cartridge in Europe, loaded by a European mfg. The comparison was hardly apples to apples. If you compared Prvi .308 to Federal .308, there's only a $4 difference. Apples to apples.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

And I plainly showed you why that wasn't the case, since you used a specific example of an uncommon cartridge in the US, loaded by a US mfg, and compared it with a fairly common cartridge in Europe, loaded by a European mfg. The comparison was hardly apples to apples. If you compared Prvi .308 to Federal .308, there's only a $4 difference. Apples to apples.

To say that 7x57 is uncommon in the US is just ignorant. The 7x57 has been around for over 130+ years and it's been here almost as long. So, if Prvi can manufacturer .308 and 7x57 for less than $20 why can't the other manufacturers? Federal Power-Shok is a lot closer to $30 and not $25 so that's a $10 difference. My point being is that from primers to powder to loaded ammo the price has way outpaced inflation by many manufacturers. Do I think it's a conspiracy no but I do believe there is price gouging going on. If Trump wins in November watch how far a lot of these prices will fall by February when people stop buying. It happened the last time and it will happen again if he is elected.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Because PRVI probably stays tooled up for 8x57 since it was a Yugo staple, and it's a simple switch to 7x57. Prvi also has what is essentially a vertical monopoly on the manufacturing process. All of it comes from Serbia, and they have State funding as they supply the State. Not to mention they aren't exactly in a first world country, and labor is probably dirt cheap. None of this is at all hard to understand. But yeah, those 7x57s are flying off the shelves and US ammo mfgs just misinterpreted the sales data. I just got some Prvi 7.62x39 for $16 a box, Winny white box was $19. No surprises there. I expect third world ammo to be cheaper than US stuff.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here you are wrong again but that won't stop you...

The World Bank classifies Serbia as a middle-income country and its economy is transitioning from being dominated by the state sector to a market-driven model. The service sector accounts for more than half of the country's gross domestic product.

Like I said obviously reading comprehension eludes you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I agree with Paul 7X57 isn't that common but the 30/06 and 308 are.
Even the 7/08 is more popular than the 7X57

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
T
I’ll be interested to see if they make investments in maintaining the facilities and equipment to keep up with demand

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by texagvet23
I’ll be interested to see if they make investments in maintaining the facilities and equipment to keep up with demand
You are not very smart are you?

T
T
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by texagvet23
You are not very smart are you?
Mostly just full of wishful thinking. Just sad that I’ll now have to come up with a new plan for dies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What makes you think lobbying to Hogdon would make them figure out a way to manufacture powder for commercial sale in the US vs their Canadian, European, and Australian suppliers?

Where did I say anything about "lobbying to Hogdon"?

Apparently you have reading comprehension (and spelling) difficulties, like some other Campfire members.

If you really, truly want most smokeless powders to be produced in the USA, then you might suggest that to Hodgdon

Perhaps your writing just sucks?

lobby

verb
lobbied; lobbying
intransitive verb

: to attempt to influence or sway toward a desired action

Last edited by drop_point; 05/09/24.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But bitching about a typo resulting "d" being left out on Hodgdon really gets the point across, buddy.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Here you are wrong again but that won't stop you...

The World Bank classifies Serbia as a middle-income country and its economy is transitioning from being dominated by the state sector to a market-driven model. The service sector accounts for more than half of the country's gross domestic product.

Like I said obviously reading comprehension eludes you.

My reading comprehension is just fine. Your assessment of reality is what it lacking. I'm sure a country just a couple decades out of a brutal communist regime followed by civil war is on par with the US standard of living and wage rate. Or not. Their average income works out to $782 a month, which you could have gathered from that same Wiki that you Googled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[img]https://forum.accurateshooter.com/attachments/1715264492010-png.1553446/[/img]

Powder Valley
4h ·
FYI – we have just received the following message from Vista Outdoors (the parent company of Alliant Powders):
“Due to the worldwide shortage of nitrocellulose, the Vista Outdoor supply agreement for the sale of Alliant Powder canisters has been suspended for an unknown period. At this time, we have no timeline for the fulfillment and will be canceling outstanding Alliant orders in our system.
Representatives will provide updates and coordinate new orders based on availability.”
We have heard mixed messages from various powder suppliers about the availability of nitrocellulose, and therefore powder, over the past several months. This is one Manufacturer’s analysis of the situation. We are posting this so you can have all the information we have and draw whatever conclusions are right for you.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My question is if prices are being set due to skyrocketing costs than how can PPU afford to sell loaded ammunition for less than what some want for just brass? I bought 20 rounds of PPU 7x57 Mauser with 139 soft point bullets at $19.97. If I tried to purchase this from Federal they would be $50.00. That's too much of a cost difference IMHO to be skyrocketing costs.

Because PPU primarily produces ammo for militaries and some of the components they use are purchased and loaded in far higher quantities than most sporting ammo. No comparison between PPU ammo and say, Nosler ammo loaded with Partitions.

As a handloader many non-handloading folks often ask me, “How much money do you save by reloading?”. My answer is “None if you want to compare my handloads to CorLokt/Silvertip/Fusion (or PPU) ammo, but I’m not making cheap ammo, I’m making premium ammo that’s an even better fit for my rifles than the factory $45-$60 a box premium stuff.”
And I don’t even mention the thousands of dollars of reloading tools I have……. blush

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.