Print Thread
Hop To
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Under custom rifles I mentioned Mr Sisk’s book Selecting & Ordering a Custom Hunting Rifle.
I bought a copy from Mule Deer’s website. I am really pleased that I did.

It is comprised of chapters written by Johnny B, his much better half, Phil S, as well as Mr Sisk. It should be on every rifle lovers bookshelf.

The material is well organized and thoughtfully written. There are valuable nuggets that can be found for even the most experienced.

Wish I had it when I was 14.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RinB
Wish I had it when I was 14.

Did they even have books back then Rick? grin

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The bible has been around quite a while Scotty. :-)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The bible has been around quite a while Scotty. :-)

Good point PF!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or you could make your own…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dang, Shrapnel, you have some nice stuff!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[quote=shrapnel]Or you could make your own…

Ah, great advice--IF you actually "build your own." Didn't know you're a stockmaker....

Also didn't know you know about "building" every variety of custom rifle--not just the kind you like....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[quote=shrapnel]Or you could make your own…

Ah, great advice--IF you actually "build your own." Didn't know you're a stockmaker....

Also didn't know you know about "building" every variety of custom rifle--not just the kind you like....

John

I took it to mean you could build your own custom rifle book.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, that's what I also think Kirk means...partly with his tongue firmly in his cheek. Or at least that's what I hope....

But to my knowledge he's had custom rifles built by one guy--though could be wrong. The rest of his custom rifles are second-hand.

The Sisk book is written by people who build custom rifles, or by those who've owned many custom rifle built by various makers--with lots of details on barrels, actions, stocks, etc. etc.

If you think Kirk's book would provide the same sort of knowledge, then go ahead and order one....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, that's what I also think Kirk means...partly with his tongue firmly in his cheek. Or at least that's what I hope....

But to my knowledge he's had custom rifles built by one guy--though could be wrong. The rest of his custom rifles are second-hand.

The Sisk book is written by people who build custom rifles, or by those who've owned many custom rifle built by various makers--with lots of details on barrels, actions, stocks, etc. etc.

If you think Kirk's book would provide the same sort of knowledge, then go ahead and order one....

If you want one, it will be hard to do as it is a first edition single edition. The purpose of the book is to point out that with today’s technology, you can create your own book and feature your collection, and that you have the opportunity to have something of your own. It isn’t always about what someone else does…

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kirk,

Yeah, I know very well what can be done in book publishing these days.

But you apparently don't grasp that's not anything close to the point of Charlie's book....

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am quite sure that this book was not about how/being able to write your own book. I've no interest in that at all. But for anyone who thinks writing a book is easy, then go write one and report back. I expect the amount of time and effort will be reflected pretty easy by those who read it.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
1 member likes this: rainshot
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kirk,

Yeah, I know very well what can be done in book publishing these days.

But you apparently don't grasp that's not anything close to the point of Charlie's book....

John
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I am quite sure that this book was not about how/being able to write your own book. I've no interest in that at all. But for anyone who thinks writing a book is easy, then go write one and report back. I expect the amount of time and effort will be reflected pretty easy by those who read it.
Charlie

Understood gentleman, no meaning of trivializing your work as a writer but the title stated Custom which can relate to either a book or rifles. Mine was a failed attempt to show that a person could have their own book customized to their personal collection. One person understood, so I guess it wasn’t a complete flop.

In addition, I might also mention another member of the Campfire, Steven Dodd Hughes that is both a writer and custom gun maker of the first order. Not nearly as common on the Campfire, but equally accomplished as a writer as well as a Custom Gun Maker. It has been my pleasure to know both Steven and John and I have benefited from both of their contributions to the shooting industry…

1 member likes this: jwp475
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
But for anyone who thinks writing a book is easy, then go write one and report back.
Charlie

I learned some time ago that it’s a lot easier to read a book than to write one.

Mathew 22: 37-39

1 member likes this: jwp475

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,281
Posts18,525,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.