rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Fill in the blank.

Dunstan Chestnut saplings
Grapes
Persimmon saplings

Goddam tomatoes are gonna be worth 75 bucks a pound by the time I finish building Fort Knox around the garden. Cork saggin' mofos.

Last edited by rlott; 05/09/24.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hosta plants . Down to the dirt.
My neighbor across the street plants over 200 tomato plants a year. Five strand electric fence around his garden every year.
Nothing funnier than a small deer getting acquainted with that fence.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Deer eat the crap out of almost everything in the yard. I fence prized Jap maples, Rhododendrons, etc. One plant they ignore is ajuga ground over.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maryjeewana plants, and now keep coming back for more, but there ain't none.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
My neighbor across the street plants over 200 tomato plants a year. Five strand electric fence around his garden every year.

The bastards will try anything, but hostas have no chance. IME its their top favorite snack.

They hit my phlox in the spring, red twig dogs and viburnum in summer/fall, and the damned holly in the winter.

SOB's

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Eat the deer . Problem solved.

1 member likes this: fuzzytail
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Eat the deer . Problem solved.

The problem here is there's a season and a limit. Otherwise we'd mow those [bleep] down like rats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They would eat my bell pepper plants if I had some out this spring.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We high fenced the garden.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My peach trees and plum trees. Down to the ground. They don’t bother my pear trees.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fence the whole damn thing. Took me a couple weeks to do an acre. Grow whatever the F you want. F the deer.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a good friend who had a big farm. He told me once that that year he had lost a bunch of money for crop damage from deer and other critters. Didn’t bother him a bit!
He said he considered the loss as rent, and was happy to pay it!
I have known some farmers who are constantly bitching. Many of them kill dozens every year for crop damage.
It’s really refreshing to talk to someone like my friend, who thinks of it as rent!😎
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had 2 of 6 peach trees ate into the ground this spring. Was outside on porch a couple weeks ago drinking coffee, young doe comes out munching on food plot. All was good until she headed for the remaining trees. I had to stand up and yell at her to move on. Damn chocolate lab laying at my feet looked at me like ‘that’s just Daisy why are you yelling’

CK
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only thing in my yard they won’t bite is lavender.

They take a bite of stuff they don’t like, if they’ve never seen it before. 25 new deer every year taking one bite is enough.

No bites out of the lavender, ever.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Hostas are like crack to deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They ate half my cucumber plants and near all of the jalapeños, bells, and habaneros. All in the last 3-4 days. Eat every damn leaf on the plant.

☠️

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We used to grow untouched urban gardens here until we had a really tough winter with the agencies and individuals putting out feed all winter. Subsequently, they've never left, and unfenced gardening is a waste of time. For sure cage any new trees until they have a bole exceeding about an 8-inch diameter. Presently, numbers are down about 60%, but the survivors are still sufficient for devastating fruit trees and flower and vegetable gardens.

They're really fond of our apricots too, and all of our fruit trees exhibit about a 6 ft tall browse line.

Last edited by 1minute; 05/09/24.

1Minute
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Put raised beds in the kennel

Dog don’t care

Deer stay away

Does not work if dog is a digger.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Deer eat vegetables.

You eat the deer.

Classic win-win.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We used to have some goats. We had a buck that was a master escape artist. He'd get through anything until I did this. I had some old 52" x 16' cattle panels. I hung them from insulators on wood fence posts, and jumped a wire from the electric fence. THAT stopped him. For deer, you'd need to raise them some. I don't know how high you can get them before they can slip under them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Used a mineral tub full of potting soil. Carefully planted some pecans.
I had 8 come up and set out 6 of the best ones in the front yard! 😁!
I very carefully and religiously watered those little fellas for two years!
Noticed one looked sickly, then dropped it's leaves and died!
WTH!?
Then another.
DAMNED GOPHERS WERE EATING THE ROOTS!
Trapped the crap out those buggers! Only two of the 6 trees remain! 😖

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Rlott: I get both Mule Deer and Whitetailed Deer in my yard and they eat everything from Pine needles to Rhubarb leaves!
We gave up with ground flowers and elevated flower planters and even hanging flower pots - the Deer get to them all.
The VarmintWife even bought "plastic flowers" to adorn our planters and baskets and the Deer pull them outa the soil and walk away with them and spit them out.
To tell the truth "I" would MUCH rather have the Mule Deer and Whitetails in my yard than flowers.
My Deer even reach up and knock down my bird feeders and eat the seeds!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I figure I need to get a deer to make up for what they ate that I planted.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Moose are the problem here. They like cold climate crops, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels. Also pumpkins. Neighbors have apple trees. Have to have a fence around each tree.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We have a pretty little creek as the back border of our yard. Big maple, willow, ash, mulberry, crabapple trees and lilac and cranberry bushes border the creek banks. From that creek bank to the road in front of the house is the War Zone. For the last nine years I’ve fought to try to have a few decorative plants and flowers. Going to throw in the towel after this year. Can’t keep ahead of the rabbits and deer.

A damn ‘coon just tipped over my yard waste barrel…why? Nothing in there but twigs and dead flowers. The Vartarg is sitting next to the fireplace. If we were back on the farm, that coon would be hurtin’!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

The bastards will try anything, but hostas have no chance. IME its their top favorite snack.

They hit my phlox in the spring, red twig dogs and viburnum in summer/fall, and the damned holly in the winter.

SOB's

They never bother my hostas, and I can't explain why.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
They ate on some of my wife’s Hostas a few years ago when they were newly planted. Don’t seem to like the mature Hostas as well.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Deer ate 120 ft of corn into ground last year. Plus 2/3rds of 240 ft of green beans. Initially thought it was coons until the green leaves started disappearing off climbing beans 3 ft up in the air. Electric fence for the garden this year...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I get one or two of them in the yard occasionally. They nibble on stuff, but Liquid Fence seems to work pretty well, at least I didn’t lose any tulips this year.

We lose more stuff, mostly newly sprouted veggies, to those obnoxious robins than to anything else. They just can’t resist a patch of soft earth, so we have to net or cage almost everything until it grows a good bit. Why anyone like those noisy, pushy bastards is beyond me. It sure ain’t because they’re pretty….

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I get one or two of them in the yard occasionally. They nibble on stuff, but Liquid Fence seems to work pretty well, at least I didn’t lose any tulips this year.

We lose more stuff, mostly newly sprouted veggies, to those obnoxious robins than to anything else. They just can’t resist a patch of soft earth, so we have to net or cage almost everything until it grows a good bit. Why anyone like those noisy, pushy bastards is beyond me. It sure ain’t because they’re pretty….

50 years ago on a road trip with my mom to visit my uncle in Lake Charles. We stopped along the way to visit a historic site set up to honor Audubon. I still remember a display showing one of his drawings or painting of a robin. Part of the display was a neatly typed note stating that Audubon considered robin breast to be some of the tastiest meat from song birds in the U.S.

No doubt if the historic site still exists, that particular comment is no longer present...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Robins taste like dove.....................or so I've been told.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Deer won’t eat as much as a moose…

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Y'all ain't feeding that poor moose enough. Gotta fill it out to fill the freezer...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have very little problems with deer, except they nip my baby oak trees. We have a lot more problems with raccoons and to some degree , robins. We have many mullberry trees in out back yard. If we dont get them, the coons and robins will. About 17 yrs. ago I planted about 100 white pines to replace the famr land.. Now they are re seeding and I was very happy to see about 40 little pines coming up. I come back this spring and almost all have been bitten off. It is surely the rabbits . I love rabbit hunting , so I make brush piles out of the hybrid poplar branches when I cut down the poplars for firewood. I will put a bucket over them this fall. A bit off subject , but I had so many rabbits on my 2 ac. of brush years back, and every year there were less rabbits. I was told in the small game thread that they need more salt , so I put out a salt block and they are coming back now.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't any of you have dogs?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I ripped up our entire flower bed when we moved in, on one side I planted 6 oakleaf hydrangeas. They find them every year. 6ft and blooming one day, still 6feet the next without any leaves. Just found them again the other night but didn't hit them too bad. Irish springs around the plants doesn't work, the spray repellent can be a pain to constantly apply.

I've planted at least 24-30 azaleas around the yard, I think I had only one of my natives bloom this year, they nibble on the tips and I never have buds to bloom the next year. My encores halfway bloom since they can throughout the season but my natives almost never bloom due to the browsing.

Mexican petunias are a lost cause too, they keep them mowed down. They all but walk on my front porch to get to whats in my flower pots.

I've probably put out 50 daffodil bulbs around the yard, they'll come up but they eat the flowers as soon as they emerge.

Don't even get me started on my muscadine vine.

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/24.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Everything has to eat something. Or it dies.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by killerv
I ripped up our entire flower bed when we moved in, on one side I planted 6 oakleaf hydrangeas. They find them every year. 6ft and blooming one day, still 6feet the next without any leaves. Just found them again the other night but didn't hit them too bad. Irish springs around the plants doesn't work, the spray repellent can be a pain to constantly apply.

I've planted at least 24-30 azaleas around the yard, I think I had only one of my natives bloom this year, they nibble on the tips and I never have buds to bloom the next year. My encores halfway bloom since they can throughout the season but my natives almost never bloom due to the browsing.

Mexican petunias are a lost cause too, they keep them mowed down. They all but walk on my front porch to get to whats in my flower pots.

I've probably put out 50 daffodil bulbs around the yard, they'll come up but they eat the flowers as soon as they emerge.

Good on you for feeding the deer, although it isn't recommended. lol

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Deerhunter78

Good point. Outside dog(s) will usually chase any critter out of the yard or kill it.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
We have two Labs that help[but we're gone too much].

Over the past 2 months we've been in Tenn almost every Thur-Mon.

The deer moved right in. You can see where they've hammered everything growing in the buffet we've planted them.

I only 'try' tomatoes anymore.

50' long by 10' wide, metal T-posts with 5' mesh wired to it and tent staked every 3-4' in the ground.
I make a skinny V for entry/exit with a couple of small chains clipped across the opening.
It slows the garden predation down but doesn't completely stop it.

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Four legged appetites..........

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This is our visitor, neighbor's 1200 pound black angus bull that went through our five strand fence, broke three 6" fence posts off. When I got him back in his fence, repaired my fence, then went back to our house, that big bugger damned near beat me back to my house. He has a bad habit of grabbing a mouth full of grass and pulling it up by the roots, leaves a basket ball size hole to the dirt with every bite.

They have an electric fence but do not keep it up. Already told them, making steaks is the next step.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Well, I used to keep a feeder out, nice to watch and fun for the boys. But I stopped because it kept them around even more.

As far as dogs, yes I have two, deer are so used to dogs in our neighborhood it means nothing. My gsp will go all the way to the end of the efence and a deer be eating corn 10 yards away ignoring her. It's like they know they cant get out. She'll also eat every muscadine she can reach.

Last edited by killerv; 05/10/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Well, I used to keep a feeder out, nice to watch and fun for the boys. But I stopped because it kept them around even more.

As far as dogs, yes I have two, deer are so used to dogs in our neighborhood it means nothing. My gsp will go all the way to the end of the efence and a deer be eating corn 10 yards away ignoring her. It's like they know they cant get out. She'll also eat every muscadine she can reach.

Yeah, I know. I was just funnin.

I planted 240 new trees shorty after we moved in. That I know of, I only had deer try to bother them once. I hollered at them and the dog chased them out of the yard. Now the damn rabbits are another story. They have all but killed my mature apple tree. I normally use .22 lr to take care of them but on occasion, it's fun to take their heads off with the 22-250.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The only squirrels we have here are introduced Fox squirrels. They're a big menace in the fruit trees but at the same time, they spend many hours eating fallen maple seeds that would otherwise sprout. It saves me from having to cut them off by the hundreds.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
EVERYTHING. And not just the deer. Elk and moose join in on the feast. We cannot grow anything that some critter doesn't eat. The little bit of stubble left is eaten by jackrabbits or cottontails.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's money to be made walking your pet mountain lion around urbanites yards once a week.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rapier
They have an electric fence but do not keep it up. Already told them, making steaks is the next step.

It charged me, I had no choice but to shoot.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Gardenias, daffodils, plumeria leaves and “baby spiders” off our spider plants. The plumerias have a milky sap so we were really surprised when the deer went after them.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Deerhunter78

Four of them and the deer seem to know exactly where they are at all times. I can shine a light in the woods and see 5 or 6 sets of eyes 20 feet on the safe side of the efence.

Its like running a prison where the inmates are constantly trying to break in instead of out.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only squirrels we have here are introduced Fox squirrels. They're a big menace in the fruit trees but at the same time, they spend many hours eating fallen maple seeds that would otherwise sprout. It saves me from having to cut them off by the hundreds.

Those SOB's eat the siding on our house!
The first time we re-stained the house, I am thinking that exterior stains are now soy based?

Shoot every one of them that comes in the yard now.

FJB & FJT
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Winter or summer! Added a couple rows of blocks to the iffy corner yesterday- planting days are almost here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

rlott Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
We have a pretty little creek as the back border of our yard. Big maple, willow, ash, mulberry, crabapple trees and lilac and cranberry bushes border the creek banks. From that creek bank to the road in front of the house is the War Zone. For the last nine years I’ve fought to try to have a few decorative plants and flowers. Going to throw in the towel after this year. Can’t keep ahead of the rabbits and deer.

A damn ‘coon just tipped over my yard waste barrel…why? Nothing in there but twigs and dead flowers. The Vartarg is sitting next to the fireplace. If we were back on the farm, that coon would be hurtin’!

Speaking of coons my buddy fried a turkey last year and then put the oil in a 5gal bucket lined with a contractor bag then put it in the back of his truck to take to the county dumpster. That night coons got in there and knocked the bucket over. Next morning he had greasy coon prints all over his truck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Rapier
This is our visitor, neighbor's 1200 pound black angus bull that went through our five strand fence, broke three 6" fence posts off. When I got him back in his fence, repaired my fence, then went back to our house, that big bugger damned near beat me back to my house. He has a bad habit of grabbing a mouth full of grass and pulling it up by the roots, leaves a basket ball size hole to the dirt with every bite.

That is a really cool looking yard.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 1minute, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 12,567 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,369
Posts18,547,149
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.