Hop To
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks,
I've got an older Contender that T/C converted to easy open many years ago.
Problem is it won't open. I removed the forend and barrel, then reassembled it - still won't open.
It's been at least 20 years since I shot this pistol. Any help out there?
Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Semper Fidelis,
Soup

"Down South 68-69"

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I had this same problem back in March this year and asked for advice on this forum. Lots of helpful suggestions were offered. The following paragraph describes how I solved the problem.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. i was able to get the Contender action open this afternoon following advice from a former TC employee. Apparently, I was being too gentle. He said the factory guys when they encountered this problem years ago would carefully slam the trigger guard / opening lever against a padded work bench. That worked for me. The toughest part of the process was getting the hinge pin back in while the action was locked. Never again will I do that.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
First if the gun was functioning before, Remove the forend and grip and soak it in solvent over night. Then see if it will work.

Two items on the Contender Gen1, if the oil in the gun has not turned to glue, the locking lug adjustment is done from the bottom not from the top, with 600 to 800 wet/dry with oil on a flat surface like marble or preferably glass. Next, the activation pin, looks like a dun-bell that works the barrel locking lugs with the tigger guard sloped arms, could be bent. If bent toward the muzzle, the sloped arms of the trigger guard that move the pin and thus the locking lugs forward will not unlock the barrel.

Either the pin is bent or the lugs are stuck by being jammed under the frame locking surface.

Take the forearm off, drive the barrel swivel pin out with a dowel or brass flat punch, remove the barrel by lifting up and pulling forward. Take the block retainer pin out of the block, that holds the locking in, push the lugs down slightly so they do no not go flying, remove the lugs, actuator pin and the coil spring. Clean and examine. Then straighten the actuator pin if necessary and take about 1/2 of one thousandths off the bottom of the locking lugs, on a flat.then Clean and oil, reassemble as normal and try the close, lock and cock hammer to check function the internal safety, then open. Repeat until you get 100% proper function including the internal safety.

Been repairing contenders for about 40 years.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the detailed fix!!!
Semper Fidelis
Soup

"Down South 68-69"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 3,376 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,739
Posts18,535,320
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.