Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Great shooting and thanks for sharing!

For my finger length, I like the size and power of the Glock 22/23 for an outdoors gun. I could see a 20/21 being a great rough-country gun for those who they fit well.

Same here. One alternative- Springfield XDM 45 & 10mm. Or the S&W M&P. Both fit my hand better. Although, I have another Glock 30S headed my way. I plan on doing a grip reduction and stipple job on it.

Last edited by Rugernut; 05/13/24.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475
No Less Bauer 1911s are not loose and they run and are exceptionally accurate.

Revolvers are not less prone to function in a dirty environment, infact they will not run with semi autos in those conditions

Sorry, but this statement sounds contradictory.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Revolvers are not less prone to function in a dirty environment, infact they will not run with semi autos in those conditions

Just guessing but I don’t think he meant to use a double negative. I was wondering myself.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McInnis

Just guessing but I don’t think he meant to use a double negative. I was wondering myself.

That's what I'm guessing too, McInniss.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Semi autos are more reliable in a dirty environment, this is a proven fact

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Great shooting and thanks for sharing!

For my finger length, I like the size and power of the Glock 22/23 for an outdoors gun. I could see a 20/21 being a great rough-country gun for those who they fit well.

I have been carrying a P365 with 147 grain hard cast bullets on my hiking trips. We often hike in places where the more socially liberal man bun and rainbow crowd are often seen hiking. A concealable 40SW would be interesting, I had a 9mm shield and was not impressed so the 40 shield would not interest me, the G23 MOS is interesting but not sure it would ride IWB as well as the P365 nor offer that much more than a 147 grain 9mm. As much as I want to, I just cannot carry my G20 on these (might see a black bear) soiree's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
That Gen 5 G21 is such a soft shooting gun it is truly amazing.

G21s have long been known to have soft recoil as compared to a 1911. But the Gen 5 takes it to another level. I was out shooting a while back and ran some generic ball ammo through the gun, confirming the RDO was on. The recoil was so soft I thought something was wrong, so I stepped over to the chronograph and ran a couple rounds through the it. Nope. They were typical factory 230 grain ball, which was advertised as 800 FPS, but was really doing about 750. It felt like it was going in the 600s.

Shooting the big 250 grain flatpoints through the G21 Gen 5 is eye opening in the way the gun absorbs the recoil. That gun is absolutely the softest shooting .45 I have ever shot, hands down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Optics on a self defense pistol are stupid.
Dumb post!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Friends,

I was out doing some testing of loads and decided to run a couple of 6 shot drills with the 9mm 148 grain +P hardcast flatpoint, and the .45 ACP 250 grain hardcast flatpoint that I produce.

I was using a Glock 19 and a Glock 21 for the drills. BTW, the velocity for the loads are 1100 FPS for the 9mm and 925 FPS for the .45 ACP.

I was shooting at a steel plate that I had brought along. I managed to leave my stand at home but propped it up with the arm that connects to the stand. When hammering on it with the .45 it was falling over and the last round went over it as the plate fell.

The results

With the heavy .45 250 grain +Ps in the G21:

.43 was the first shot.
1.56 was the last shot.

So 1.13 seconds for 6 shots.

Bear in mind that I don't shoot competition anymore and I am not as fast as I used to be, and I didn't do any warm ups. But I figure that was good enough.

With the little Glock 19 using the 148 grain +P flat points:

.55 reaction time to first shot.
1.57 was the 6th shot.
So 1.02 seconds for 6 shots.

I ran the G19 again, and finished at 1.58, so it was pretty obvious that that was where my "window" was for getting fast hits.

What was interesting (to me) was that there was basically a 1/10th of a second difference in time between the heavy 250 grain .45 +Ps and the 9mm 148 +Ps. The .45s definitely have more recoil, but for six shots, 1/10th of a second really is not something I am going to be concerned about. Bearing in mind that I have put a LOT of heavy loads through G21s and am used to shooting them, so that is a factor.

Either will work and I will continue to use both. It will just depend on the circumstances of where I am going and what my needs are at that time.
Great shooting my friend and great info!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Les makes one of the tightest 1911s out there and are as accurate, if not more so than any other semi-custom 1911. Ive owned them all and Ive put them all to the test. Time and again the baers were the most accurate out to 100yds

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Semi autos are more reliable in a dirty environment, this is a proven fact

So you did mean to say that revolvers are less prone to function in a dirty environments. That’s what we thought.

Kentucky Ballistics has a fun to watch YouTube channel. I saw them do a torture test with a Smith and Wesson model 500. It consisted of dipping the revolver in water and seeing if it would fire. His torture test for Glocks were feezing one in ice for 100 days, burying it in mude for 100 days, etc. sometimes he had to really force the slide to chamber a round but he got them to fire.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Friends,

Was out yesterday doing some T&E stuff and took a bit of time to run some loads through some various guns. Ran some 200 grain Bear/Predator loads through my Gen 5 Glock 20.

Started shooting some relatively slow fire groups at about 10 yards and just shooting as soon as my front sight was where it needed to be. I kept getting faster and faster.

On the last target, you can see where I completely had the wheels fall off. Lost track of the front sight and got shooting faster than I could get a good sight picture. It showed on the target too..

Slowing down probably a 1/10 or 2/10s of a second got me back to getting my hits again on the next target. Good reminder for me.

Every once in a while I need to re-establish what my "no-miss" pace is by pushing it until I go over the edge, then backing it up a bit until I find the spot where I am back in control and getting all my hits.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 300_savage, 264mag, 24 invisible), 14,477 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,964
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.