Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Art,

I think I have a pic or 2 that I can post. The Boy deserves his "props".

Chris

NRA Life Member

"All hunters should be nature lovers"
~Theodore Roosevelt~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Pics are always good!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Art way too cool!

Any idea of what kind of a count it takes to get your fly down the 30'?

Also any chance you have a pic of the bug?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mark
The boat and tide are always moving at least a little bit so each drag is different. Lots of times you fail to get to where the fish are before getting blown off. That's why we use lead head jigs most times. On the flattest days, or in the shallowest water we try the fly rods for fun. Counting would be lost pretty quick because there is really nothing to repeat.

But it does take a while... wink

Will be taking some pictures later and I will throw a couple out for youo.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thx-duh I never thought about bumping a jig

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As to something different on a fly rod, I've scored several coot, 3 grebe, and 1 duck. I've hooked 2 beaver. Never had a chance of the first as it was trout gear. On the second, I was contemplating a landing procedure with steelhead gear (9 weight) when he came off. That one was about 12 minute fight. I had him on the topmost fly on a 3 fly daisey chain, so he was hooked up on a 15 lb leader.

Just where does one grab one of those beasts if you're mid-stream without a net? 1Minute

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
AKGrayling hooked a muskrat that went out of his way to take a dry fly last summer. The float tube was looking like a bad idea until the 'rat broke off!

[Linked Image]

This is the basic bunny fly tied with a bit of weight and the eyes for sinking speed. You can make them sink too fast for your line and that causes lost bites and snags due to loss of a straight line...
art

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Art,

As promised, a bit late though.

Riley's wares. Nice stuff. As I learn more about fly fishing, I will be ordering more.

[Linked Image]

Some Bass my Dad caught on some of Riley's flies. I skunked.

[Linked Image]

One, Sheila, my wife caught (not on flies)

[Linked Image]

Stephen, my youngest with some pike. He needs a haircut!

[Linked Image]

Chris

NRA Life Member

~Theodore Roosevelt~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great pics, they make me suddenly wish spring was here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen to that!

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Chris
Very cool pictures... Funny how dead fish can make kids smile! No need to Sampson Stephen; he could never hold up that heavy stringer if you whack his hair off! wink

For a year we lived on Lake Champlain. A parade ground, RR tracks and a fringe of trees between the house and the lake. That looks like what I remember of the area. The pike spawned in the flooded brush on a small penninsula and stalking them was pretty cool.

But I do not remember the bass except as rarities.

Annual trip to same place IIRC? Looks like the thing of great memories...
art

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Art,

Good memory.... its our annual trip to Champlain, Vermont side in Swanton, just across from Rouse's Point in NY. In this part of Champlain, there are plenty of Smallies as well as largemouth. Enough to support a fairly large bass tournament.

Its only January, and the kids have already asked about "fish camp", Stephen every day for the past 3!

Stephen is a "Sampson"! 4 years old and 53 pounds of muscle and laughter. A good combo.

Chris

NRA Life Member

~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You likely cannot imagine the damage you are doing Stephen and the others by NOT setting them up on a pool filled with humpies! wink Might ruin fishing for him permanently.
art

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and he does look mighty happy!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
You likely cannot imagine the damage you are doing Stephen and the others by NOT setting them up on a pool filled with humpies! wink Might ruin fishing for him permanently.
art

In order avoid any further trauma, I will strive to improve my parenting skills. Can't permit their fishiness to wain grin

NRA Life Member

~Theodore Roosevelt~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
DFYS reportable in this state... wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 67 invisible), 16,972 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,189
Posts18,543,388
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.