Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey guys !I have seen a lot of talk about AR's on the board as of late , and I wanted to get my foot in the door . [Linked Image]<P>I just got my Savage modle 10 fp , and weaver grand slam scope (6-20x40) , but I got the bug . I want "want = NEED" a AR15 or something along that line .<P>I am looking for a cost effective AR15 style rifle . I would like to spend no more than $800.00-$900.00 (without scope) .<P>I don't expect it to shoot MOA's at 500 yard or any thing , but MOA's at 100 yards would be great , and I could deal with hitting a 2-3 inch target at 100 yards .<P>I have been looking at a M17S bullpup .<BR>Dose any one know any thing about this rifle ?<P>Would i be better off just saveing a few hundred more , and getting a real AR15 ?<P>I know NOTHING about semi-autos , so if someone could put me on the right track I would be in your det .<P>BTW- can you still get high compasity <BR>( 20-30 round) mags , or did Mr. Klinton mess that up for us too ? I love to cruse the gun shows , but I never looked for any thing thing like that. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]<P>Regards: treeratkiller<P><p>[This message has been edited by treeratkiller (edited February 08, 2001).]

GB1

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tree rat killa,<BR>For the money at around $800.00 retail,the Bushmaster E2 is tough to beat.Do some shopping and you might find them for around $750.00.The Bushy E3 is a great option Around $850.00 as it has the flat top with removeable carry handle and conventional fron sight,that way you could shoot opens and with optics.<BR>Your accuacy expectations are low however.<BR>Typically the Bushy's with chrome bores will hold around 1.5MOA with good ball ammo all the way out to 500m if you mind your wind.<BR>With good handloads,and proper bullets, EXPECT sub MOA.<BR>Proper optics and mounts are a key though,steer clear of the bargain econo scopes and cheapo magazine ad mounts.<BR>A good rule of thumb is that if Brownells carries something it can be trusted.<BR>The Colt QD scope mounts aren't bad at all,and can be had for around 50 bucks at times.<BR>After mounts and optics a good trigger is a must,but will set you back a C-note and then installation/fitting.Dont scrimp here,have a reputable 'Smith do the work and get it right the first time and save lots of headaches.Jewel,accuracy speaks,and JP enterprises all make what I consider first class triggers.If you are going to shoot DCM or service rifle competition be aware that trigger minimums are enforced and you would be well served with a CLE(Frank White)2 stage trigger through Bushmaster.<BR>Actually,purchasing an AR is a slipery slope,simply because of all the options you will suddenly have available tempting you constantly.<BR>Magazines in 20 or 30 round capacity can still be had and are commonly from $15.00-$45.00 depending on make.<BR>I prefer the Colt 20's and 30's,then Military contract 30's with the green followers,and Orlites from Israel with the dust shield removed on the early units.<BR>Good luck and if you need anything holler!<BR>E4E<BR>

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks E4E<P>I have been doing a little looking and reading sence I last posted , and I think I have a better idea of what I want .<P>I have put the M17 bullpup out of the running , and I think I have it down to 3 or 4 rifles that I would like .<P>Now to see what someone that has an AR thinks . The 3 that I have it down to are the E2S Dissapator , the E2S shorty 16" , and the E2S "I think" with the 20" barrel .<P>Whitch one would you pick if you had the choice ? <P>I my self really like the looks of the E2S shorty 16" . I wish I could get on bushmaster web site "it seems to be down" . Right now I am getting most of my info , and pic.s off the online gun aution .<P>BTW- are you a member of the AR15.com forum ?<P>If not its a good one !!! The add. is <A HREF="http://www.ar15.com:1111/" TARGET=_blank>www.ar15.com:1111/</A><P>Thanks again for the help !<P>Regards: treeratkiller<p>[This message has been edited by treeratkiller (edited February 10, 2001).]

E4E Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Treeratkiller,<BR>The 16" shorty's are handy and fun for tactical type stuff,but suffer velocity loss with the short barrel.The 20"E2s is my bread and butter,and would recommend it over any other for a first AR.Remeber that the rifle is "Modular",so that you can later just mount up a different configured upper and go play the way you want to on that day.<BR>Where the heck are you at In Illinois?<BR>How far are you from the Border of Mich.?<BR>If you are close Get in the truck and swing by so we can corrupt you properly!<BR>What will you be doing with the AR will dictate it's form.Gimme some particulars will ya!<BR>E4E<P>------------------<BR>Remove the mechanical variables,and then you can only blame yourself!

My Tractor ain't sexy!
My Rifle however, has issues with the matter.
The wife Definately ain't cornfused!
Good thing I have a Dog to come home to!!!!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Treeratkiller, <BR>Find a club nearby and join. Ask around first and see which clubs have the AR shooters. Hang out at the range and sooner or later someone with an AR will be shooting. Probably sooner if it's like my club. Find out what he's got and what accuracy he's getting. Someone with a big honkin' 16x scope is likely to be serious about accuracy. <BR>The chances are good he'll just hand you the rifle and a magazine and tell you to knock yourself out. By the time the mag's dry you are gonna' be hooked, boy. <P>Talker<BR>

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.