Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I was hijacking that other thread, so I thought I'd post this for you. here.

Here's a few of recipes for the Alabama white dipping sauce. or as some call it White BBQ sauce.

From Food.com and they claim this is Big Bobs recipe...it aint even close:

1 quart mayonnaise
3/4 quart apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Prepared horseradish
Lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine all in a blender or food processor.

Another one...I've never tried this one:

1 /2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 /3 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
Dash hot pepper sauce
Dash salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Another:

1 cup mayonaise
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne

This is the closest to what I made one time. I actually started off with the one they say is Big Bob's above, but hated it as it was way sweet. I can't recall if I settled on using horseradish or not. I didn't use any cayenne, or corn syrup, and I used just a little bit (1/2-1 tsp maybe) of sugar. Big Bob's that they make is pretty good. We had a local joint here in B'ham that did it a little better IMO. The key here is, IMO, use finely ground pepper, and just enough sugar to "mellow" it a weee bit. It should not be sweet. If you think you'd like some more heat, Id personally go the horseradish route before I'd go hot pepper or hot pepper sauce route, but that's just me. Big Bobs, and the local place here that is now closed serve this dipping sauce beside a half a chicken slow cooked over a hickory pit. You use your fingers to pull the chicken off the bone and dip. If it were me making it again, I'd start with that last recipe, and leave out the cayenne, and add that much more black pepper, and add the sugar (corn syrup would work too, just not near as much as in that first recipe...about 1Tbl). Then Id cool it to let the flavors marry, and see what adjustments it needed. I like heat when it "fits" the flavors. To me this is not a place for heat beyond that that black pepper gives, but that's just me.

The base of the sauce is pretty obvious. Which direction you choose to take it after that is purely up to your individual tastes.

Last edited by .280Rem; 02/16/08.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

S
S
.280Rem, According to my book " Love, Peace and Barbeque", your
third recipe is the correct one, Don McLemore and Chris Lilly gave the author of the cookbook, Mike Mills the recipe and said the orginal owner had given it out so many times, that they didn't see the point in keeping it a secret, the Peanut butter pie is a different story. My daughter ran indoor track at the racking horse arena last year so I got a weekly dose of Big Bob's. Hope this helps, Saxon. War Eagle.

Last edited by saxon; 02/17/08.
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Saxon,

War Eagle!

Thanks for the tip!

And welcome. Go to the campfire forum and introduce yourself...glad to have another Aubie on board.

My stepson ran up there at the indoor horse arena last year too with Thompson Middle School.

Don't be a stranger!

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll be honest, from looking at the ingredients (Mayo!?!?!?), I can't imagine what you would use this sauce for.
Must be an Auburn thing. I like a mustard or tomato based sauce myself. crazy

Sam

Sam......

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sam,

Smoked or grilled chicken. It's very popular in Huntsville at Big Bob Gibson's BBQ.

War Damn Eagle!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ahhhhhhhhhh. That explains it then. Thanks Jim

Sam......

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A local hispanic restaurant that is well patronized for its smoked chicken (rotating racks) uses a Mayo based sauce for daubing on the pollo. Its real tasty. I can't find anything like it in the stores, so maybe 280's concoction will be close. Don

S
S
I thought some of you might like the recipe for the chicken the white sauce goes with, I've made it before and it's extremely good.

1 whole chicken cut in halve( we just use leg quarters)
fine kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

season chicken with salt and pepper, smoke over hot coals and hickory at 300-350 degrees for 3-4 hours, halfway through baste chicken with oil and reapply salt and pepper.When chicken is done dip in prepared white sauce immediately, transfer to a rack and allow to rest several minutes, Serve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
280Rem, Thanks for the recipes. Will try the third one as hinted it is the real McCoy as well as the others.

Others have said that this is a sauce not for everyone accustomed to traditional "Q" sauce.
Might mix in some TUNA if it doesn't go well laugh wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be honest, from looking at the ingredients (Mayo!?!?!?), I can't imagine what you would use this sauce for.
Must be an Auburn thing. I like a mustard or tomato based sauce myself.

Sam

Sam,

Smoked or grilled chicken. It's very popular in Huntsville at Big Bob Gibson's BBQ.

Don't knock it 'till you try it. Though it's easy to make, it's one of their best sellers in bottle form @ their Decatur, AL store. It and their red & mustard base sauces are popular enough that our local Wal-Mart carries it. IMO, it's flat out good stuff on both BBQ chicken and turkey. And speaking of turkey, you'll likely find none finer than what Big Bob's sells.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (219 Wasp, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,828
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.