Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2068272 03/06/08
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is an old comfort food for me. My mother used to make it a lot. It's one of those recipes that will differ with every cook, but this is my fave. I just love it on white bread with some salty chips.

Tuna Salad

2 cans Tuna in oil, chunky, drained and rinsed
2 hard-boiled eggs chopped
1-2 celery stalks finely chopped
� small onion finely chopped
�- � cup sweet salad pickles/relish, drained**
� cup plus of Mayo*
� - 1 tbl grated onion

Mix all thoroughly, and chill. It wont really be right until it's chilled through and through.

I serve as a sandwich on plain white bread, and maybe add lettuce and tomato, or as a cracker spread.

* The Mayo is an approximate amount, and it's a by feel thing. I don't like it to be swimming in Mayo. The salad should ball up nicely if you scooped it, and not be too thin. I like Dukes or Kraft Mayo.

**The sweet relish is what makes this for me. If you think sweet wont work, then that's where you can change this whole recipe.

I'll be interested to see other's versions here for me to try out too. Enjoy.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As you said 280 there are many variations. Here is a real antique from the days before refrigeration. My Grandfather first made and fed this to me long long ago on a squirrel hunt.

Can of oil packed tuna lightly drained. Preferably opened with a pocket knife.
Half a yellow onion roughly chopped
A couple of sour pickles chopped (not dill, not sweet, not kosher, sour pickles only)
Wet the mix with apple cider vinegar to desired consistency.

Forgot to add: a few broken up native pecans to the above mix. laugh

BCR

Last edited by Boggy Creek Ranger; 03/06/08. Reason: Woops

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like dill relish, more onion, capers, chopped green olives and diced red bell pepper. Almost anything you do with Tuna Salad works. smile

Sam......

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I like dill relish, more onion, capers, chopped green olives and diced red bell pepper. Almost anything you do with Tuna Salad works. smile

Capers! Interesting! Especially vs. the sweetness of my recipe!

Red Bells, could give a different level of sweet too!

Olives I'd have to try to know, but I'm not really getting that fitting, but hey, who knows?

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll make tuna with chopped onions, garlic, olive oil and cannelini beans with salt pepper and a little parsley. I'll also make it with mayo on rye bread with american or munster cheese grilled in a cast iron pan. I ate so many tuna sandwiches on Wonder Bread growing up, I can't bring myself to say I like tuna but those are the two ways I'll eat it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All the resipes are palatible..:)
Commercially canned tuna needs to be chunk, albacore and in sild oil.
Better yet catch and 'can' your own tuna..:)

I like sweet pickles..walla walla onions minced in the mix.

REAL mayo..and the bread..just lightly toasted but cool..with a tall glass of sweet iced tea with lemon and maybe some good potatoe chips..Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While I am not fussy about most things, canned tuna is one thing that is an exception. If I am going to have canned tuna, it has to be white tuna. When I open a can of the other tuna, I always feel like I am looking at what was swept up off of the cannery floor at the end of the day. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've never put egg in tuna salad before. Sounds good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep - white tuna/albacore and the only difference between the way Mom made it and the first one is she did not put eggs in it. On white bread, plain or lightly toasted.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Being a mutt(yankee/southerner blend), here is a version that Wegmans sells here that is quite tasty. Of course you can always add your olives and capers as I'm a fan of both but I've just never tried it that way.

1 (12 ounce) can albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
2 green onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1/4 cup slivered carrots
1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds
1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
red leaf lettuce - rinsed

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been finishing all that Tuna we caught on the outter banks a while back. I smoke a few steaks then make salad with it. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to eat canned tuna again.
I worked briefly with Klaus Friednereich when I was pretty young. It's stretching the ole memory gears a bit but IIR Klaus was a certified Master Chef. Believe it or not he used a pinch of accent in his tuna salad. It was incredibly good. You can still find accent. It's pure MSG.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 73 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.