Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Neat piece, Steve NO.

I played golf at the University of Maryland several years ago with two aging ex-AF pilots who argued about everything (they were were good friends). It seems that one had flown the SR-71 and the other was a former U-2 pilot. Arguments went back and forth until the U-2 guy observed, "Well, at least the U-2 is still in service; let's go to a museum and see your SR".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great Story cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty cool. Unbelievably advanced plane for it's time.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
AWESOME!!!! I LOVE it!!!
For two years I worked for the company that made the aerial photographic cameras the went into the SR-71.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the link Steve, that was a great read.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here's the part I like; as I'm tooling along in my Cesena 120, at 65 Kts... grin

"One day, high above Arizona, we were monitoring the radio traffic of all the mortal airplanes below us. First, a Cessna pilot asked the air traffic controllers to check his ground speed. 'Ninety knots,' ATC replied. A twin Bonanza soon made the same request. 'One-twenty on the ground,' was the reply. To our surprise, a navy F-18 came over the radio with a ground speed check. I knew exactly what he was doing. Of course, he had a ground speed indicator in his cockpit, but he wanted to let all the bug-smashers in the valley know what real speed was 'Dusty 52, we show you at 525 on the ground,' ATC responded. The situation was too ripe. I heard the click of Walter's mike button in the rear seat. In his most innocent voice, Walter startled the controller by asking for a ground speed check from 81,000 feet, clearly above controlled airspace. In a cool, professional voice, the controller replied, 'Aspen 20, I show you at 1,742 knots on the ground.' We did not hear another transmission on that frequency all the way to the coast."

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely phenominal aircraft! Thanks for posting the link Steve.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I remember when a SR flew from New York to London in an hour and fifty six minutes. She had to slow down to be refueled................... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to work with a retired Navy pilot who told me of a fellow pilot whose tail hook fell off into the ocean as he was making a carrier landing in the Atlantic. That pilot aborted the landing, of course, and buzzed-off to the west �

� and was back that same afternoon, with a new tail hook. He'd gone to the factory in St Louis and had a new tail hook fitted. It was unpainted, but the white hats aboard the carrier took care of that "problem."

We've had fast jets for a long time � some of 'em a lot closer to the water than the super-incredible U-2 and SR-71.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DMB
AWESOME!!!! I LOVE it!!!
For two years I worked for the company that made the aerial photographic cameras the went into the SR-71.

It was my job to read the photos. wink

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
thanx for story the sr71 and the p51 mustangs are my two all time favorite plans

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There's Rhino fast and then there is Habu fast.

[Linked Image]

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great article.

And now I'll wonder what 'habu fast' really is.

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve
Pretty cool. Unbelievably advanced plane for it's time.

It's incredible that 45 year old SR-71 aircraft technology is still state of the art today--and in some respects has yet to be surpassed.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
� It's incredible that 45 year old SR-71 aircraft technology is still state of the art today--and in some respects has yet to be surpassed.

Thanks to Kelly Johnson (designer of the old twin-boom P-38, IIRC), his crew at the "Skunk Works," and their "out of the box" brain-storming � an outstanding lead designer, a staff of creatively and innovatively imaginative designers, and super-intelligent ways of thinking (creating impossible problems and then solving 'em).

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

I was one of those that would congregate. As an airborne ASW operator in the Navy flying in land based P-3's, we ended up spending a lot of time at AF bases. Spent a couple weeks at Beale for some ground school training. Of course, take-offs and landings were never advertised, but if we were hanging around when the Blackbird hanger doors were opened, we would sneak over by an adjacent hanger and watch until it rolled out and took off.

I got to see 4-5 take offs and a couple landings.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Great story.

When I just got into elk camp in Idaho about 30 years ago I was getting my stuff organized at base camp to ride out to the spike camp the next morning. Everything was peaceful and quiet when all of a sudden two of the loudest explosions I had ever heard seemed to go off immediately on the other side of the tent canvas. I pealed out of there as startled as I had ever been and about as mad, expecting to confront some joker with a 338 BAR who touched a couple off right outside the tent. No one was around. I was completely befuddled and finally found the gorgeous wife of the head guide getting supper ready in the cook shack. I expected her to be as frantic as I was, but she appeared not even aware of the incredible booms that sounded like a couple of mountains fell down in the camps yard. Finally, after playing me for a while, she told me it was a SR71 Blackbird based just a few miles away. I heard the same double sonic booms several more times during the hunt and while they always were a bit startling in that peaceful nirvana, at least I knew what they were.

There's a SR71 at the Air Museum between Omaha and Lincoln just off Interstate 80. It's suspended on a huge pole just inside the door. I have a hard time pulling myself away from staring at it when I'm there, much as it were the most beautiful woman you can imagine displayed in all her glory. Actually, I think that plane has the stronger attraction. blush

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mach 3.5 is moving pretty good...2695 MPH.

Those other fast jets couldn't super cruise and the SR 71 (should have been the RS 71 but a typo changed it forever) could do so with great ease. It will be a long time before we ever admit to having anything that fast again.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the things that has amazed me with the SR71 is that about a dozen guys sitting in something called "The Skunk Works", using pencil and paper with slide rules dreamed up something like the SR71.

I've seen the SR71 up close and personal and flying an incredible aircraft.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,842
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.